Key Cylinder Spins Freely

deltamark

Running like a top
Thread starter
I was about to start my 2014 CB this past week and when I turned the key, it just spun / turned freely in the cylinder with no resistance. I cautiously turned it back, took it out, tried again and it worked.

Has anyone else had this happen? Wondering if I need to have the key cylinder replaced?
 
Strange...I did a quick google search and it appears not to be uncommon with cars...

to quote one of the entries (for a car):
"The ignition switch or linkage to the switch is broken. The ignition switch needs to have the small linkage from the back side of the key lock cylinder to turn the switch to start and run the vehicle.

Have the ignition switch removed and inspect the linkage and switch to see if one or both switch and linkage needs replaced."

But on this cb1100 site, someone will correct me if I'm wrong (I did search a few pages), I think this issue is the first case.
 
First I’ve heard of this problem. But it is a mechanical device so failures will happen.

The manual says to remove the one-way bolts and remove the switch. Then reinstall new switch with new bolts. So how does one remove the one-way bolts?
 
I don't recall any others having this issue

They have to be drilled out popgun, like a screw with a stripped head
 
Ferret, that figures. I noticed there is no special tool called out in the manual.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
First I’ve heard of this problem. But it is a mechanical device so failures will happen.

The manual says to remove the one-way bolts and remove the switch. Then reinstall new switch with new bolts. So how does one remove the one-way bolts?
For this operation, I use centre punch(pointer) and a small hammer, crack loose both sheer off bolts and then unscrew'em by fingers. Depending of an access point it may take as little as few minutes. Done hundred of times on cars. Believe bikes are similar if not identical ??:idea:
P.S There is also a special socket that may work, depending on sheer off bolt head's shape
:)
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
First I’ve heard of this problem. But it is a mechanical device so failures will happen.

The manual says to remove the one-way bolts and remove the switch. Then reinstall new switch with new bolts. So how does one remove the one-way bolts?
For this operation, I use centre punch(pointer) and a small hammer, crack loose both sheer off bolts and then unscrew'em by fingers. Depending of an access point it may take as little as few minutes. Done hundred of times on cars. Believe bikes are similar if not identical ??:idea:
P.S There is also a special socket that may work, depending on sheer off bolt head's shape
:)
For this operation, I use centre punch(pointer) and a small hammer, crack loose both sheer off bolts and then unscrew'em by fingers. Depending of an access point it may take as little as few minutes. Done hundred of times on cars. Believe bikes are similar if not identical ??:idea:
P.S There is also a special socket that may work, depending on sheer off bolt shape
:)
It would be really handy to know more how you do this, PB. Could you enlarge on what you actually do, please? I'm ok with the centre punch, but it's the "crack loose" that has me puzzling. Do you use the punch to start to "unwind" the bolt? Thanks.
 
Bazbro_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
First I’ve heard of this problem. But it is a mechanical device so failures will happen.

The manual says to remove the one-way bolts and remove the switch. Then reinstall new switch with new bolts. So how does one remove the one-way bolts?
For this operation, I use centre punch(pointer) and a small hammer, crack loose both sheer off bolts and then unscrew'em by fingers. Depending of an access point it may take as little as few minutes. Done hundred of times on cars. Believe bikes are similar if not identical ??:idea:
P.S There is also a special socket that may work, depending on sheer off bolt head's shape
:)
For this operation, I use centre punch(pointer) and a small hammer, crack loose both sheer off bolts and then unscrew'em by fingers. Depending of an access point it may take as little as few minutes. Done hundred of times on cars. Believe bikes are similar if not identical ??:idea:
P.S There is also a special socket that may work, depending on sheer off bolt shape
:)
It would be really handy to know more how you do this, PB. Could you enlarge on what you actually do, please? I'm ok with the centre punch, but it's the "crack loose" that has me puzzling. Do you use the punch to start to "unwind" the bolt? Thanks.
For this operation, I use centre punch(pointer) and a small hammer, crack loose both sheer off bolts and then unscrew'em by fingers. Depending of an access point it may take as little as few minutes. Done hundred of times on cars. Believe bikes are similar if not identical ??:idea:
P.S There is also a special socket that may work, depending on sheer off bolt shape
:)
It would be really handy to know more how you do this, PB. Could you enlarge on what you actually do, please? I'm ok with the centre punch, but it's the "crack loose" that has me puzzling. Do you use the punch to start to "unwind" the bolt? Thanks.
Yes, and place your punch as far as possible from bolt centre..loosen both bolts first before further unwinding... very easy. Sorry no pics, tool, all left at work while still recovering at home after knee replacement
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
I wonder if someone was trying to steal your bike.
Yikes! I hadn't even thought of that. I hope that's not the case.

