Late December Lake Powell Road Trip

Frulk_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
With the recent discussion of skinny posts I'm trying to do my part. Also trying to rebuild the Seat Time section with detailed info and pics.

From Left to right: The orange 2 man tent will go on the lid of the top box. The zero degree sleeping bag (lows in the Powell area are projected to be 25 while I'm there) and Mexican blanket/inflatable sleeping pad and pillow/cooking gear/food etc. will go box inside the top box. The MSR and water bottles will go in the panniers (MSR on the left away from the exhaust and water bottles in the right.) Trying to keep the heaviest stuff low for center of gravity. Most everything I'm hauling with me is shown except for some small odds and ends and clothing items like extra socks. The Portable IPhone battery pack/charger will be placed under the seat and run by cable to phone. Right now the tank bag is empty but will fill up with jerky/dry salami/cheese/crackers/flask with single malt/small flashlight and headlamp.

7d8549bccf10d5e7f61c1a7b05c37ace.jpg


I still have plenty of room on the seat in front of the box for a dry bag and could put on a backpack. However, that cavernous box precludes that (but it is nice to have that option to carry additional luxuries if I wanted to).

1c1da380d21e2225657ce927600fa24f.jpg


Inside of the box with zero degree bag on top of cooking gear/food. NOTE: Crown Royal bags contain gear. Very handy for that.

f2b54127a7b75b878a7966de3279da5f.jpg
 
Very nice. This time of year, is it too iffy to attempt UT12 south of Torrey? There's some pretty good elevation south of there. Or are you planning to take the easterly route through Moab and Bluff?
 
Should be a fun trip.Looks like you planned and packed well. Have fun and ride safe.

I think I'm too old to sleep on the ground anymore..and walking around on my knees doesn't cut it. I have some great motorcycle camping gear. I should probably sell it all to somebody younger and more adventurous.
 
Looking forward to hearing about the ride, Frulk, and how the goes. It's nothing if not practical.

I'll be rethinking how I use mine on my next trip: I think I'll be putting only softer or unbreakable things in there. Even when it's full, things seem to get bounced around a lot.
 
Thread starter
12 South of Torrey would be impossible on a bike this time of year. That's going over the Boulder Plateau at a little over 9,000 feet. I'm heading into Grand Staircase from the east and plan to drive through the monument if the road is OK in the shadows of the canyon. I suspect there could be places with some black ice so I'll be very careful. It will be an out and back run this coming Wed. A few pics of what I'll be riding through. I did this trip 3 years back on the Guzzi and that's why it's in the pics.

Approaching the Moki Dugway switchbacks from the bottom out of Mexican Hat

7e16f5b7798f37ad9668bc9347985cdc.jpg


From the top looking down. Road is dirt/gravel mix

58433879fad308be223f7496c1785f7f.jpg


In Grand Staircase

be32e835de93023ce3b945606bbd42b3.jpg


On the Charles Hall Ferry out of Bullfrog heading east

e33259bf1df511b6eb3cce8a91f0a524.jpg


On the east side of Lake Powell a few minutes from the ferry dock

d304eac9c204e70d04d119b242cbdc70.jpg


Heading west towards Hite

e222f25590e633af8d1ca1e2825d6270.jpg


Anasazi Ruin

dc5dc0393f659d2011eb887c819d0c96.jpg


Colorado River Bridge looking west

de400209462664fd244eb7c8bb2305c9.jpg


Overlook east of the lake looking east towards Blanding

a934ca04b80e2fdada1d37c2ac662a5b.jpg


I'll be running the same route with the Honda and will take a lot of pics to post up.
 
We were in this area in a cage sooo many years ago. Your pictures bring back memories of what we saw, but also lament of what we missed. Looking forward to the pics from your latest foray into the area. We need to get out there on bikes someday. Someday.
 
Thread starter
Day one: I rolled out of Ogden for approx. 250 miles and ended up at Goblin Valley State Park around noon. Quickly unloaded bike because I had limited daylight and was working against the clock in both daylight and temperature. When I headed out of the park it was in the upper 30's.

