Knee Pads, 2017 EX

cookiemech

Running like a top
Thread starter
Has anyone installed suitable knee pads on a 2017-up model? I bought some cheap ones from amazon that supposedly fit my year, but they are thin and cannot be mounted so that they extend forward far enough to keep my Roadcrafter suit from scratching the paint.

A Google search doesn't turn up anything remotely like a custom fit.

I looked at my 2022 Triumph T120 and it has nice thick knee pads with no logo. Something like that might work.

But I'd rather not reinvent the wheel if anyone has found knee pads that are reasonably thick, look appropriate, and extend far enough forward.
 
If you Google Honda CB1100 tank pads A number of them show up for 2017 models.
 
The Gecko_imp said:
What’s your main reason to want them in the first place ?
Knee pads not only save the tank paint from abrasion from the knee gear, but at 180 km/h it helps keeps your knees comfortably pinched against the tank. Otherwise, the fast rush of freeway air can get between the thighs.
 
^^ ...Otherwise, the fast rush of freeway air can get between the thighs. ^^
:rofl:
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
If you Google Honda CB1100 tank pads A number of them show up for 2017 models.
As I stated in my original post, I DID perform a Google search, and there were NO custom-fit pads for a 2017 EX. Lots of generic ones that would look out of place, and a few that fit the older tanks on the 2016 and earlier bikes.

I now (after extensive searching) have a set of tank pads coming from a company in the UK that appear to be correct for my tank.

Eazi-Grip Tank Pads
 
Nice find! They look nice too.
 
Thread starter
The new tank grips arrived (quite quickly) from England and I installed them yesterday. In their favor, they do fit perfectly and will absolutely prevent my knees from touching any painted surface of the tank.

Aesthetically they aren't great. I wish there were nice substantial knee pads like the ones on my Triumph T120.

Thought I could insert an image, but apparently I'd have to host it remotely. Oh, well, my Triumph looks like this one. There's a good shot of the tank pads further down the page.

Triumph T120 Gold Line
 
cookiemech, if you can reduce the file size of the photo to 250kb or less, you can post it to the forum as an attachment.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, Cormanus!

Here are photos of my CB1100 EX with the new tank pads, and my Triumph T120 with knee pads that I like much better.
 
The Triumph ones are certainly more substantial, but the ones on the CB1100 look like they give good protection.
 
+3 regarding the triumph pic.

What sort of adhesive is used to attach the pad to your CB? I have no experience with it (and as such, probably shouldn't comment), but I'd be concerned that the adhesive would cause more damage to the tank than whatever your knees would generate.
 
tommymck_imp said:
+3 regarding the triumph pic.

What sort of adhesive is used to attach the pad to your CB? I have no experience with it (and as such, probably shouldn't comment), but I'd be concerned that the adhesive would cause more damage to the tank than whatever your knees would generate.
3M VHB "black", or for best adhesion, "grey" will not damage the surface upon removal.

Adhesion is like steel, but with specific removal, once started, rolls off with the fingers.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
tommymck_imp said:
+3 regarding the triumph pic.

What sort of adhesive is used to attach the pad to your CB? I have no experience with it (and as such, probably shouldn't comment), but I'd be concerned that the adhesive would cause more damage to the tank than whatever your knees would generate.
3M VHB "black", or for best adhesion, "grey" will not damage the surface upon removal.

Adhesion is like steel, but with specific removal, once started, rolls off with the fingers.
3M VHB "black", or for best adhesion, "grey" will not damage the surface upon removal.

Adhesion is like steel, but with specific removal, once started, rolls off with the fingers.
Cool. Good to know
 
Back
Top