Lane splitting rules in California

that should help.....
the rule of staying within 10MPH while passing is a good rule for all vehicles when going past backed up traffic.
 
This is not so. Look at the date this was published and the fact that nothing has been passed in the state house. There was a bill going through committee earlier this year, but it was removed from consideration due to disputed over the limits and language in the bill.

Quote:Motorcycle lane-splitting rules unveiled
By Will Kane Updated 4:14 pm, Wednesday, July 23, 2014
Also there were "suggestions" that were posted on the CHP website last year, but a member of the state house made them take them down because they were not law and were unenforceable. This, even though they were there to help drivers become aware that it really is legal to lane share/split in the state of California even though many think otherwise.
The bill that was going through the state house was set up with split up to 50 mph and no faster than a 15 mph delta, and that wasn't going to make it so they pulled it. It can't be brought of for consideration again until next year, and from what was said that might not even happen. So it could be at least two years before it is brought up in the state house again, and even then it might not make it to the floor for a vote.
This is a VERY hot button issue with California motorcyclists and there are a lot of non moto drivers that want the practice flat out banned in the state. I really don't see that happening because it has been allowed for so long that even if it was banned, a lot of moto riders wouldn't stop doing it. Some have stated that if it were banned that they would quit riding all together because they commute on their bikes for the specific reason that they CAN split and it take times off of their commute.
This is something that is done all over the world with great success, but American drivers can't seem to get their heads around that it can be done safely because they don't want to have to actually pay attention to the road and watch for other traffic before they make a move (ask me how I know this one).
 
kevbroce_imp said:
Yeah. There are no rules against lane splitting. There is a rule again reckless driving, which is all you need.
No rules against or governing lane sharing/splitting. Just don't ride like an idiot and you'll be fine. Unfortunately there are too many idiots out there that just determined to ruin it for the rest of us.
 
I can understand the wants, needs and convenience of lane splitting for motorcyclists. I was just out there, and let me tell you as a tourist driving on unfamiliar roads in crazy hectic traffic with 5 to 8 lanes either going zero or 80 mph, it was extremely un nerving to try and figure out which lane I was supposed to be in to get where I was going, only to have a motorcycle or group of motorcycles come blasting past a foot from my mirror. Being a motorcyclist and aware of the lane splitting in CA, I was aware that this COULD happen, but it is really scary when it actually DOES happen. Everywhere we went were tourists, many of them from around the US where it is not legal, and many of them from around the world where it undoubtedly is legal. Somehow for the most part, it all works out. Guess its something you just have to get used to. Still don't think I would do it, but thankfully I am not in the situation that I find it necessary to find out.

Btw I found it just as unnerving at how many cars will just stick a front fender in your lane in order to wedge themselves in ahead of you whether there is space for them or not. they force you to give them space. Such actions here would cause serious road rage.

Definitely a different driving environment than what I am used to.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I can understand the wants, needs and convenience of lane splitting for motorcyclists. I was just out there, and let me tell you as a tourist driving on unfamiliar roads in crazy hectic traffic with 5 to 8 lanes either going zero or 80 mph, it was extremely un nerving to try and figure out which lane I was supposed to be in to get where I was going, only to have a motorcycle or group of motorcycles come blasting past a foot from my mirror. Being a motorcyclist and aware of the lane splitting in CA, I was aware that this COULD happen, but it is really scary when it actually DOES happen. Everywhere we went were tourists, many of them from around the US where it is not legal, and many of them from around the world where it undoubtedly is legal. Somehow for the most part, it all works out. Guess its something you just have to get used to. Still don't think I would do it, but thankfully I am not in the situation that I find it necessary to find out.

Btw I found it just as unnerving at how many cars will just stick a front fender in your lane in order to wedge themselves in ahead of you whether there is space for them or not. they force you to give them space. Such actions here would cause serious road rage.

Definitely a different driving environment than what I am used to.

Oh yeah, and I HATE it. The congestion and the complete and total lack of courtesy is insane. It is so bad (and the attitude that goes along with it permeates the culture out here) that I think they should have something like a "ME FIRST" license plate.
 
I had an especially freaky commute on a suburban highway the other morning. (Suburban highway = city street turned into a de facto commuter-clogged highway. 45-mph speed limit changed by consensus to up to 60 mph.)

Every traffic signal I came to at full speed turned yellow on me. Seeing the yellow in time, I stopped at each one. But I watched at least 5 cars blast through red lights when they could have easily stopped in time on the yellow.

