Kidney stone and Harley XR1200 comes home

Frulk_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Been after a buddy for several years that occasionally floats the idea of selling his pristine 2009 HD XR1200 in Orange (the CORRECT color)with a number of high end aftermarket parts and currently a shade over 9,000 miles. He consistently pulls back from the brink of selling and leaves me hanging. Our local Harley dealer knows about my bike preference (air cooled, retro styled bikes with neutral or sport seating positions) and just acquired a 2009 clone of my buddies on trade (sans some of the aftermarket bits and 12.4 K miles). Calls my bud who passed on the message.

Sooooo..I called Friday PM and made an appointment to test ride it Sat at 9 AM and have my bud there for a second opinion and some coffee before we leave the dealership. Sat at 1 dark thirty I wake up to incredible pain. After 10 minutes of dancing around the house I get into the car hunched over and wife takes me to ER. Morphine drip-CT etc. etc. and the diagnosis is Kidney stone is making a run for daylight down my right urethra. Long story somewhat short I miss the test ride.

Today I call him, explain my situation and ask if I can test ride it tonight. He says sure. Show up today at 4:30 and run it though its paces down the freeway to my house stopping there just to float the idea to my wife (and daughter who happened to be there). Got a VERY cool reception. Rode back to dealer and told him the bike was exactly what I expected but that I wanted my buddy to stop by tomorrow, and ride the bike and give me his impressions. If that went well I'd have to figure out how to wear down the wife.

Salesman says..."gimme a minute". Walks back to his office, comes back and hands me a huge pink ribbon and says "two ladies were here earlier and bought this for you. It's your bike". Turns out my wife who heard me talking about the bike already had gone down with my daughter and paid for it prior to me arriving at the dealership. My bud had checked out the bike and chances of me not wanting it were Zero. Plus she's been hearing me talk about buying my friends XR for 3+ years and wanted to put an end to it.

Picking it up tomorrow or Thursday. Getting a couple of aftermarket things added before I ride it home.

b3629542abe22baddcf1c805dd7c7e53.jpg
 
Wow. Good family, you've obviously been a good husband/father.
Per chance your wife have a sister?


Kidney stones aren't a laughing matter.
 
Hey Frulk that's a great ending to your story. Congrats on your new toy and more significantly your excellent choice in partners.
 
That's the best story I've heard in weeks! Wow. Congratulations on your new bike! And very glad to hear you didn't spend more time in the ER then necessary.
 
Great story well told, Frulk!
 
Congrats Frulk! I had a '87 XLH 1100 and loved it. Except for the carb.
 
First off congrats on the bike? Very cool. Congrats on the wife and daughter, very very cool.

Bummer about the kidney stone NOT COOL! Had one earlier this year. HOpe to never, ever, have a recurrence.
 
Thread starter
If all I ever had to do was pass a kidney stone to get a bike then I'd rather do without it and walk. The good thing about the XR is that after a couple of minutes in neutral at a red light it will just plain shake them out of you.
 
Frulk_imp said:
If all I ever had to do was pass a kidney stone to get a bike then I'd rather do without it and walk. The good thing about the XR is that after a couple of minutes in neutral at a red light it will just plain shake them out of you.
There you go! You're onto something. Redneck Lithotripsy!
 
Thanks , am the only Honda rider in our Wed's group of Geezers so i will have some fun with them in the morning . going to Wolf Bay Lodge for Seafood and huge salad bar:biker:
 
This made my day (well, not so much the kidney stone bit). Thanks so much for sharing this. :worship:

Be careful out there and enjoy the heck out of it.

Dang, what a great story! Thanks again!
 
You are a bad influence Frulk... Last night I had a dream ( nightmare?) that I bought a used rubber mounted engine Sportster and put a cafe fairing and rear sets on it. It came with Life Saving pipes but I asked the owner if he had the stockers. Nope he threw them away since he had no plans on using them and no one else wanted them. arrgghh, so I had to go buy quiet pipes. I painted it British racing green and put a brown cafe bum stop seat on it, and brown grips.

What did I have for dinner? Holy cow. Not eating that anymore. Lol
 
I noticed a very nice V-Rod on Craigslist last year and called the owner. I asked if he still had the original pipes, because I prefer to keep my bikes in stock condition. He was taken aback by my inquiry and completely dumbfounded that anyone would want a Harley with stock pipes. I actually thought they were very quite attractive. Needless to say, he didn't have them.
 
(Head scratcher...) So, do all these Harley owners that can't believe anyone would want stock pipes let the dealer keep the stock ones when they buy the loud ones? After all, they can't offer them for sale on CL if they don't believe anyone would buy them.
 
Thread starter
Classic V-Dubya: to answer your question. In my daughters case they gave her the two cans off her new Iron 883 she had replaced while it was at the dealer being rolled it out to my trailer. She still has them and was going to sell them but told her no. My position was ride it for a couple of years and see if that level of auditory abuse gets old. If it does you're set. Bolt on the stock cans. If not, put them up for sale.

Ferret: No sure why you think that's a bad dream. For the past two nights since buying the Harley XR1200 I've been having the same nightmare. I'm in this circular store that's laid out like the cemetery in the closing scene from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. I look eerily like Tuco (Eli Wallach) and I'm running from rack to rack looking for the perfect bandana, or maybe it was a t-shirt. FREAKY stuff!

CB is in slot one. It gets used the most and is easiest to wheel in and out of there. The XR now resting quietly in slot 2. It will see occasional weekend use for 50-100 mile romps through the mountains. The Guzzi V7R is on the training table on injured reserve waiting for me to have some free time to transport it to a reputable Guzzi doctor.

792bc9f503b32ceeacfa035ef1b7d0b9.jpg
 
Back
Top