Key won?t go to ignition

Presasx2_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
I went to start my 2014 CB1100 and inserted my key turned key from lock to ON but key would not turn to ignition. I tried to turn over the engine in the on position but my battery is dead. Is there an electrical reason for the key not turning to ignition position?

Any help would be appreciated
 
I don’t know about the 2014 CB1100, but my 2011 has 3 positions for the key: Lock, Unlock/Off, and On. You start it in the On position. If I could turn it to On, I’d be looking at the battery if the bike wouldn’t start when I pressed the starter button.
 
There is no electrical reason on the CB1100 why the ignition key could not be turned to any position on the ignition switch.

Presasx2 - by chance, does the ignition key way appear "tampered" to you?
 
If the lock has been lubricated (I like Remoil), then move handlebars slightly while gently applying pressure to key.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
I don’t know about the 2014 CB1100, but my 2011 has 3 positions for the key: Lock, Unlock/Off, and On. You start it in the On position. If I could turn it to On, I’d be looking at the battery if the bike wouldn’t start when I pressed the starter button.




Got the battery charger on it, I’ll try it tomorrow on a full charge, thanks
For bringing me to a simple reality. I think I just over thought the situation

Thanks
GoldOxide_imp said:
There is no electrical reason on the CB1100 why the ignition key could not be turned to any position on the ignition switch.

Presasx2 - by chance, does the ignition key way appear "tampered" to you?


Nothing wrong with the key, operator error, I over-thought this.
The word Ignition on the switch is not a position, it identifies the switch
I feel so stupid
 
I’ve done it too… Took a blank key to a locksmith to make a new key for a Nighthawk.

Went back inside after I tested the key in the parking lot. Said “The key doesn’t turn all the way, it’s not starting the engine.”

He replied “You’re pushing the start button, right?”

“Oh yeah… sorry..”
 
Welcome to the human race Presasx2
 
I'm glad I've never done anything stupid like accidentally hitting the kill switch doing 70mph on the interstate in HEAVY traffic. :angel: And not know what happened while I sat on the side of the road while cars and trucks zoomed by. Yeah, that was fun. :blush:
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I'm glad I've never done anything stupid like accidentally hitting the kill switch doing 70mph on the interstate in HEAVY traffic. :angel: And not know what happened while I sat on the side of the road while cars and trucks zoomed by. Yeah, that was fun. :blush:
Fortunately, if the kill switch is activated at speed, the rider can deactivate it and the engine will re-ignite. Depending on your new decelerated speed and gear position, experienced perhaps, a little jerk moment as the mechanics resynchronize.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I'm glad I've never done anything stupid like accidentally hitting the kill switch doing 70mph on the interstate in HEAVY traffic. :angel: And not know what happened while I sat on the side of the road while cars and trucks zoomed by. Yeah, that was fun. :blush:
That accidental kill switch hit has left many a rider sitting beside the road scratching his head.
:beerchug::biker:
 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I'm glad I've never done anything stupid like accidentally hitting the kill switch doing 70mph on the interstate in HEAVY traffic. :angel: And not know what happened while I sat on the side of the road while cars and trucks zoomed by. Yeah, that was fun. :blush:
That accidental kill switch hit has left many a rider sitting beside the road scratching his head.
:beerchug::biker:
I once had an electrical failure in the Engine Kill circuit that was intermittent on sharp turns and freeway motion.

In the latter situation, the engine would shutdown and restart in an [expected] erratic fashion, but a symptom was a noticeable engine backfire.
 
You are in good company. Lots of people sit there trying to start their Triumph's until they remember it is mandatory to pull the clutch in to do so. I have been ready to vent more than once until I sheepishly remember that fact :blush: . I bypassed the clutch switch on my old 90's Triumph but it isn't something you can do on the more modern CANBUS equipped bikes.
 
Back
Top