Last Blast camps at Yarrangobilly

Pterodactyl_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Did a little over 3000kms from home to PI for the WSBK weekend. Camped out eight nights on the trip with Yarrangobilly being a stop for me on two nights. It lies in the Kosciuszko National Park. In Australia we call this "high country", which will bring a smile to those who live alongside real mountains. Still, it's a nice spot.

In the evening:
a92b91cda7043e0eff6c9c7f39f0cd2d.jpg


11b293a6c8af30dacc9fb325972ff512.jpg


79e8ea1ee10ba6f54fd6540d9822fa3a.jpg


158aedd20329d08660a9b4a4989d3503.jpg


In the morning:
8fbae99e6bb0340bc680a035df273a62.jpg


359cad87c5563444c1e8f00287200f4a.jpg


aff86f20e6c2f3a4496006e05390b014.jpg


Cheers
 
Doesn't look too much. How long does it take in the morning to get packed?

I like this small road in the background.
 
Thread starter
That is weather dependant. I like to pack a dry tent. If you look st one of the photos above you will see a heavy dew. I was up at 7:30, had a shave and freshen up in this creek.

65e0000b92facbe7201f8cbc6c02629c.jpeg



Then I cooked a breakfast of rolled oats and a cup of coffee, wiped the tent outer with a microfibre cloth, packed up and was on the road by 0910. By that time the kangaroos, or most of them, had gone back to bed after a heavy nights grazing.

So, if you just want to get up and hit the road, then 30 minutes is feasible. Taking your time over breakfast etc. would lead to an hour and a half to hit the road.

The road you commented on is a road running from Singleton to Dungog, in the Hunter region of NSW. Both Cormanus and I have ridden this road and like it.

Cheers
 
Beautiful countryside there Pterodactyl. Was that a designated campground or did you just pull off to the side of the road and set up camp?

Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
It's a designated campsite. The grass is cut by the Parks Service. No charges for camping there. All rubbish must be carried out. It's a beaut spot. Trout fisherman and hikers like this area. So do motorcyclists as it is in, and close to, some of the best riding in Australia.

Cheers
 
Very cool Ptero. I don't camp much (once a year with my brother these days) too hard for me to get up and down off the ground a couple times night. It's heck getting old.

You guys have chiggars in Australia or red bugs?

How did Nicky look in his debut in WSBK?
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Very cool Ptero. I don't camp much (once a year with my brother these days) too hard for me to get up and down off the ground a couple times night. It's heck getting old.

You guys have chiggars in Australia or red bugs?

How did Nicky look in his debut in WSBK?
Yep, we do have chiggers (Trombiculidae) in Australia. In fact they have a nearly world wide distribution. But I have to say that i have never really noticed them. In the Snowies, March (Horse) Flies are the most prominent pest. However they are rendered harmless by either external medication (insect repellant) or internal medication (Bundaberg Rum).

Yarrangobilly area has a healthy dingo population. If you are lucky, and stealthy, you can see them drinking from the creek, mainly at dusk. I like to sit at night and hear them call. Takes me back to camping at night with my Dad in North Queensland. By the way, Dingoes, despite being called wild dogs, do not bark.




The racing at PI was sensational. Nicky Hayden showed some of his talent but had some front tyre grip problems.. Disappointing. The outstanding performer was Michael van der Mark, a youngster who showed what he can do now that he has a good machine under him. Jonathan Rea was brilliant. In both races I thought he would be picked off in the penultimate or last lap. And so he was, but he fought back brilliantly. Rea is another man who has come good with a better bike.

The new two day, two race, format is good. I prefer it to the one day, two race, format. It is a bit hard on day trippers though. All in all the racing was top quality and eclipsed the last few rounds of MotoGP. Of little interest to others, but the Aussies really enjoyed the Australian Superbike racing. It too was hard fought with some class riders. A sensational support act to the WSBK.

Cheers
 
Looks like a great spot to overnight. I think a small tent strapped to the rack beats a motel room anytime. The views are so much better and the neighbors (usually four footed) are much more pleasant (unless they are bears).

e30aff183a9eca83a687c343e661f112.jpg
 
That's a mighty screen Flynrider. Camp looks good.
 
Thread starter
Frulk_imp said:
Good stuff Ptero! Love camping off the bike in remote places once or twice a year.
I can't get enough of it now. As a youngster I spent a lot of time camping in the bush with my Dad (he was a timber getter for some years). I loved it and he taught me so much. However fast forward a few years to leaving the army when I swore that I would never sleep on the ground again. And I didn't for ten years. Then a friend of mine, who had the luxury of having been in Armoured Corps, asked me to guide and mentor him and his family on a walk to the Stinson wreck in Lamington NP. In those days you couldn't do a "guided" walk there and it was considered to be a challenge, so I acceded to his request. I found that I again loved the bush experience. Not having a WO kicking me in the ribs to keep me awake after long periods of sleeplessness also enhanced the experience. So now when I get the chance to indulge myself with camping and motorcycling combined I take it. Doesn't get much better than to be woken by the Kookaburras and then ride a few hundred kilometres.

Cheers

CAUTION: this post may contain traces of nostalgia.
 
That's my winter/road trip screen. The one in the pic was destroyed by Bambi the following day. I really missed it a few days later when I had to ride through a hail storm.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Frulk_imp said:
Good stuff Ptero! Love camping off the bike in remote places once or twice a year.
I can't get enough of it now. As a youngster I spent a lot of time camping in the bush with my Dad (he was a timber getter for some years). I loved it and he taught me so much. However fast forward a few years to leaving the army when I swore that I would never sleep on the ground again. And I didn't for ten years. Then a friend of mine, who had the luxury of having been in Armoured Corps, asked me to guide and mentor him and his family on a walk to the Stinson wreck in Lamington NP. In those days you couldn't do a "guided" walk there and it was considered to be a challenge, so I acceded to his request. I found that I again loved the bush experience. Not having a WO kicking me in the ribs to keep me awake after long periods of sleeplessness also enhanced the experience. So now when I get the chance to indulge myself with camping and motorcycling combined I take it. Doesn't get much better than to be woken by the Kookaburras and then ride a few hundred kilometres.

Cheers

CAUTION: this post may contain traces of nostalgia.

Gee Pterodactyl, every time you post I learn a bit more about OZ. :thumbsup:

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXA0-YAoo9Q]Kookaburra call.
 
At least Yarrangobilly in NSW is the opposite end of the country from where Wolfe Creek Crater is located. After seeing the Wolf Creek movies, I wouldn't want to camp there :s

Have those movies hurt tourism much in North Western Australia?
 
Actually, Gumby, Wolf Creek is a lot closer to you than you think. I took this photo within spitting distance of the Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge in North Carolina.



See here.
 
Seems to be a popular name. Here's Wolf Creek Pass in the Colorado Rockies.

c2992fce84f4b5e18173a12a97a2c30f.jpg


88e9d8d2acecb95e63980eea16893c80.jpg


This part of my trip is something like a horror film, as I rode through a hail storm on the downhill side of the pass, sans windshield. Ouch!
 
Back
Top