Lane Filtering ...

Thread starter
offroadfx4_imp said:
The main reason I would consider doing it would be because of heat.

For the sake of the motorcycle and the rider, setting still in 80+, 90+ heat has to be a health hazard.

I would probably stay in first gear, but I'd have to be moving.

Not having to clutch constantly would be another major benefit too (both on the hand and the clutch)
(+1)
 
Haggard Rider_imp said:
We can filter in the UK but I choose not to.

When I'm on the bike it's because I WANT to be on the bike, not because I'm in a rush to get somewhere, so I'll just enjoy my time on it, even if it's pi**ing down - all part of life's lustre!
I like your wise approach = :thumbsup:
Here in Ontario, Canada, we are not allowed to split/filter at all, but even if we were, I would not do it either, too risky.
If the traffic were brought to a complete/dead stop, I eventually would???? consider using shoulder, having danger only on one side, never both.
IMO, bikers who split/filter are mostly commuters.
 
I’m an event coordinator and travel constantly for work. When I’m in other states or countries and the topic of motorcycle lane splitting comes up, being from California I’m treated like a sort of curiosity.

People ask if cars cut me off or open doors in front of me to try to block me. Or if I have a death wish. I explain that splitting and filtering are engrained in our driving culture in California. Do it safely and it’s a great benefit and drivers expect to be passed.

It does require a great deal of concentration and heightened awareness as well as riding confidence. It took me two years of freeway riding before I tried it for the first time and I was terrified until I became comfortable with the practice. I’ve seen novice riders try it before they were ready and go down quickly. I’ve helped pick some of those riders up from the freeway. The novices who thought they were ready, and thought a sweatshirt and sneakers were adequate protection (which serves as a constant reminder for ATGATT. Yes, I’ve picked up their shoes)

No matter how I explain it, some people just say we’re crazy for doing it. Makes sense if it’s never been legal where you ride. Splitting has been part of our culture forever. I know it’s going to be legalized in other states. I wonder how long it will take before it becomes an accepted and expected part of their culture.
 
When it does become legal in a new state there is going to be a large learning curve for both cagers and riders. It would be years before it becomes second nature as it is in Cal (and other places where it been done for years). I wonder if the initial influx of accidents caused by riders approaching too aggressively and territorial cagers would be enough to reverse any new laws?
 
I have a theory/hypothesis on how lane splitting got started.

I was in Florida recently in 80+ temperature and stopped to crawling traffic.
Normally I would ride the shoulder whether it was far left or far right to give me as much distance between me and other traffic as possible, thinking it would give me an extra second to react and the quickest out away from trouble.

However, during this ride I found myself riding the centerline. When changing lanes, I realized if on the centerline, just a 4-foot turn and you’re in the other lane! What an advantage over cars that must make probably an 8-10 ft lane shift.

At first, I made sure the open lane had several car lengths open before I would switch. The more I did it I the more comfortable I felt switching with less clearance.

I started to think, this must be how lane splitting got started. The lines started to blur between which lane they were actually in. The people doing what I was doing finally figured out the closer they stayed to the center line, they could pass cars with little to no lane change. I figured most people think of lane splitting as going straight down the centerline, but in reality, they are probably making slight lane changes as necessary for required clearance.

That’s just my theory.
 
I reckon it’s a good theory, offroad.
 
Filtering to the head of a line of traffic stopped at a light seems to make sense to me. Allowing motorcycles to ride on the shoulder of highways when traffic is stopped or crawling makes sense to me. Letting a vehicle create a lane where there is not a lane does not make sense to me except in the stoplight scenario mentioned first. Frankly, I think that lane-splitting should be illegal, but that riders so inclined should go ahead and do it just like most of us choose to disobey traffic laws like speeding. Just my opinion.
 
I've said it on this forum before, so I'll be brief:
On this continent - unlike the test of the planet - motorcycling is in the decline. The reason for this is simple: the activity is predominantly for recreation, as opposed to the transportation.
Decline of activity is to the detriment of all of us, including those that practice it exclusively for recreation. The revival depends on the increased use of motorcycles for transportation, and lane sharing is the main reason more riders will view motorcycle travel as a preferable mode of transportation. Thus, lane sharing should be viewed as a desirable phenomenon, even by those that have no particular desire to partake in the practice.
 
Thread starter
Some interesting opinions for sure. Maybe when gasoline North America hits $2 per L or about $8 per gallon, there will be fewer cages and filtering won't be used/needed as often. lol

Of course, all this is moot in snowy winter conditions.
 
Gold and Rotor, you both have interesting points. I took up motorcycle riding purely for the transportation value. I live in a very densely populated area with heavy traffic, and motorcycles have a valuable advantage over cars for those who accept the risk. 99% of my riding is to commute, and my car is only used in the rain or to carry passengers.

Also, having done so in California for many years, I have noticed that when gas prices spike (near $5 per gallon is about the benchmark), I tend to see more new riders on new bikes on my commute. That hasn't happened for a few years, but who knows when we'll see it again.
 
Thread starter
Urban California is likely the most eligible locations in North America for year-round two-wheeled transportation. Yes it gets hot, but that is more useful than bitter cold and profuse humidity. Also, a total mind shift would have to occur to leave the cage at home. I also think CA has the greatest potential to lead in such a challenge, should that wish ever materialize.
 
Got my digital version of Motorcycle Consumer News yesterday, and glanced at what looks like a comprehensive article on lane splitting, so that will be a good read.

Here's a weird little twist to the lane splitting conversation. It's generally agreed that the safest place to split is between the left-most hand lane and the one to its right. In many cases on California freeways, this puts the rider between a car pool lane and the standard left lane of traffic, and unless there is a double yellow line restricting the rider to one lane or another, there's usually a larger gap between lanes.