In a hurry, they are. I've never been a fan of red light cameras, but I understand the frustration that could drive government officials to have them installed.
 
gossman_imp said:
Oregon has voted to allow it. Not sure when it comes into effect.
Vastly neutered compared to what can be done here, but it's better than nothing. Just be aware that a lot of cagers won't like it and retaliations WILL occur.
 
Washington State recently enacted legislation that was supposed to allow lane splitting, but at the last minute it was re-written by a non-motorcyclist into something ridiculous and unsafe -

"The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken, except on the left-hand side of a vehicle traveling in the left-most lane of traffic on a numbered state highway identified in chapter 47.17 RCW that has two or more lanes of traffic in each direction if the operator of the motorcycle is traveling at a rate of speed no more than ten miles per hour over the speed of traffic flow and not more than twenty-five miles per hour."

By the way, I've spent a lot of time on California highways, and it's my observation that 75% of riders lane split in an idiotic and unsafe manner. I'm always pleasantly surprised when I see someone doing it right. Several times I've been "dive bombed" by some idiot with open pipes screaming by at 90 MPH and it can be a frightening experience.

I lived in Spain for several years and found that lane splitting is a way of life. The car drivers even spread out to make way when they see you in the mirrors! My commute to work in a car was 40 minutes, lane splitting cut it down to 15 minutes on my BMW R1150R.
 
From the CHP Guidelines:
(http://lanesplittingislegal.com)

Lane splitting by motorcycles is not illegal in California when done in a safe and prudent manner.
Motorists should not take it upon themselves to discourage motorcyclists from lane splitting.
Intentionally blocking or impeding a motorcyclist in a way that could cause harm to the rider is illegal (CVC 22400).
Opening a vehicle door to impede a motorcycle is illegal (CVC 22517).
Never drive while distracted.
You can help keep motorcyclists and all road users safe by:
Checking mirrors and blind spots, especially before changing lanes or turning
Signaling your intentions before changing lanes or merging with traffic.
Allowing more following distance, three or four seconds, when behind a motorcycle so the motorcyclist has enough time to maneuver or stop in an emergency.


This is the reality.. It's not legal by written code, it is simply not illegal for the same reasons..

If they want to create regulations they first have to make it legal by state code, then they can institute regulations. Until then just ride..

-Peter
 
"Never drive while distracted.

You can help keep motorcyclists and all road users safe by:

Checking mirrors and blind spots, especially before changing lanes or turning
Signaling your intentions before changing lanes or merging with traffic.
Allowing more following distance, three or four seconds, when behind a motorcycle so the motorcyclist has enough time to maneuver or stop in an emergency."


HA... From what I saw on my recent trip out there, Cali drivers weren't following ANY of these suggestions on the freeways. Looked more like " It's every man for himself, get the heck out of my way or I'll stuff you, and when I do, I may jam on my brakes for the heck of it. After that I just may stuff the people for the next 3 lanes over too, cause I really want to be way over there anyway"
 
Thread starter
RetroSeattle_imp said:
Washington State recently enacted legislation that was supposed to allow lane splitting, but at the last minute it was re-written by a non-motorcyclist into something ridiculous and unsafe -

"The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken, except on the left-hand side of a vehicle traveling in the left-most lane of traffic on a numbered state highway identified in chapter 47.17 RCW that has two or more lanes of traffic in each direction if the operator of the motorcycle is traveling at a rate of speed no more than ten miles per hour over the speed of traffic flow and not more than twenty-five miles per hour."

By the way, I've spent a lot of time on California highways, and it's my observation that 75% of riders lane split in an idiotic and unsafe manner. I'm always pleasantly surprised when I see someone doing it right. Several times I've been "dive bombed" by some idiot with open pipes screaming by at 90 MPH and it can be a frightening experience.

I lived in Spain for several years and found that lane splitting is a way of life. The car drivers even spread out to make way when they see you in the mirrors! My commute to work in a car was 40 minutes, lane splitting cut it down to 15 minutes on my BMW R1150R.
there is nothing more frightening than sitting in your car and a very loud motorcycle screams by at more than 30 MPH than traffic. As a driver I never like lane splitting so as rider I never lane split. It is a matter of choice, I treat my bike like a car and ride as such
 
cbdtran_imp said:
RetroSeattle_imp said:
Washington State recently enacted legislation that was supposed to allow lane splitting, but at the last minute it was re-written by a non-motorcyclist into something ridiculous and unsafe -

"The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken, except on the left-hand side of a vehicle traveling in the left-most lane of traffic on a numbered state highway identified in chapter 47.17 RCW that has two or more lanes of traffic in each direction if the operator of the motorcycle is traveling at a rate of speed no more than ten miles per hour over the speed of traffic flow and not more than twenty-five miles per hour."