Campsite in Goblin Valley: unloading the bike

2dbf516e8382cc83308e8db8f5a84df0.jpg


Campsite: different perspective

83b774b747693997adf037cb78e07acd.jpg


Random buttes on way into Hanksville

85d273d98682221d9ff08523c65d22ef.jpg


Rolled through Hanksville on the 26 and now heading west towards Capitol Reef:

Next few pics are on that stretch of road:

Looking west from the cockpit

9d48103742bdead206ba15ac3951ef2c.jpg


Random formation:

37e546eef903556780f75f1c22bf02f1.jpg


Somewhere around Factory Butte

4b7d4ce259b58b1f9ba8ed1a2bd3a411.jpg


Factory Butte: site of a minor environmental war over unrestricted atv use on public land

868775882a7405327a1e883bb664b1cc.jpg


Colorful hills heading west to Capitol Reef

cd88392c5d2bada5ac8e37bfb0ccb8d0.jpg


More colorful hills further down the road by Capitol Reef

e60722efd4a256b0a215c1b78ab04190.jpg


East Entrance to Capitol Reef. Really disappointed in this picture and how it came out. I rode past here for a few miles but stopped and turned around. The canyon narrows and with the river in there the road was covered with frost in the shadows and was becoming slick.

74476186ca892c57a0c26459c2dddeec.jpg


Discretion is the better part of Valor and all that. Instead I took a small detour to Notam, Utah, which is nothing more than a historical marker to a family and a small settlement. I'll stop here for now and post up the rest of the days pics tomorrow.
 
Lovely. I know these roads well. Looking forward to your next installment! Also curious to see if Lake Powell water levels have recovered a bit. I flew over Hite, Page and Glen Canyon Dam in October and the levels still looked a bit bleak.
 
Thread starter
Day One part two:

Some clarification: I stated earlier in this thread I was heading to Grand Staircase. I meant Capitol Reef. I live in this state and know better but always mix them up. Grand Staircase is further west and south and the only access from where I'm at is Hwy12 over the Boulder Plateau. At this time of year that's iffy on a bike considering the altitude is almost 4,000 feet higher from my current location.

Comments on the top box: One thing I didn't think about when mounting it is how much room I'd have when swinging a leg over the bike. I just kind of set it close to back of the seat more concerned about handling (trying to keep weight closer to rear axle). As it turns out even with heavy insulated boots it wasn't a problem clearing the box. Don't think I hit it once. The next thing I was concerned about was the effect on handling at speed (think tank slapper here). I got over the ton in gradual steps heading south to Hanksville. No issues whatsoever. Solid as a 4X4. Zero feedback/shimmy and so forth.

So, at the east entrance to Capitol Reef I made the decision to turn south to Notom. This was based on the white frost strips I could clearly see in the middle of the road in the shadows of the canyon.

Heading due South To Notom is a picturesque 12 mile +/- section of tarmac that eventually ends and turns to gravel and goes further down to Bullfrog and connects with the Burr Trail switchbacks.

This spot was an option for a campsite but I wanted to take pics at Goblin Valley so I nixed that. I'm looking southeast towards the Henry Mountains

03831a88483e3aabda8a0dc720f0afe7.jpg


Looking north to the Capitol Reef east entrance. The pics of the area just don't do it justice. The scale of things is hard to quantify. The sheer vastness of the area is lost unless you're standing right here in it. One of the reasons I have the bike in almost every pic is my meager attempt to provide some scale.

f201dd4a916bc048d4634e252f85606c.jpg


b1841fc9b894586c4996a7f6c4758649.jpg


4bd8de444b9c15ee96819db779e1df3f.jpg



Heading back into Goblin Valley State park. This is Temple Mountain in the back ground:

d68b4a3acb7321b4ade1099ee962ba91.jpg


The campground is to the left in the shadows of that wall:

d8315d25a70c745b4597f305cb4c4927.jpg


Self explanatory:

41bb48ea8a045dc80fcfd71068b718d5.jpg


Dinner and desert. 2 Cheese quesadillas with tobacco and a Melvin's Beer. Then port from a titanium bottle (imparts no taste) and chocolate. Besides myself there were two other spots in the campground taken. A woman with Colorado plates and a family in a decked out Mercedes Uber Van (seeing many more of these around here, almost all with out of state plates).

af21ffbf66108eedfe457eff76f239b0.jpg


My views from campsite for sunset:

5b7e0c1d7b7c0feb2012b052485776d9.jpg


As the cold started to nibble at me from the edges I decided to strike up a fire. Moving closer I sipped the port while Dark Side of the Moon played over the ear buds. No wind. No noise. Just those hoodoos looming over me with the ever consuming darkness enveloping us both. It had a very surreal feel to it all, magnified significantly by Pink Floyd.