As I mentioned, many drivers on the left move further to the left when they see me coming up in their mirrors, and I give them a wave of thanks. However, in tight quarters, sometimes cars to the right move over to the right as well.

During the morning conversation here at the office today, one of my coworkers who uses the same freeway I do said "You guys are rude. I always see you waving to the cars on your left, but whenever I move over to the right for you bikers, I never get a wave!"

I had to explain to her how a motorcycle works. "I'd love to wave at you too, but my right hand is on the gas pedal. I can't let go or I wouldn't be passing you."
 
Frulk_imp said:
Uh boy. Lots of confusion. This is what these states are going to see until a concerted effort is made to educate the public. Even after that, if a coherent public education program is attempted, it will still take years for the culture to change.

I can see this from the point of view of drivers in the states where filtering and splitting were never legal before: "You guys have dutifully sat in traffic like the rest of us for my whole life, now you think you're better than us and can go around us in traffic? That can't be right."

Even in California, splitting and filtering were just recently formally legalized (remember, we've been doing it for years because technically it wasn't illegal).
When the practice became legal, I was expecting to see at least a decent effort to let the motoring public know. I think I recall seeing an article in the AAA magazine, but that's about it.

Going back to one of my earlier statements, the CHP had tried to launch an education program for California drivers, before they were swatted down by the CA legislature. Their program was initiated because of a study conducted in California, where we have done this for years, that said that there was still an alarmingly large percentage of CA drivers who didn't know it was OK to split or filter.

I think we're going to be reading a lot of stories like this one for years to come.
 
I think it's clear that quite a number of motorcyclists are not in agreement with the practice...even where legal. Splitting and filtering although different seem to mean the same thing to motorcyclists. I think more would be in agreement if it were practiced responsibly/according to the law by all motorcyclists, but that is never going to happen. I find it funny that the Utah law says no more than 15 mph and traffic must be stopped. When I rode out to Cali, traffic was rolling between 45 and 55 and they were still splitting the traffic then. Motorcyclists used to splitting in CA will never abide by the Utah law as written, and once Utah motorcyclists get the hang of it, they will be splitting at will as well. Then again I have seen motorcyclists here split and filter and neither is legal in Ohio.

Someone in the comments section that Frulk posted mentioned something I would have never thought of. A dozen guys or more out riding together come up to a light with a long back up and start filtering as a group towards the front. Before the first bike gets to the front of the line the light changes. Now a dozen guys are in limbo with no where to go, stuck between lines of moving cars.

Here in the midwest, people are pretty protective of "their space" (since we don't have/never had a lane sharing law, "their space" is "their lane" from paint stripe to their left to paint stripe to their right, and it would take 20 years before people would become accustomed to sharing it with anyone else.
 
Semi-rhetorical question: How many motorcyclists do you see on an average 20-mile weekday motorcycle ride? If the number is less than 10, it's going to be hard to get drivers to remember to watch out for lane splitters.
 
As it pertains to California, splitting is riding between cars in active, moving traffic. Filtering is the practice of coming to a stop light and making your way up to the front of the intersection and stopping between the two cars on either side of you.

To your point, Ferret, when I come to an intersection and see that someone on a bike has already made their way to the front of the line, I hang back, and don't want to be the second bike back when the light turns green. The bike in front may not move out quickly, leaving me stuck going the same speed as two cars close in on my sides, and that pretty much just confuses everyone. If the rider in front of me notices me in his mirror, he may get nervous trying to speed away and stall his bike (been there, been stuck behind that).

Personally, I don't filter as much as I split. I'll filter when I come to an intersection with several cars stopped, I know it's a long light, and I can easily get ahead of a herd of cars once the light changes and have a nice space cushion. You get more personal with the drivers around you, as you're now mirror-to-mirror with them for a few minutes. A few weeks ago, I watched a Goldwing waddle his way to the front of an intersection. His wide bike wouldn't fit between the two mirrors at the front of the intersection. He leaned forward, and folded the right side mirror in on the car at the front of the line to his right, so he could sit next to it.

That was a little crass if you ask me...
 
lol First day .. Illegal right off the bat...passing moving cars.


Illegal right off the bat @ :33 (and actually throughout the video)...running more than 15 mph between the cars lol


illegal before the bat...bill hadn't taken effect yet (video made in March..Law went into effect in May lol)

 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
As it pertains to California, splitting is riding between cars in active, moving traffic. Filtering is the practice of coming to a stop light and making your way up to the front of the intersection and stopping between the two cars on either side of you.

To your point, Ferret, when I come to an intersection and see that someone on a bike has already made their way to the front of the line, I hang back, and don't want to be the second bike back when the light turns green. The bike in front may not move out quickly, leaving me stuck going the same speed as two cars close in on my sides, and that pretty much just confuses everyone. If the rider in front of me notices me in his mirror, he may get nervous trying to speed away and stall his bike (been there, been stuck behind that).

Personally, I don't filter as much as I split. I'll filter when I come to an intersection with several cars stopped, I know it's a long light, and I can easily get ahead of a herd of cars once the light changes and have a nice space cushion. You get more personal with the drivers around you, as you're now mirror-to-mirror with them for a few minutes. A few weeks ago, I watched a Goldwing waddle his way to the front of an intersection. His wide bike wouldn't fit between the two mirrors at the front of the intersection. He leaned forward, and folded the right side mirror in on the car at the front of the line to his right, so he could sit next to it.

That was a little crass if you ask me...
Yes, balsy for sure. (jeez)
 
Back
Top