larger rear tire

To the best of my knowledge, no one on this board has even replaced a rear tire yet, much less tried one any larger. As with anything else there will be disagreement on whether the stock rim will even accept anything larger as most tire mfgs don't recommend using anything wider on certain width rims, but some owners think they know better and will do it anyway. It has been discussed on this board and some feel it could handle a 150 width tire. I don't believe anyone has suggested going as large as a 180.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
To the best of my knowledge, no one on this board has even replaced a rear tire yet, much less tried one any larger. As with anything else there will be disagreement on whether the stock rim will even accept anything larger as most tire mfgs don't recommend using anything wider on certain width rims, but some owners think they know better and will do it anyway. It has been discussed on this board and some feel it could handle a 150 width tire. I don't believe anyone has suggested going as large as a 180.
My 1999 Magna VF750 came with a 120mm rear tire, and I installed a 150mm which was/is the widest tire the OEM rim could take safely. this set-up never gave me any trouble and it looks fantastic.
I think the CB1100 would look better with a 150mm tire because it is a wide bike with that wide engine block and it is asking for a wider tire IMHO. cheers.
 
aquasition_imp said:
how big of a tire, the OEM wheel can take? anyone?
you can do a 150 on the CB1100 wheel/Rim.

I plan on getting Avon Road Riders when my tires run out. Look at the last two rows, you will see the difference in dimensions,specs etc etc between the stock 140 and the wider 150 tire....


 
Personal observation; larger tire will look cooler but it can, depending on the profile, slow up the handling.
 
I can only speak for the German market, but here are rear tires in 160/60 dimension available from Bridgestone (BT23, T30) and they are officially released and technically approved for the CB 1100. These tire dimensions are mounted onto the stock rims.
 
ingobohn_imp said:
I can only speak for the German market, but here are rear tires in 160/60 dimension available from Bridgestone (BT23, T30) and they are officially released and technically approved for the CB 1100. These tire dimensions are mounted onto the stock rims.
Ingobohn..what does " technically approved" mean? By Honda or by Bridgestone? Or is it a governmental thing.
 
Keep in mind that there can be at least 10 mm difference in width between two tires from different companies in the same size. This depends on the profile and the tolerance allowed, I have had 130 tires on my bikes and they had the same width as a 120.
 
I think one thing to keep in mind here is that our bikes have radial tires( even though they are a odd size) . I don't see anything
wrong with putting bias tires on but you might have a rougher ride. Switch both.
Radials deform more when you put them on to small of a rim. So you get more strange handling issues.
Most of the tire Mfg. making a 160/60-18 in a sport touring tires are making it to fit a whole group of older late 90s BMWs.
They all had 4.5" rims on the rear. I mounted a lot of them.
I am very proud that in the last year my store was open ( 2012) I mounted right around 1000 tires myself. It was nice to go out
on a good note.
 
The ferret_imp said:
ingobohn_imp said:
I can only speak for the German market, but here are rear tires in 160/60 dimension available from Bridgestone (BT23, T30) and they are officially released and technically approved for the CB 1100. These tire dimensions are mounted onto the stock rims.
Ingobohn..what does " technically approved" mean? By Honda or by Bridgestone? Or is it a governmental thing.
Ingobohn..what does " technically approved" mean? By Honda or by Bridgestone? Or is it a governmental thing. Well, this is very special here in Germany.
In former times, a bike had a so called "tire binding" which means that the bike was only allowed to ride with specially "released" tires. The tires (brand, tire model, size, speed limit etc.) was stated in the "papers" (vehicle registration) which each drivers has always to carry with him. In case a police checks the bike and recognizes that the bikes uses other tires than stated in the docs, the driver was fined. When an accident happened and the insurance company showed that the accident could be fully or partly avoided with regular tires, the insurance can reject paying the bills.
So for example, if the papers state that tires from brand A (model 01), brand B (model 07) and brand C (model 11) are released, you were not allowed to use any kind of tires of brand D, E, ...
And even from brand a, B or C you were not allowed to use model 02, model 08 or model 12, and so on. It was really a pity. Especially, when you just hat 1 or 2 tires stated "in the papers", so you had very limited choice. And when the tire manufacturers deprecated producing the models which are for you, you had a massive problem. Then you had to do a check at the local technical governmental authority and show that this and that tire is also safe. But this was hard to do and cost lots of bucks.

