Leather Riding Gear

Mackerel_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
So in my over-zealous scouring of everything I want to buy when I get home I decided to start looking into leather jackets/gloves. I think I found the jacket I want based on a recommendation from a friend:
http://www.schottnyc.com/products/lifestyle/motorcycle

Now I need some gloves that match and more importantly are functional gloves going along with the cafe racer theme. Here is a pair I found that look decent, but I'm still not too sure about them:
http://www.returnofthecaferacers.com/2012/03/motorcycle-gloves-by-roland-sands.html

Anyone have any other ideas/comments?
 
I recently re-outfitted myself with motorcycle gear, started out looking for retro style leathers( sent one jacket back due to fit), ended up leaning towards CE Certified protection. I figure if I was going to spend >$500 on a jacket, I wanted it to have proper protection in case of a fall.
So far I've been buying Dainese...Racing leather jacket, gloves and boots.
It may be a tad racy looking for the CB, but I know if I fall it will be some of the best protection available.

In your above links, not so sure I like those gloves, the ribs look odd.

Here is what I ended up with.
http://www.dainese.com/us_en/motorbike/g-racing-pelle.html
Tall Motorcycle Boots | Men's & Women's High Riding Boots - RevZilla
Summer Motorcycle Gloves | Vented, Lightweight & Thin - RevZilla
 
Thread starter
Hiker:
I have looked into the racing stuff, but I just have this nagging sense to stay retro. Obviously I want to be safe in case of a crash, God forbid, so I may end up getting a racier set if I'm not just cruising around my neighborhood. The set you posted definitely looks nice. For the most part right now I'd be commuting to work, in which case I'll be wearing my flight boots, but I guess I need to invest in a pair to take on enjoyment rides.

Silascopathic:
Once I got shown that jacket I fell in love. I'm planning on getting fitted somewhere and trying to order the customized one. I figure if I'm paying that much I want it to fit properly.

The gloves I posted do look a bit strange, I just wanted to know if it was just me or other people felt the same so I guess I have my answer!
 
yea custom fitted all the way man! let me know how it goes! kinda not much time in Austin to have a leather jacket, but it does get around 30 in february... haha
 
I have had different makes of gloves over the years but last year I bought two different sets of Held gloves,they are not cheap but of the highest quilty.They many different styles end seasons gloves available but they fit extreemly well with excellent materials used.
 
Held makes great gloves, but you are right, they are NOT cheap.
 
silascopathic_imp said:
those are nice boots! I still love riding in a t shirt and shorts with my full face helmet... not the safest but I love it
Have you ever had a motorcycle accident or fall? Or seen someone who has? I would think if you have, you would want a little more coverage. But when I was 20 something I rode in t-shirts all the time, although usually long pants since shorts look weird on a motorcycle.
People always told me if I fell off doing 150 MPH, the only thing left of me would be my head in the helmet :-(
Billtannica_imp said:
I had ordered the "River Road Hoodlum Jacket " and sent it back.....I'm a thin guy and it was just a big crude cut piece of jacket, not much for style and fit.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
silascopathic_imp said:
those are nice boots! I still love riding in a t shirt and shorts with my full face helmet... not the safest but I love it
Have you ever had a motorcycle accident or fall? Or seen someone who has? I would think if you have, you would want a little more coverage. But when I was 20 something I rode in t-shirts all the time, although usually long pants since shorts look weird on a motorcycle.
People always told me if I fell off doing 150 MPH, the only thing left of me would be my head in the helmet :-(
Billtannica_imp said:
I had ordered the "River Road Hoodlum Jacket " and sent it back.....I'm a thin guy and it was just a big crude cut piece of jacket, not much for style and fit.
That's disappointing. I was already skeptical due to the lack of armor and your experience doesn't inspire any more confidence in the brand. Pity. It is a good looking jacket, just maybe more of a fashion accessory than protective gear.
 
Bates
Vanson
Fox Creek
Brooks
Schott
Dainese
Langlitz

Expect to pay $800 or more for a really good leather jacket with armor. however, if you don't outgrow it, it will still be a good leather jacket in 20 years.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Bates
Vanson
Fox Creek
Brooks
Schott
Dainese
Langlitz

Expect to pay $800 or more for a really good leather jacket with armor. however, if you don't outgrow it, it will still be a good leather jacket in 20 years.
I have one of my dad's leather riding jackets in the closet at home. It's older than I am (it's at least 40, maybe closer to 45 at this point), so I don't really want to wear it out riding. Plus it's a bit thin and it obviously doesn't have any armor in it... but it's still in really good shape and it's basically just sat in a closet for the last 20-something years. Leather will last a LONG time.

As far as the River Road stuff, I have not heard good things. I know over in the Warrior forums, there was a guy that went down due to a deer running into him, and his River Road jacket literally fell apart at the seams.
 
Gypped_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Bates
Vanson
Fox Creek
Brooks
Schott
Dainese
Langlitz

Expect to pay $800 or more for a really good leather jacket with armor. however, if you don't outgrow it, it will still be a good leather jacket in 20 years.
I have one of my dad's leather riding jackets in the closet at home. It's older than I am (it's at least 40, maybe closer to 45 at this point), so I don't really want to wear it out riding. Plus it's a bit thin and it obviously doesn't have any armor in it... but it's still in really good shape and it's basically just sat in a closet for the last 20-something years. Leather will last a LONG time.

As far as the River Road stuff, I have not heard good things. I know over in the Warrior forums, there was a guy that went down due to a deer running into him, and his River Road jacket literally fell apart at the seams.
The stitching is the most common point of failure in lower quality leather riding gear.
 
The problem with wearing leather, and I wear it a lot, and have for 41 years when I got my first Bates leather jacket (before that it was either a denim jacket in the summer and an old green Army coat in fall and winter) is its ability to absorb water if you get caught in a rainstorm, and it's inability to dry out in a reasonable amount of time. Plus the water weight it gains. There are waterproof leathers, with the leather having been treated with something, but I've never known anyone personally that had a set.

When I tour, I resort to Textile gear with armor, from Tourmaster usually, which will shed a light rain or most of a heavy rain for a short time, but still requires that you pack rain gear if you get caught in an all day soaker or Toad Strangler as we call them.

Still, there is a special place in my heart and closet for a good leather jacket or two, despite their shortcomings. Nothing says motorcycle rider to me than a leather jacket covered in bug guts.
 
Back
Top