GoldOxide_imp
Road warrior
Thread starter
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
The ferret_imp said:the other side of the coin
Yeah...that's tough to watch. The sad thing to see is the example at the 2:35 minute where the guy hits the pedestrian. Neither is concerned for the other's condition after the collision; rather, they both want to blame the other..."you shouldn't be going so fast" and "you should be looking where you're going".The ferret_imp said:the other side of the coin
Well articulated pdedse.pdedse_imp said:I don't know...I go back and forth on this. I understand the benefit to those who ride--avoid rear end collisions, more efficient traffic flow and saves time for riders...but:
While I've seen filtering or splitting a bit in CA, I just don't ride much in rush hour type traffic to appreciate the advantages. I know the first few times a motorcycle whizzed by me in CA--seemingly inches from my mirrors / doors--while I was in a car it scared the begeezers out of me. I wonder how long it would take for the car culture to learn to accept the idea of it in other states. U.S. drivers have the most territorial attitudes I've seen (based on my experiences in Spain, Portugal, Mexico and Central America). If lane filtering were passed as a nation-wide law, I'd wager there would be numerous accidents (or road rage incidents) involving cars that would "defend" their territory so MCs couldn't "take their spots". People here think "don't butt in line" and are quick to retaliate if their sensibilities are offended. They think "if I have to wait in traffic, why shouldn't you?"
If legal, I'd probably wait a few years before attempting it for the idea to register with drivers. But then again, I don't have to face much traffic on a daily basis.
Edit: I would say that 95% of the time I do leave bike in first gear at a stop, I'm watching cars approach in my mirror, ready to pull foward into space left or right of me. But I also wonder if I would react quick enough...honestly, I think probably I would be a bit slow on the draw.
Mae-bee udda vidio from Rusha, ... da.The ferret_imp said:Someone posted a video on this forum not too long ago and the motorcyclists were lane splitting at 60 mph.
This is n't it, but these guys seem to be running pretty fast (In Georgia no less)

The rider in that video made no effort to stop, brake light never went on. He had time to at least slow down and lessen the effects, if not avoid the collision altogether.The ferret_imp said:Someone posted a video on this forum not too long ago and the motorcyclists were lane splitting at 60 mph.
This is n't it, but these guys seem to be running pretty fast (In Georgia no less)