LAM - Life after Motorcycling

LongRanger_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
We all hope to live forever and keep riding through our golden years no matter what, but in reality only a few of us will be fortunate enough to achieve that privilege. The rest of us, someday, will come to the sobering conclusion that our best years of motorcycling are behind us and perhaps it’s time to hang up our helmets. Yes, it’s coming.

So that begs the question: now what? Trike? Spider? Miata? Golf cart? Nursing home?!

I truly hope we’re all many years and miles from making that decision, but it’s coming whether we like it or not. For us long time riders, and for those just starting out, what comes next? What are your plans?
 
decarmine_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Urn on mantle
Mine will be engraved "Kiss My Ash!"
Mine will be engraved "Kiss My Ash!"

The other day someone said my urn will probably have handlebars lol
 
LongRanger_imp said:
We all hope to live forever and keep riding through our golden years no matter what, but in reality only a few of us will be fortunate enough to achieve that privilege. The rest of us, someday, will come to the sobering conclusion that our best years of motorcycling are behind us and perhaps it’s time to hang up our helmets. Yes, it’s coming.

So that begs the question: now what? Trike? Spider? Miata? Golf cart? Nursing home?!

I truly hope we’re all many years and miles from making that decision, but it’s coming whether we like it or not. For us long time riders, and for those just starting out, what comes next? What are your plans?
decarmine_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Urn on mantle
Mine will be engraved "Kiss My Ash!"
Mine will be engraved "Kiss My Ash!"
:rofl:

These are practical choices.

The reality is none of us today will have the privilege to live forever. Besides, as aging continues, why would anyone want to? The day I won't be able to wipe my own ash would be a sad day indeed.

So, what to do while drool runs down the corner of your mouth and you look aimlessly forward (and down) rocking from your chair?

Might be better to go out with a bang! ...

 
I have a modern roadster, the Fiat 124 Spider, and to be honest it is a pretty good motorcycle stand-in. It has almost no faults, and in some ways provides a more enjoyable al fresco motoring experience because there's no gear, helmet, face shield, or earplugs. It's just sky, earth, road, wind, car, man.

41a412b3eddda7a7f6563cbd69975b03.jpg


8a48047fde90ae4a7738a0870b509fde.jpg


In retirement, I have additional ideas. For example, MG Midget MkII / III or Austin-Healey Sprite MkIII / IV for roads like this:

266fad27153359c652a848efabcd5d5e.jpg
 
Motorcycling is like flying, and leaning is the best part of the experience. I cant imagine ANY car delivering the joy I get from motorcycling. Without the lean, it's just wind and sun.
 
I've long thought that if I ever get terminal whatever, that I'd go all "Thelma & Louise" with the Grand Canyon--but on my CB1100 or whatever's available.




But if I age slow and sure like, who knows? Just play it by ear and let my body and mind work it out.
Maybe like this...
f2a8339de476e5bf6465d1dc4ecf176f.jpg
 
see the upside, in the coming 5 to 10 years the hot shot drivers, grannies with bad eyesight, and cell phone kids behind the wheel will gradually be replaced by AI. What's in for us? Much safer roads, so we might be able to ride a little longer - extend our motorcycle years. After this, hop on a self driving bus, and go to the m/c museum.
 
Bugger wallowing in nostalgia! When the end (of riding) comes, and it will, it'll be sad, but it will be the prudent thing to do for my sake and everyone else's. It'll be a loss, but there'll be something else to help pass the days.
 
pdedse_imp said:
I've long thought that if I ever get terminal whatever, that I'd go all "Thelma & Louise" with the Grand Canyon--but on my CB1100 or whatever's available.




But if I age slow and sure like, who knows? Just play it by ear and let my body and mind work it out.
Maybe like this...
f2a8339de476e5bf6465d1dc4ecf176f.jpg
That idea has been rattlin' around for quite some time. There are a few problems that need to be sorted:

* Is the body strong and healthy enough to even get there?
* Is the body strong enough to get to speed and keep the machine upright to the end?
* Obstacles to the end? Maybe there are potholes and boulders that impede success and maybe only allow the machine to slip away and you watching as it descends? That would be :( indeed.
* Fail safe system: What if one unexpectedly survives, even if only for only 10 minutes? Oooo, that would be unintended pain to the max. :dodgy:
* Grand Canyon park officials might catch on to "end do'ers" and start putting U.S. highway bridge fences up around the Grand Canyon to prevent would-be jumpers. (imagine that ... that would be alotta fence) :P
 
Ferret has it right when he talks about bikes being like flying. My plan has always been to get my pilots license at some point before retirement. It costs about 10000 bucks, but I should think actual flying would be a fine replacement for motorcycling.

And yes, Bob, i will probably frequently takeoff withthe landing gear still out.
 
Well could pull a Hunter Thompson 357 one shot all over , no pain no one wiping your ash, no more what if’s .
 
LongRanger_imp said:
We all hope to live forever and keep riding through our golden years no matter what, but in reality only a few of us will be fortunate enough to achieve that privilege. The rest of us, someday, will come to the sobering conclusion that our best years of motorcycling are behind us and perhaps it’s time to hang up our helmets. Yes, it’s coming.

So that begs the question: now what? Trike? Spider? Miata? Golf cart? Nursing home?!

I truly hope we’re all many years and miles from making that decision, but it’s coming whether we like it or not. For us long time riders, and for those just starting out, what comes next? What are your plans?
I'm in the "Don't really think about it" camp.

Maybe a motorhome with a Vanderhall or Morgan 3-wheeler or a Miata-like sports car in tow. Maybe just a home on a trout stream.
 
I sold my Sportster Sport because I wasn't riding a lot. I was fishing in Alaska in July through Sept. My body isn't what it once was. My back is short circuiting my shifting and breaking abilities. I bought my CB after three years of going bikeless. I enjoy riding, I am not half the rider I used to be, but I'm not super dangerous to myself or others. I quit once, I'm thinking the next time I'll be urn city.
 
Back
Top