Kawasaki Versys 1000 LT

curlyjoe

Road warrior
Thread starter
I stopped by my local dealer the other day and checked out their adventure bikes. I'm not planning on going off pavement but would like a more comfortable bike for long day trips.

BMW GS ($21K)
Honda VFR1200X (~$16K)
Versys 1000 LT ($13)

The BMW and the Honda are just too expensive in my opinion. Neither comes with any hard luggage so that would add more expense. The versys comes with the hard saddle bags.

Kawasaki is also offering a $1000 rebate for the 2016 versys 1000 so I talked to the sales guy about trading in my 2013 CB1100A. He said since my bike has "high mileage" (~15K) so he could only offer me $4900 for my bike. That would include the OEM rack and 35 L top case and my K&H "high" custom seat. I really like the versys seating position and am hoping that the suspension/seat would offer more comfort for long days in the saddle. I don't plan on taking overnight trips but I would like to take long day trips into northern NH and also Vermont and western Mass. Currently with the CB, I'm really cramped and sore when I take those trips.

I wish I could afford both motorcycles but that's not an option. The Versys seems too be a lot of motorcycle for the money but I'm going to have a rough time giving up the CB.

Does anyone have any thought on pros and cons of the versys 1000?

The versys doesn't do all that well in the press "shootouts" but the price point and a real smooth and sweet in line 4 are pluses for me.

Super Adventure Bikes COMPARISON TEST

2015 Ultimate Sports-Adventure-Touring Shootout
 
Curly, did you take a test ride?

I just bought a new Africa Twin for the same sort of reasons, but have thought since that I might have been better off with the Versys 1000. It looks a very capable bike.

I was going to sell the CB but I missed it so much when I put it away to sell, that I've decided to keep both.
It's going to be costly but I just don't get the buzz of the Africa Twin that I do with my CB. My girlfriend also doesn't gel with the AT ;-)

That said, since getting the AT I've done several 400-500 mile days which I just wouldn't have enjoyed so much on the CB. I could have done it, but I'd have been totally knackered at the end of the day. With the AT, sat up behind the screen, loping along at great speed up the motorway, I've jumped off the bike at the end of the day and gone straight to the pub to meet friends... fresh as a daisy.

I bought the CB with my own money but bought the AT on the 'never, never' with a PCP deal. Couple of grand down and then payments of £111 pm. I'd never done that before but for a working bike I'm going to keep Std, it's worked out a good thing... worth a thought.

Also, I'm thinking of trading the AT in for something even more practical like the Versys. The monthly payment plan seems to make that easier somehow. I own the bike I love and just rent the bike i need....
 
The OP is seeking a "Super Adventure" so the Africa Twin is not going to fill the bill there.

The VFR1200X would probably be a great choice if you are tall and do not really plan on ever taking it off road.

None of the Super ADV class are really going to be smart choices for even smooth dirt roads. Their strengths are in enhanced ride comfort on secondary and tertiary pavement as well as generally longer range and more options for hard luggage.

The Kawasaki is most definitely the best value for the money.
 
Seemed to fair pretty well in the tests you linked to me, only a few positions finishing behind much more expensive bikes, and finishing ahead of several much more expensive bikes.

and I don't know about you, but the electronics stuff the more expensive bikes had scares me a bit more than the simpler LT.

Then there's the dealer situation, parts availability and maintenance costs.
 
CJ, if you decide to trade in your CB at dealership, consider removing the rack and top case, as well as reinstalling the stock seat if you still have it. It's doubtful the dealer would reduce the trade-in value without these accessories, plus you could sell them here or on eBay and recover some value. Good luck with your search.
 
Don't know about the 1000 but it's little brother was a strong contender for me, good bike at an excellent price point.
Owned a GS for 9 years and a mile or two in that period. Nice bike. Not worth the money - purely my opinion. Costs a lot more to outfit the way you want also.
 
+1 on pulling off the farkles if you trade it in. Having worked at a dealership, I can confidently say the trade-in value will not change, just a little extra grousing from them, and they have already low-balled you prettty good! It will be priced at almost $7,000 when you first visit the dealership after the trade-in.

I daresay not a single person who writes the Honda 1200X "isn't fun", "can't be ridden" offroad has ever personally done so. I have. It is just a shade less off-road worthy than the mighty, and mighty expensive, BMW 1200GS. I have owned the 12GS, and currently have an 800GS. I regularly ride forest service roads and logging roads with my 65 yr-old friend on his stock (including skidplate!) 1200X. He has owned an 1150GS, 1200GS Adventure, NC700X, Suzuki DL 1000. This bike is his favorite, by far, on AND off road, and he swears he won't buy another bike without the DCT. He is impossible to keep up with. The third rider (on a water-cooled 12GS Adventure)in our group is an MSF instructors instructor as well as an off-road coach. He can't keep up either, although he is closer than I am.

The fellow with the 1200X left last week on a Seattle to Memphis trip, and back, on that bike. It's still almost stock because none of the Touratech parts are here yet. They are all in Europe.

IMHO, of course....
 
Thread starter
@Olyrider

Hmm.. maybe I should give the 1200X another look. The one this dealer has is their first one in but it doesn't have DCT. However, I have no interest in going off the paved roads although many are in desperate need of repair around here.

