LED Headlights

Spiderwatts_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I just received the new issue of Hot Bike, I know it’s mainly HD bikes, but I’ve owned a few HD’s and it’s a nice reading magazine with some nice scenery with female models too.
Anyway, Drag Specialties advertises quite a few LED headlight assemblies, all round light shells and they appear to have a nice shell to enhance the LED bulbs with proper use of reflector and LED bulb. Not sure if they are plug and play or if a regulator is needed because of compatibility with lighting. But I wonder if they could be used on our pre ‘17 non LED headlight bikes with some minor mods to headlight shell and little to no wire cutting.
Are there any lighting experts here with any advice or experience with these or other aftermarket LED headlights we could get for our bikes?
I would guess a lot of us would be interested in this upgrade. It would still look stock, hopefully add some brighter and longer reaching light, and reduce heat and battery drain.
Just an idea. It looks like most of new bikes are headed towards LED headlights.
 
If you check Amazon for 7 inch Sunpie you can get a nice LED light with 1/2 halo and directional function for 49.95
I also bought a new 7 inch metal black Satin finish bucket it fits into perfectly for 59.99
This bucket will require you to trim about 3/8 inch off the back with a dremel to clear the ignition switch gear.
Light is much better and wider than stock.
I just installed on my 2014 STD 10 days ago
 
Mscb1100_imp said:
If you check Amazon for 7 inch Sunpie you can get a nice LED light with 1/2 halo and directional function for 49.95
I also bought a new 7 inch metal black Satin finish bucket it fits into perfectly for 59.99
This bucket will require you to trim about 3/8 inch off the back with a dremel to clear the ignition switch gear.
Light is much better and wider than stock.
I just installed on my 2014 STD 10 days ago
Good info. If you install a Dart Marlin flyscreen, it comes with new bucket brackets, which extend the bucket ~2 inches forward for the flyscreen to have the proper angle. That should eliminate the need to modify the bucket.
 
I am lecktrickly challenged. It's all magic to me. Relays and resistors, blah, blah, blah. And it hurts. If anyone should happen to do one of these mods a post WITH PICTURES would absolutely be wonderful. I need LED in my life. The CB isn't too bad but I swear there is only a candle in my T100 headlight. Both bikes would get the treatment.
 
Yes, there's a plug in the bucket that plugs into the back of that stock headlight. Many of the LED offerings duplicate the socket so it just unplug old and plug in new. The bucket and ring are the only complex part of this upgrade.
 
It would be interesting to see if the accessory LED lamps are brighter than the 2017 LED lamp fitted to the 1100RS(&EX?). I suspect if chosen carefully (lumens o/p) the accessory lamps may be brighter . from looking at similar for my GSXR750 I could find lamps that were claimed 4800 lumens and some that were 1/2 that. I don’t know what the oem cb11rs lumen o/p is but suspect it won’t be super high due to construction use regs and from my own experience of riding in the dark the lamp o/p is ok but not brilliant (no pun intended)
 
camoto_imp said:
Yes, there's a plug in the bucket that plugs into the back of that stock headlight. Many of the LED offerings duplicate the socket so it just unplug old and plug in new. The bucket and ring are the only complex part of this upgrade.
Now that i can handle. :thumbsup:
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Mscb1100_imp said:
If you check Amazon for 7 inch Sunpie you can get a nice LED light with 1/2 halo and directional function for 49.95
I also bought a new 7 inch metal black Satin finish bucket it fits into perfectly for 59.99
This bucket will require you to trim about 3/8 inch off the back with a dremel to clear the ignition switch gear.
Light is much better and wider than stock.
I just installed on my 2014 STD 10 days ago
Good info. If you install a Dart Marlin flyscreen, it comes with new bucket brackets, which extend the bucket ~2 inches forward for the flyscreen to have the proper angle. That should eliminate the need to modify the bucket.
Good info. If you install a Dart Marlin flyscreen, it comes with new bucket brackets, which extend the bucket ~2 inches forward for the flyscreen to have the proper angle. That should eliminate the need to modify the bucket.
That is a perfect solution for eliminating trimming the new bucket,
 
Thread starter
Since I am throwing money in the wind, (does it ever stop?;), I have the Comet 2 fairing on the way. Does anyone have experience with one of these plug and play LED light/shells AND using the Comet fairing?
I apologize for the late post, I seem to be alone on the forum at this hour, but just finished working and one of my highlights of the day is checking my motorcycle forums and motorcycle daily internet site.
Even after all these years of riding I still get excited reading, learning, and riding bikes. The internet makes things so much easier and informative from the past. We definitely live in the best of times.
I wish all you fellow forum members lived here in God’ s country( Louisiana) so you could ride nearly year round or meet up with me to ride or chew the fat, or have a high ball or two while telling tales of travel or bikes. Take care fellow CB1100 riders. Especially the standard 6 speeds in black. They are the fastest.
 
