LED Flasher Relay

hardylt_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Apologies if this is a tired question, I'm new here...but I am installing LED turn signals on my 2014 standard and trying to find a good replacement flasher relay that is friendly with our bike. Seems like the dual blinker/running light function of the front signals adds some complication to things (and also makes my resistors very hot very fast...)

From my searches here it's clear there was a good relay made by POSH specifically for the CB1100 (called 090015-WR) recommended by Kmoney and others...but it's discontinued and out of stock. Has anyone had luck with any others? Posh makes this other one (090015-W1) that looks like the first one, but I can't tell if it will function the same...has anyone had luck with that one? POSH : Wide Watt Turn Signal Position Relay for HONDA (LED Only) [090015-W1]

Thanks for any help!
 
Thread starter
cj599_imp said:
What are you doin with the stock signals ? Im not sure about the relay question
If history is any indication then I'm probably going to put them in an unlabeled cardboard box in my shop with other random bike parts collecting dust until I die
 
hardylt_imp said:
cj599_imp said:
What are you doin with the stock signals ? Im not sure about the relay question
If history is any indication then I'm probably going to put them in an unlabeled cardboard box in my shop with other random bike parts collecting dust until I die
If history is any indication then I'm probably going to put them in an unlabeled cardboard box in my shop with other random bike parts collecting dust until I die
:rofl: Been there!
 
In use this one, (or one of many similar ones) from Amazon:
AUDEW 2-Pin Electronic Turn Signal Flasher Relay - Fix Motorcycle Turn Signal Hyper Flash
It's $11 shipped with Prime, and has an adjustment on the bottom, so suitable for different wattage standard bulb, or LEDs. or fine-tune the flash rate.

.
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
In use this one, (or one of many similar ones) from Amazon:
AUDEW 2-Pin Electronic Turn Signal Flasher Relay - Fix Motorcycle Turn Signal Hyper Flash
It's $11 shipped with Prime, and has an adjustment on the bottom, so suitable for different wattage standard bulb, or LEDs. or fine-tune the flash rate.

.
Thanks for the link...potentially dumb question though: from a wiring perspective how would that replace the stock relay? As I understand it, the stock relay has 8 pins (4 in and 4 out)
 
Not dumb Hardy. I was wondering too.
 
Interface is on the wiring diagram. No internal schematic that I’m aware of.
 
I haven't the wiring diagram, but is it one of those "one-in, many out" device drivers? Or "many-in, many out" sort of arrangements?
 
The ferret_imp said:
hardylt_imp said:
cj599_imp said:
What are you doin with the stock signals ? Im not sure about the relay question
If history is any indication then I'm probably going to put them in an unlabeled cardboard box in my shop with other random bike parts collecting dust until I die
If history is any indication then I'm probably going to put them in an unlabeled cardboard box in my shop with other random bike parts collecting dust until I die
:rofl: Been there!
If history is any indication then I'm probably going to put them in an unlabeled cardboard box in my shop with other random bike parts collecting dust until I die
:rofl: Been there!
i just wish i had some turn signals lol
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
I haven't the wiring diagram, but is it one of those "one-in, many out" device drivers? Or "many-in, many out" sort of arrangements?
Oh, that's right. Forgot they have made something simple into something difficult. Never mind, that flasher only works for bikes that don't use the same circuit for running lights and turn signals.
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
I haven't the wiring diagram, but is it one of those "one-in, many out" device drivers? Or "many-in, many out" sort of arrangements?
Oh, that's right. Forgot they have made something simple into something difficult. Never mind, that flasher only works for bikes that don't use the same circuit for running lights and turn signals.
Oh, that's right. Forgot they have made something simple into something difficult. Never mind, that flasher only works for bikes that don't use the same circuit for running lights and turn signals.
Yea. Wish they hadn’t set it up that way. I don’t think my LED’s know what to do with that constant running light voltage either—they flicker a tiny bit at all times. Which is the main reason for this post. Hyperflash I can handle—flickering, no.

They are also the kind of signals that flash in that “progressive” style where it lights up from one side to the other quickly (the Nightrider signals from Oxford). It’s a mess. But I figure they’ll probably be ok with the right relay. When I can find it, that is.
 
Yeah, behaviour is a bit inconsistent between left and right. That might be an artifact of the electrics. Otherwise, the LEDs are likely PCM modulated, and hence the low flicker. LED modulation appears faster than most people can perceive with their eyes (sans video capture).
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Yeah, behaviour is a bit inconsistent between left and right. That might be an artifact of the electrics. Otherwise, the LEDs are likely PCM modulated, and hence the low flicker. LED modulation appears faster than most people can perceive with their eyes (sans video capture).
Interesting. You made me google PCM modulation and learn something. Either way I think running light power is the most likely culprit behind the flicker and abnormal resistor heat. I assume the relay is responsible for sending running light power to front signals? I wish I could just remove the connector pin or whatever wiring is actually making that happen. But I don't know specifically what's doing it.

I think at this point I just have to start trying LED relays. I'll report back if I have any success...
 
Hardy, yes the relay does the signals and running lights.

Give me a minute and check your PM.
 
hardylt_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Yeah, behaviour is a bit inconsistent between left and right. That might be an artifact of the electrics. Otherwise, the LEDs are likely PCM modulated, and hence the low flicker. LED modulation appears faster than most people can perceive with their eyes (sans video capture).
Interesting. You made me google PCM modulation and learn something. Either way I think running light power is the most likely culprit behind the flicker and abnormal resistor heat. I assume the relay is responsible for sending running light power to front signals? I wish I could just remove the connector pin or whatever wiring is actually making that happen. But I don't know specifically what's doing it.

I think at this point I just have to start trying LED relays. I'll report back if I have any success...
Interesting. You made me google PCM modulation and learn something. Either way I think running light power is the most likely culprit behind the flicker and abnormal resistor heat. I assume the relay is responsible for sending running light power to front signals? I wish I could just remove the connector pin or whatever wiring is actually making that happen. But I don't know specifically what's doing it.

I think at this point I just have to start trying LED relays. I'll report back if I have any success...
So you suspect a weak relay hold state?
 
Back
Top