By the way, I've spent a lot of time on California highways, and it's my observation that 75% of riders lane split in an idiotic and unsafe manner. I'm always pleasantly surprised when I see someone doing it right. Several times I've been "dive bombed" by some idiot with open pipes screaming by at 90 MPH and it can be a frightening experience.

I lived in Spain for several years and found that lane splitting is a way of life. The car drivers even spread out to make way when they see you in the mirrors! My commute to work in a car was 40 minutes, lane splitting cut it down to 15 minutes on my BMW R1150R.
there is nothing more frightening than sitting in your car and a very loud motorcycle screams by at more than 30 MPH than traffic. As a driver I never like lane splitting so as rider I never lane split. It is a matter of choice, I treat my bike like a car and ride as such
there is nothing more frightening than sitting in your car and a very loud motorcycle screams by at more than 30 MPH than traffic. As a driver I never like lane splitting so as rider I never lane split. It is a matter of choice, I treat my bike like a car and ride as such
So you let your air cooled engine just cook in stop and go traffic? Nope, no way..
 
I spent some weeks in India earlier this year. The concept of a lane is hard to imagine , let alone splitting the lane by motorcycles. EVERYONE splits lanes: trucks, cars, motorcycles, scooters.

Yet, nobody there did anything "unsafe" (save for the father with his 10 year old daughter side straddling the back seat and his 4 year old on the gas tank, or the guy on the 125cc going 50mph down the highway with a live goat strapped to the rear seat...). Horns were used appropriately, and high beams were used to signal passes. Their traffic is nuts. As someone else stated, this is precisely why people ride motorcycles instead of cars.

I think the problem is a fundamental issue with American drivers. I'm entitled to eat my double cheese burger and talk on my phone, not use my blinkers, and expect you to make room for me when I change lanes. While I think lane splitting could be beneficial in reducing traffic here in the states, I personally wouldn't do it even if it was legal (here in Ohio), simply because I don't trust American drivers. I am of course over generalizing for effect (but I really did see a guy on the freeway with a goat strapped to the back seat).
 
I split every day when I was working 58 miles from home. For the most part guys don't split over a 15mph delta, but there are the minority that will go WAY over that and then rev their engine to high heaven to try and "make room" when they feel you are crowding them. Then we have the complete idiots that will bash your mirror because they didn't like that you didn't move for them fast enough. I personally have never seen the latter, but I know they are out there from another forum I'm on.
 
RetroSeattle_imp said:
Washington State recently enacted legislation that was supposed to allow lane splitting, but at the last minute it was re-written by a non-motorcyclist into something ridiculous and unsafe -

"The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken, except on the left-hand side of a vehicle traveling in the left-most lane of traffic on a numbered state highway identified in chapter 47.17 RCW that has two or more lanes of traffic in each direction if the operator of the motorcycle is traveling at a rate of speed no more than ten miles per hour over the speed of traffic flow and not more than twenty-five miles per hour."

By the way, I've spent a lot of time on California highways, and it's my observation that 75% of riders lane split in an idiotic and unsafe manner. I'm always pleasantly surprised when I see someone doing it right. Several times I've been "dive bombed" by some idiot with open pipes screaming by at 90 MPH and it can be a frightening experience.

I lived in Spain for several years and found that lane splitting is a way of life. The car drivers even spread out to make way when they see you in the mirrors! My commute to work in a car was 40 minutes, lane splitting cut it down to 15 minutes on my BMW R1150R.
I agree with that. I've been dumbfounded when I've seen riders doing 30-50 mph faster than the traffic. That's Darwin hard at work. They really make the rest of us look bad.

I learned to lane split in LA by watching the CHP & LAPD bike officers. I figured those guys ride hours and hours a day and rarely have accidents, so I simply copied them. I used to actually get behind lane splitting bike cops and just mimic them. (keeping a safe distance of course)

I rarely split over 30 unless it's an emergency (drunk driver, idiot driver or avoiding a potential accident)

But I also lane split because my both of my bikes are air cooled.

There is one other thing I rarely see mentioned and that is that bikers should always first check for other bikes before they start splitting. I've had more than one motorcyclist just magically appear in front of me because he checked for everything except another bike. I also learned that from watching a CHP officer who would let out a little toot on his siren as a safety warning every time he was about to pass or overtake another bike.

Also, a lot of the bikers seem to be blissfully(arrogantly?) unaware that they are no match for a car.....especially one with an enraged moron behind the wheel that hates lane splitting. This biker chastised a driver for being on the phone and the driver responded by sideswiping the rider off of his bike, all captured on video:

VIDEO: Driver runs over motorcyclist who called him out for texting

be careful out there kids!
 
Back
Top