Spiderwatts_imp said:
Since I am throwing money in the wind, (does it ever stop?;), I have the Comet 2 fairing on the way. Does anyone have experience with one of these plug and play LED light/shells AND using the Comet fairing?
I apologize for the late post, I seem to be alone on the forum at this hour, but just finished working and one of my highlights of the day is checking my motorcycle forums and motorcycle daily internet site.
Even after all these years of riding I still get excited reading, learning, and riding bikes. The internet makes things so much easier and informative from the past. We definitely live in the best of times.
I wish all you fellow forum members lived here in God’ s country( Louisiana) so you could ride nearly year round or meet up with me to ride or chew the fat, or have a high ball or two while telling tales of travel or bikes. Take care fellow CB1100 riders. Especially the standard 6 speeds in black. They are the fastest.
Yes check my post above (link duplicated below). I was using a Comet 1 and had no issues.

Another thing, I keep seeing mention of bucket trimming. Mine did not need any trimming. Not sure if it's the same bucket as the one that needs to be trimmed but using the stock bucket brackets I didn't have to trim anything.

JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 Headlight
 
Spiderwatts_imp said:
Since I am throwing money in the wind, (does it ever stop?;), I have the Comet 2 fairing on the way. Does anyone have experience with one of these plug and play LED light/shells AND using the Comet fairing?
I apologize for the late post, I seem to be alone on the forum at this hour, but just finished working and one of my highlights of the day is checking my motorcycle forums and motorcycle daily internet site.
Even after all these years of riding I still get excited reading, learning, and riding bikes. The internet makes things so much easier and informative from the past. We definitely live in the best of times.
I wish all you fellow forum members lived here in God’ s country( Louisiana) so you could ride nearly year round or meet up with me to ride or chew the fat, or have a high ball or two while telling tales of travel or bikes. Take care fellow CB1100 riders. Especially the standard 6 speeds in black. They are the fastest.
I'm in Jackson, MS area, are you around south LA (N O or BR) those aren't too far away from me, I usually work around north LA in Monroe 3-4 times per month and is only 2 hours away.
Would love to meet up somewhere to go for a ride and or coffe
 
Im usually getting up at 5:48 am ( for the second or third pee lol).

So spiderwatts ..you check motorcycledaily.com eh? Post over there under what? I'm one of the regulars over there as are several other forum members here. I post under mickey (small m)
 
camoto_imp said:
Spiderwatts_imp said:
Since I am throwing money in the wind, (does it ever stop?;), I have the Comet 2 fairing on the way. Does anyone have experience with one of these plug and play LED light/shells AND using the Comet fairing?
I apologize for the late post, I seem to be alone on the forum at this hour, but just finished working and one of my highlights of the day is checking my motorcycle forums and motorcycle daily internet site.
Even after all these years of riding I still get excited reading, learning, and riding bikes. The internet makes things so much easier and informative from the past. We definitely live in the best of times.
I wish all you fellow forum members lived here in God’ s country( Louisiana) so you could ride nearly year round or meet up with me to ride or chew the fat, or have a high ball or two while telling tales of travel or bikes. Take care fellow CB1100 riders. Especially the standard 6 speeds in black. They are the fastest.
Yes check my post above (link duplicated below). I was using a Comet 1 and had no issues.

Another thing, I keep seeing mention of bucket trimming. Mine did not need any trimming. Not sure if it's the same bucket as the one that needs to be trimmed but using the stock bucket brackets I didn't have to trim anything.

JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 Headlight
Yes check my post above (link duplicated below). I was using a Comet 1 and had no issues.

Another thing, I keep seeing mention of bucket trimming. Mine did not need any trimming. Not sure if it's the same bucket as the one that needs to be trimmed but using the stock bucket brackets I didn't have to trim anything.

JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 Headlight
The link shows the exact same bucket I purchased, but it would strike the ignition cylinder when I tried to install it.
Luckily I could trim it and then install some door edge guard around the incision.
Mine is a 2014 Standard
 
I see. No trimming was needed on my 13. That's interesting that there's that much difference in clearance. I wonder if the stock buckets are also different.
 
There is a difference in the 13 and 14 dlx buckets and its the shape and size of the hole in back if I'm not mistaken.
 
The ferret_imp said:
There is a difference in the 13 and 14 dlx buckets and its the shape and size of the hole in back if I'm not mistaken.
Good call-- entirely different part numbers too:

2014 61301-MGC-N20
2013 61301-MCE-H50
 
The ferret_imp said:
There is a difference in the 13 and 14 dlx buckets and its the shape and size of the hole in back if I'm not mistaken.
That's probably due to the upgraded instrument cluster that first showed up on the '14 models. The cluster is substantially larger than the pre-'14 version.
 
Back
Top