Nowadays it changed (a bit), there is no more "tire binding" for newer bikes (the old ones still have). Now it is simple stick to the dimension and speed limit. E.g. for my CB 1100 I have front tires 110/80RM/C58V (V means up to speed limit of 240 km/h, 58 means a load index of 236 kg) and rear tires 140/70R18M/C67V.
But in the road regulation laws there is still a kind of fuzzy paragraph which says that even with the right dimensions either the bike manufacturer or the tire manufacturer must state that the tire/bike combination has a so called "clearance certification", i.e. either of the two simply means "it is safe riding this and that bike with this and that tires".

This topic here is an endless story full of discussions with of course different opinions. Some say it is still enough to have simply the right dimensions, some say you need this clearance certification".
My private opinion is that I only ride "released" tires for my bike because I do not want to risk to be fined or (what is even more worse) to lose my insurance coverage.
 
WOW...that is a lot of big brotherism....

I'm guessing there are no " darksider Goldwings" in Germany.
 
The ferret_imp said:
WOW...that is a lot of big brotherism....

I'm guessing there are no " darksider Goldwings" in Germany.
Some are more equal than others, so especially some Milwaukee Twins do show up in Germany with stuff (like exhaust pipes) you'd never find legally on another bike.
The other side of this coin is: If Bridgestone agree to use a wider rear tyre on the CB 1100 you can be sure they had this thoroughly tested under all circumstances, and it is safe even on ze Autobahn. :thumbsup:
 
Some here in the US mount "run flat car tires" on their Goldwings and some other models of motorcycles and they are known as Darksiders..as in went over to the dark side (I DO NOT WANT TO GET INTO THE DISCUSSION HERE IF THAT IS A WISE THING TO DO OR NOT..EVERYONE CLEAR?..I'M JUST MAKING A STATEMENT TO SUPPORT A QUESTION) so I would assume that would be strictly verboten and illegal in Germany?
 
I guess we have to add car tires on bikes to that list of things you posted that cause internet arguments, huh? ;)
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I guess we have to add car tires on bikes to that list of things you posted that cause internet arguments, huh? ;)
the list can never be long enough. If I said its fun to eat ice cream, it would start an argument.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I guess we have to add car tires on bikes to that list of things you posted that cause internet arguments, huh? ;)
the list can never be long enough. If I said its fun to eat ice cream, it would start an argument.
the list can never be long enough. If I said its fun to eat ice cream, it would start an argument.

Probably an accurate statement ;)
 
I agree that it is fun to eat ice cream.I work part time as a line server at a high class retirement center and can eat for free all the ice cream I want !
 
The ferret_imp said:
Some here in the US mount "run flat car tires" on their Goldwings and some other models of motorcycles and they are known as Darksiders..as in went over to the dark side (I DO NOT WANT TO GET INTO THE DISCUSSION HERE IF THAT IS A WISE THING TO DO OR NOT..EVERYONE CLEAR?..I'M JUST MAKING A STATEMENT TO SUPPORT A QUESTION) so I would assume that would be strictly verboten and illegal in Germany?
:thumbsup: Verboten indeed. And illegal. There are legal ways to get approval for different tyres or other parts, you have to find a licensed engineer who can test and approve the technical changes. For instance we also have these "darksiders", but only on motorcycles with sidecars. If you do not lean in curves a car tyre makes perfect sense.

On a completely unrelated topic, anyone seen anything like this before? The sound is awesome, too. :D
 
The ferret_imp said:
Deanohh_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I guess we have to add car tires on bikes to that list of things you posted that cause internet arguments, huh? ;)
the list can never be long enough. If I said its fun to eat ice cream, it would start an argument.
the list can never be long enough. If I said its fun to eat ice cream, it would start an argument.

Probably an accurate statement ;)
the list can never be long enough. If I said its fun to eat ice cream, it would start an argument.

Probably an accurate statement ;)
What about putting scooter tires on a motorcycle?

I say that jokingly, but that is exactly what I did with my Buell blast. They Beaube last has an oddball tire also and surprisingly there is a scooter that uses the same size tie or close to it. The scooter weighs two 300 pounds more than to be a blast. So it works. Haha


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Ok in America ... doubt it in Germany lol
 
Back
Top