Lane filtering approved in Utah

Frulk_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Our state Governor just signed the bill into law today:

Under these conditions you may now lane filter in Utah:
383 (5) An individual may engage in lane filtering only when the following conditions
384 exist:
385 (a) the individual is operating a motorcycle;
386 (b) the individual is on a roadway divided into two or more adjacent traffic lanes in the
387 same direction of travel;
388 © the individual is on a roadway with a speed limit of 45 miles per hour or less;
389 (d) the vehicle being overtaken in the same lane is stopped;
390 (e) the motorcycle is traveling at a speed of 15 miles per hour or less; and
391 (f) the movement may be made safely.

In general this won't do much for most of us in this state. The roads where I live, when they do back up all have speed limits above 45 MPH so it won't be legal to filter. Most 45mph roads around here are secondary roads between neighborhoods and main arteries and freeways where speed limits are usually 55mph or higher....that's where the real traffic problems develop when construction isn't involved.
 
I do it even if it’s not “legal” otherwise it defeats the purpose of owning a motorcycle in metropolitan area if I have to sit in hot traffic.
 
I think people generally differentiate splitting and filtering- this appears to be filtering (as in the title), not splitting. The difference as I've seen it is that filtering is between cars when traffic is stopped, splitting is at a higher speed and between moving traffic. Both are nice (as someone from CA), filtering being legalized is going to be great for Utahns, much lower risk of getting rear ended at a stop!
 
I still think it is useful to have the option, especially when stuck in on an ultra hot day.

Certainly though in UT, there is a lot of minutia to remember.
 
I agree on a really hot day, sitting still would almost be a death sentence for the rider and/or the motorcycle.

As ferret often reminded, even water cooled is air cooled.

Considering the CB1100 is air cooled it could be even worse.

I would probably be happy to keep moving with the clutch out with out bogging the engine.
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
I agree on a really hot day, sitting still would almost be a death sentence for the rider and/or the motorcycle.

As ferret often reminded, even water cooled is air cooled.

Considering the CB1100 is air cooled it could be even worse.

I would probably be happy to keep moving with the clutch out with out bogging the engine.
The only moderate advantage of liquid-cooled in this situation is the cycling of the electric radiator fan. It does the job, however, that typically throws more heat onto the rider which I find surprises even the most seasoned rider.
 
Filtering,splitting it’s all the same to me,putting your life in the hands of some brain dead moron on a cell phone. I live in California and this is the dumbest legal practice I’ve seen in my life time. I will only split lanes at a stop light with traffic stopped,good luck to the ones doing it at speed.
 
FLYTYM_imp said:
Filtering,splitting it’s all the same to me,putting your life in the hands of some brain dead moron on a cell phone. I live in California and this is the dumbest legal practice I’ve seen in my life time. I will only split lanes at a stop light with traffic stopped,good luck to the ones doing it at speed.
GoldOxide_imp said:
I would like the option to filter at red lights.
^^^+1
 
Under these conditions you may now lane filter in Utah:
383 (5) An individual may engage in lane filtering only when the following conditions
384 exist:
385 (a) the individual is operating a motorcycle;
386 (b) the individual is on a roadway divided into two or more adjacent traffic lanes in the
387 same direction of travel;
388 the individual is on a roadway with a speed limit of 45 miles per hour or less;
389 (d) the vehicle being overtaken in the same lane is stopped;
390 (e) the motorcycle is traveling at a speed of 15 miles per hour or less; and
391 (f) the movement may be made safely.

Yea I can't see that helping much in most situations however it will undoubtedly be just a stepping stone, getting the general public used to being passed in between my motorcycles, before going to full blown lane splitting CA style some day in the future.

I forsee many UT motorcyclists lane splitting/filtering, just not following any of the above guidelines.

Hey I see PB joined the Royal Order of the CB! lol
 
:rofl: well most of us are pretty old and can relate to medieval

I blame Lord Popgun
 
Lord Popgun needs a medieval one...
 
Careful GO or it off to the Pit of Misery for you—Dilly Dilly!
 
Certainly not GO. They are either in the cellar with the Cellarmaster or hunting with Sir Ferret.
 
Back
Top