7a977cc2a5aae4875427cd3cfe1ca51f.jpg


I have to end it here due to the 10 pic limit. Have a few more pictures of the first day to post and then will get on to the second day.
 
I am so envious of you right now. In my 25 years in the Army I've had the chance to visit somewhere around 40 countries on 4 continents (some much worse than others) and my absolute favourite place in the world is the American South-West.

My wife and I rode through that area on our way to Las Vegas on our epic 14,000km North American bike trip in 2008. I've been to quite a few deserts but none can match the majestic beauty of that corner of the US. I knew of Monument Valley but had never heard of Zion, Bryce Canyon or the other smaller parks and we didn't have the time to see all that is there.

I hope one day to return there on a motorcycle and spend at least a month amongst the rock and scrub hearing nothing but motorcycle exhaust echoing off the canyon walls during the day and howling coyotes at night.

Frulk my man, you are living large right now - my hat off you good sir.
 
Thread starter
Part three of day one: some left over random pics

Another shot of a the view from my campsite. This one is towards the north and the San Rafael Swell.

0a6310772ebd9777970047e1f797b447.jpg



Sleeping quarters. Pretty luxurious compared to what I have when backpacking.

fde5d97d0b1279fba2b77a0277e9fd92.jpg


Inside the park on the way to the actual valley for which the park is named after.

81ab7750f35f2b39add9369953f20454.jpg


Goblin Valley: Named because of the hundreds (if not thousands)of hoodoo's on the valley floor that look like a goblin army. This area was in the news a few years back when some boy scout leaders decided to topple a hoodoo because they felt it caused a safety risk. The buffoons decided to video it and post it on social media to boot. Never mind you could speak to a ranger within a couple of minutes on site if you thought it was a concern. Best time to be here is at sunset if you plan to take pics. in years past after dark parents would put headlamps on their kids and let them run through the valley. Kids love it. Parents are able to watch them from above in the parking lot. Good clean fun and something most will remember for the rest of their life's. Again this pic just doesn't do the little spot justice and surprisingly, I didn't see anything on the internet that was that much better.

f312033a6320886adf000d7006ffcc33.jpg


3acd2cee5bd07e0ec696fd8b2f2d8091.jpg


This now officially ends day one:
Day two: Hanksville to Bullfrog Marina and Halls Ferry: I folded camp up just before sunrise and headed towards Dukes Slickrock Grill and Campground in Hanksville. I spoke to somebody there on the way back from Notom, Utah yesterday and asked if I could park my truck and trailer there today for possibly overnight and I'd pay their camping fee when I get back. The person said yes and I pulled in here around 8 or 8:15 and unloaded the bike and topped it off with gas at the Hole in the Wall Gas station and parked in front of Blondies and went in and had steak and eggs for breakfast.

The only other people in there was a family of Japanese tourists. I wolfed down my food as I had a schedule to keep. I took off my jacket and put hand warmers in the inside pockets of my vest. I had on a base layer long sleeve shirt, a medium weight hoodie, Carhart vest and then an armored jacket with liner and three buffs around my neck to seal the bottom of the helmet.

On my lower half I had a thermal base layer with thermal sox that came over my calf, Carhart double fronted (chapped) pants, and thick leather chaps over all of it. Feet were ensconced in Fox mid-length warm/water proof boots. I noticed once I started to put on the Iron Man Replica Helmet I had the undivided attention of the young boy from the family. I made it a point to lower the internal smoked visor and dropping the tinted yellow shield with a modest thud while looking straight at him. I gave him a thumbs up and strode out the front door of that greasy spoon with a modified John Wayne swagger feeling pretty buff at that point with the jet black Icon jacket and chaps to set off the helmet.

