Larger rear sprocket

PowerDubs_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I know several people have mentioned gearing for lower RPM...but I find my 14 plenty low enough rpm on the highway, even at speed.

I'm looking to give it a little more spunk. It is very popular on many other bikes to drop the front sprocket a tooth which is usually equal to going up 2-3 in the rear. This is usually done because the cost is less, and the work involved less as well.

I am not really a fan of that in the long run because the decreased radius makes for accelerated chain wear. IMO it is better to go larger on the rear sprocket but that sometimes involves a new longer chain as well.

Has anyone done either? Thoughts? Links to threads?

Thanks.
 
I think the guys putting a smaller rear/larger front sprockets are 2013 models with 5-speeds. Six speed models are geared plenty tall and don't have the top gear roll-on torque the 2013s have. In fact, 5th gear on a 2014 is taller than 5th on a 2013.

I agree that changing to a larger rear sprocket is far better than changing to a smaller front.
 
I had 2 more at the rear sprocket at my 2013 5-gear and found it much better.

The good thing is, speedometer is still right, as the speed is measured at the rear wheel and not in the gear box.

Bigger rear sprocket
 
I went smaller on the front. I love the acceleration. Any additional wear in my chain or tires is there because I do enjoy the performance. I'm on 17" wheels now too so that has added to the effect as well. I have had to ad a speed-o-healer for the speedometer with the wheel change. It was off less than 5mph.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I've done it both ends. One down on the front and two up on the rear.
With my engin mods making just shy of 100bhp it could pull more but I like to be able to use all the engine has. I can rev it out in 4th and still keep my licence... just!
I find 5k rpm + a great and harmonious place to be and usually keep the engine moving.
If I went back a tooth or so then I'd probably be able to get a few more tenths of a second on my 1/4 mile times, but it feels great and that's what it's all about for me.
6th still feels like an overdrive to me but now pulls more keenly when I do need to zip past something.
 
What mods have you made beardyweirdy? I have mine up to 93hp on the dyno. Thinking of doing something to the air intake.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
chync_imp said:
What mods have you made beardyweirdy? I have mine up to 93hp on the dyno. Thinking of doing something to the air intake.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've got the TSR Air Intake Mod and the Throttle Body Inlets that are larger.
Cat free header and it's lighter by quite a bit.

Super lively... feels great.
 
I have a power commander v and had it tuned on a dyno. I'm thinking of switching to pods.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I'm running STD airbox. I've had trouble running pods before but admittedly not with an injection bike, only on carbs.
I'm now running a Wide Band O2 Commander with the pcv. That could help if one did go down the pods route....

Got 97.8 before the WB2, which probably won't add any top end power but has made the low down, small throttle oppenenings much smoother and stronger. Feels just about right. Not sure I need any more power and the weight saving has made a massive difference. Very happy with it. I'd say the engine has lots of charecter...
 
Thread starter
Just needs a set of cams. :)

I'd be interested in seeing anyones dyno charts. If anyone wants to post- please also list any mods that would affect the curve.
 
Josh, metallyguitarded (who, sadly, we haven't heard of for a while) posted a dyno chart for his bike here.
 
I think both tsr air box mods and a cat free pipe will see you just shy of 100bhp at the rear wheel. Nobody's getting any higher than that. That's loads. With weight off the bike it feels fast and lively. Like you say it would have to be cams next, if you wanted to take it further. That would, I'm guessing, loose you some of the flexibility and low down power.
I've got a Versys 1000 as well. No doubt faster than the CB but it doesn't feel it. The number go up quickly but it doesn't feel as good.
Maybe new cams would change that charecter, depends what your after I suppose. I'm interested to see what it would put out tho ;-) someone got to do it soon..... anyone?
 
Thread starter
Just like my handlebars- I am going to look in Honda's parts bin for a larger rear sprocket.

I can't imagine that they made a specific sprocket only for this bike without something from another model of some other year that will bolt on...
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Just like my handlebars- I am going to look in Honda's parts bin for a larger rear sprocket.

I can't imagine that they made a specific sprocket only for this bike without something from another model of some other year that will bolt on...
Hey PD,

Were you able to find a larger rear sprocket? I'd like to know how it worked out. I'm considering doing the same.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
No.

From Honda all I can find in the U.S. in an OEM fitment is 41 or 43. I wanted 42.

The 599 uses a 42 but not in a 530 chain.

Apparently the early 90's 900RR used a 530 42 sprocket overseas that would fit, but not in the U.S. I was unable to find a part # for it.

It doesn't matter too much that it is OEM so I gave up and just purchased a 42 Sunstar steel sprocket.
 
Thread starter
I have not yet installed.

I have done the same gearing change (a little more aggressive) on several of my motorcycles and dirtbikes.
 
Back
Top