It's ironic you say that, though. Last year I was riding to work on the interstate and I had to pull over to the berm because stuff was about to fly out of the sidecar. (I now have a cover for the sidecar.) I was busy securing the items and didn't even see the highway patrolwoman walk up from behind me. She asked what was wrong and I told her that I just needed to secure some of the load. She stuck around until I pulled away.

About a minute later, I saw flashers and the same patrolwoman pulled me over. She stated that they had a report of a stolen bike matching my bike's description. I bought the bike used from a private seller and started imagining the worst when she came back and told me I was in the clear. I told her that I was appreciative of the fact that the highway patrol would check for stolen motorcycles and hoped it would never happen to me.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
First I’ve heard of this problem. But it is a mechanical device so failures will happen.

The manual says to remove the one-way bolts and remove the switch. Then reinstall new switch with new bolts. So how does one remove the one-way bolts?
For this operation, I use centre punch(pointer) and a small hammer, crack loose both sheer off bolts and then unscrew'em by fingers. Depending of an access point it may take as little as few minutes. Done hundred of times on cars. Believe bikes are similar if not identical ??:idea:
P.S There is also a special socket that may work, depending on sheer off bolt head's shape
:)
For this operation, I use centre punch(pointer) and a small hammer, crack loose both sheer off bolts and then unscrew'em by fingers. Depending of an access point it may take as little as few minutes. Done hundred of times on cars. Believe bikes are similar if not identical ??:idea:
P.S There is also a special socket that may work, depending on sheer off bolt shape
:)
It would be really handy to know more how you do this, PB. Could you enlarge on what you actually do, please? I'm ok with the centre punch, but it's the "crack loose" that has me puzzling. Do you use the punch to start to "unwind" the bolt? Thanks.
For this operation, I use centre punch(pointer) and a small hammer, crack loose both sheer off bolts and then unscrew'em by fingers. Depending of an access point it may take as little as few minutes. Done hundred of times on cars. Believe bikes are similar if not identical ??:idea:
P.S There is also a special socket that may work, depending on sheer off bolt shape
:)
It would be really handy to know more how you do this, PB. Could you enlarge on what you actually do, please? I'm ok with the centre punch, but it's the "crack loose" that has me puzzling. Do you use the punch to start to "unwind" the bolt? Thanks.
Yes, and place your punch as far as possible from bolt centre..loosen both bolts first before further unwinding... very easy. Sorry no pics, tool, all left at work while still recovering at home after knee replacement
For this operation, I use centre punch(pointer) and a small hammer, crack loose both sheer off bolts and then unscrew'em by fingers. Depending of an access point it may take as little as few minutes. Done hundred of times on cars. Believe bikes are similar if not identical ??:idea:
P.S There is also a special socket that may work, depending on sheer off bolt shape
:)
It would be really handy to know more how you do this, PB. Could you enlarge on what you actually do, please? I'm ok with the centre punch, but it's the "crack loose" that has me puzzling. Do you use the punch to start to "unwind" the bolt? Thanks.
Yes, and place your punch as far as possible from bolt centre..loosen both bolts first before further unwinding... very easy. Sorry no pics, tool, all left at work while still recovering at home after knee replacement
Thanks, PB. That's a good tip to know.
You sort-of instinctively know that it "might" be possible, but it's better to be certain than to chance it and just mullah-ing the bolt instead! :D
 
Back
Top