Standing at the bike the current temp was 19 degrees and the buffness feeling evaporated quickly. Even with the hand-warmers at work I had somewhat of a sinking feeling about that number and what it signified. The fact I had to knock out 68 miles without it getting noticeably warmer was weighing on my mind. Trying to put a positive spin on things I reminded myself that sometime in the past my forefathers fought the Romans on the frozen Rhine wrapped only in fur skins. No hand-warmers, no base-layers, no Iron Man Helmet. It worked. I slung my right leg over the CB1100 Naked Sport Tourer of Justice, fired it up and pointed her south under a low mid-winter sun that was refusing to share it's life nurturing warmth with me. So be it! I left Hanksville surgically threading the fresh track someone left in the slowly receding frost on the road.

Blondies parking lot. I took the pic yesterday pm and that's why the shadows are cast from the west.

5ef063a6c9c9627b581e17f5debfeb7b.jpg


The next view pics are on the stretch of road heading to Bullfrog Marina where I would catch the Charles Hall Ferry to get to the other side (east) of Lake Powell.

Handful of miles outside Hanksville looking southwest at the Henry Mts:

3ed803204299f72d2ce8433d64459064.jpg


The Henry mt's, home to world class mule deer and the countries largest free ranging buffalo herd. A recent local article discussed how researchers were shocked to find that this herd is genetically pure. Zero inbreeding from cattle.

2794511b1beffebd4bda8b8840143444.jpg


Further down the road: looking west

62283977878e161f1690ca037b8f42ad.jpg


Mt Ellsworth tops out at a little over 8,000 feet. road elevation is close to about 5,000 feet at this point. On the other side of that is Lake Powell.

b528852e6d404724fcdbfa93531d93eb.jpg


The next two pictures probably more than any other typifies the varied terrain of the area. High (mostly) desert, sandstone buttes and outcroppings punctuated by low alpine terrain and ecosystems.

78bbe1ba9457ea12bb95b8eb0a13d87b.jpg


66bc25948b4b81a1428d6ae0d7a18bcb.jpg


The decent to Ticaboo, Utah. not gonna lie. Hit triple digits. with each half mile of road I was a picking up a degree of heat. It was as if somebody turned on the hairdryer. I was open visoring at this point.

1386d56ddc5793b571a4551dcb064030.jpg


At the Bullfrog Gas station and restaurant. Lots of medium sized rental units out of the water in dry dock for the winter or maint.

4b1ce5eaebffe59868ee146af9137941.jpg


I've hit the 10 pic limit again. Next is the ferry crossing of Lake Powell
 
Good night this is some great stuff.

Like W/R the American Southwest (well the northwest too) are just some of the most awesome places on earth. The wife and I are going back to Zion and Bryce this summer and I want to ride Grand Staircase Escalante, but just might have to go see those Henry Mountains too.
 
Thread starter
I just beat the ferry:

ccf2c7aead297934439ba4f1af99b912.jpg


Loading up it also appears I beat the rush hour:

242a1d68525b4644ea8009937685f1b3.jpg


5360f5df36690b2d511fab3a02aec115.jpg


53a8955d07820a3831c5f4db2b77ddc1.jpg


Looking back towards the marina as we're pulling away:

61b17356836755d3933d83e6a3c1a14d.jpg


Disembarking on the east side:

431c480e06357059360f916e5dbbb684.jpg


More pics from the east side:

a2902b3116812ad8f0bf1a7f9871bc37.jpg


db11613cf7305a94779614f12a519842.jpg


Looking back at the mts where I came from (between the center one and the one to the right:

effa807ea8353b69efdf1c4b567b5574.jpg


Now heading out towards Natural bridges. Pictures to follow in separate post.
 
Wow! What an amazing place. Thanks so much for sharing, Frulk. I’ll be following with interest.

By the way, if it helps, the picture limit is 14. :beerchug:
 
Great report! The third pic from the bottom of your last post is the incrediblest of all the photos (I just made up a new word...deal with it LOL)
 
Back
Top