LED headlight bulb fitment

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
I did some searching on upgrading to an LED headlight bulb, but didn't see anything jump out except for a full Motodemic upgrade which is very pricey.

I'm looking to see if anyone has upgraded their H4 headlight bulb to an LED bulb. Since those require a bit more room behind the bulb in the headlight bucket, not sure if there's enough clearance.

If anyone knows if it would fit or not, I'm all ears. Thanks!
 
Thread starter
That's what I need to know. Thanks! Actually, just realized that I have an LED in my Bonneville. I could swap to the CB and see if it fits quite easily. And see if the beam looks adequate. Thank you!
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
That's what I need to know. Thanks! Actually, just realized that I have an LED in my Bonneville. I could swap to the CB and see if it fits quite easily. And see if the beam looks adequate. Thank you!
There you go smart rider :thumbsup:
:beerchug:
 
Thread starter
In my case, looking for a more noticeable beam for visibility. I ride in traffic, day and night. Not as concerned about how far I can see down the road as I am how easily cars can see me coming, particularly in different ambient light conditions. If a brighter light gets someone to notice me more than their phone, it's worth it. Just what I do with all of my bikes, and knock on wood, it's worked so far.
 
You might be right about being more noticed due to the "shimmering" effect of some LED headlights.

I have found so far that in terms of lighting up an area, seems to be many examples where the coverage was less than modern halogen bulbs. I realize there are superior solutions available (some demonstrated at this Forum), but in person I have not seen many. I reckon in the matter of time, all LED illuminators will perform consistently well.
 
You know it's funny, my FJR has supposedly the lastest and greatest led headlights ( that supposedly are also extremely expensive to replace). Ive had it for 10 months, about 14,000 miles but have yet to ride it at night to see how they work. Have little desire to ride in the dark anymore, and no reason to really.
 
Thread starter
I'll mostly be lighting up the back bumper of whatever is in front of me. My Bonneville had a very weak suck factory headlight, even with a Silverstar Ultra bulb. When I put an LED bulb in it, it didn't really put out any more light on the road, but the headlight itself was much brighter. Plus, the LED headlight combined with the two lower, smaller LED spotlights gave a triangle that was three consistent looking lights, which is what I'm going for with the CB as well.

Turns out, my former employer just absorbed a company that makes LED bulbs, and yesterday I talked them into sending me a pair to test out.

Funny thing - I was actually shopping the Yamaha FZ09 when I bumped my head and realized that a CB1100 was what I really wanted. The FZ went from a halogen to an LED headlight in '17, and lots of people on their forum say that the headlight beam actually got worse with the switch to LED.
 
Agreed....for me, the LED lamp was absolutely an "upgrade". It was the easily the most bang-for-your-buck upgrade I've made to the bike.
Still highly recommended.
 
Thread starter
Well, shoot. Got a pair of H4 LED bulbs from my former coworker, and it's too tight a fit in the '13s headlight bucket. I'll take them and put them in my wife's CRV. She's always complained that the headlights are weak. Just ordered a Native HR2 from ADVmonster, and we'll see how that does.
 
I got a pair of $8.xx "cree" (I think) H4 bulbs from ebay after a facebook recommendation on a cb1100 pg. A couple days after I ordered, the person who recommended it admitted he didn't know if it would fit in the headlight. Puzzling since I asked for recommendations for the CB.

Anyway, it didn't fit. Until, I got a hammer out and beat the end down, then forced the housing back in place. Had to leave off the rubber boot. I have to admit, it works very very well; so much better than stock bulb. And, I have a spare. However, I' probably try to find a shorter one (or pair) next time.
 
Thread starter
Heck, the Native HR2 bulb fits the standard H4 headlight dimensions and was no problem to install. Check it out: AdvMonster.com is for sale | HugeDomains
The pictures show this bulb next to a normal halogen H4. Same dimensions.

Very happy with the fit, and the light output. Best part is, with the heat sink on the bulb side of the assembly, not sticking out the back, there's no worry about overheating and melting the wiring in the headlight bucket. Bought another one for the Bonneville. It looks cool through the headlight lens too.
 
Back
Top