Clearly I should give this more thought and try to work out 2 bikes in the garage. :)
 
Olyrider_imp said:
+1 on pulling off the farkles if you trade it in. Having worked at a dealership, I can confidently say the trade-in value will not change, just a little extra grousing from them, and they have already low-balled you prettty good! It will be priced at almost $7,000 when you first visit the dealership after the trade-in.

I daresay not a single person who writes the Honda 1200X "isn't fun", "can't be ridden" offroad has ever personally done so. I have. It is just a shade less off-road worthy than the mighty, and mighty expensive, BMW 1200GS. I have owned the 12GS, and currently have an 800GS. I regularly ride forest service roads and logging roads with my 65 yr-old friend on his stock (including skidplate!) 1200X. He has owned an 1150GS, 1200GS Adventure, NC700X, Suzuki DL 1000. This bike is his favorite, by far, on AND off road, and he swears he won't buy another bike without the DCT. He is impossible to keep up with. The third rider (on a water-cooled 12GS Adventure)in our group is an MSF instructors instructor as well as an off-road coach. He can't keep up either, although he is closer than I am.

The fellow with the 1200X left last week on a Seattle to Memphis trip, and back, on that bike. It's still almost stock because none of the Touratech parts are here yet. They are all in Europe.

IMHO, of course....
Each class of adventure bike has its venue; the Supers are intended for pavement or reasonable surfaces. I think people generally do whatever they want, such as getting out of a car while in the middle of a drive through tiger park. It doesn't always turn out to be a good idea.

I only say this to cause some potential buyer who may think they'll "be fine" on one of these enormous boat anchors to think twice. And I have plenty enough experience off and on road to know that that the bigger they are, the harder they fall.
 
CJ you might consider looking for a used ST1300 Honda or Yamaha FJR or Suzuki Bandit 1250. Im sure you can find a clean fairly low mile example of those for around $5 K and still keep the CB
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
The OP is seeking a "Super Adventure" so the Africa Twin is not going to fill the bill there.

The VFR1200X would probably be a great choice if you are tall and do not really plan on ever taking it off road.

None of the Super ADV class are really going to be smart choices for even smooth dirt roads. Their strengths are in enhanced ride comfort on secondary and tertiary pavement as well as generally longer range and more options for hard luggage.

The Kawasaki is most definitely the best value for the money.

Not arguing...just disagreeing based on many miles on the bikes being discussed...except the new Versys.

Cycle World just named the Africa Twin the best "Adventure Bike" in its "Top Ten Bikes of 2016".

Writing that the "Super ADV bikes" are really not going to be "smart choices" for even "smooth dirt roads" means what exactly? Tens of thousands of us on ADVrider.com have done exactly that for over thirty years. It is the most fun I have on anything with a motor. Writing that it is akin to getting out of the car in a tiger park is unadulterated hyperbole. That's proper English for "BS". Just because it doesn't appeal to you doesn't make it dangerous or silly for someone else.

Three weeks ago, I attended the Touratech Rally in Plain, Washington. The largest ADV Rally in North America. 450 riders on mostly 12GS's and big KTM's. Your textbook definition of "Super ADV bikes". We had twelve "off-road routes". Three easy, five intermediate, and four rated "expert. Up to 100 miles long. Not even the "easy" routes fit your definition of smooth gravel. No one complained. Everyone went home happy. We rode a couple of the expert routes. Dale on his VFR1200X. No mods and stock skid plate.

It is hard to have an informed opinion about a bike you haven't personally ridden in the conditions you state are as dangerous for the rider as a Tiger Park foray.

I am championing the virtues of the VFR1200X...NOT extolling the virtues of any rider. We all know to "Ride your own Ride!"

IMHO, of course...
 
Olyrider_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
The OP is seeking a "Super Adventure" so the Africa Twin is not going to fill the bill there.

The VFR1200X would probably be a great choice if you are tall and do not really plan on ever taking it off road.

None of the Super ADV class are really going to be smart choices for even smooth dirt roads. Their strengths are in enhanced ride comfort on secondary and tertiary pavement as well as generally longer range and more options for hard luggage.

The Kawasaki is most definitely the best value for the money.

Not arguing...just disagreeing based on many miles on the bikes being discussed...except the new Versys.

Cycle World just named the Africa Twin the best "Adventure Bike" in its "Top Ten Bikes of 2016".

Writing that the "Super ADV bikes" are really not going to be "smart choices" for even "smooth dirt roads" means what exactly? Tens of thousands of us on ADVrider.com have done exactly that for over thirty years. It is the most fun I have on anything with a motor. Writing that it is akin to getting out of the car in a tiger park is unadulterated hyperbole. That's proper English for "BS". Just because it doesn't appeal to you doesn't make it dangerous or silly for someone else.

Three weeks ago, I attended the Touratech Rally in Plain, Washington. The largest ADV Rally in North America. 450 riders on mostly 12GS's and big KTM's. Your textbook definition of "Super ADV bikes". We had twelve "off-road routes". Three easy, five intermediate, and four rated "expert. Up to 100 miles long. Not even the "easy" routes fit your definition of smooth gravel. No one complained. Everyone went home happy. We rode a couple of the expert routes. Dale on his VFR1200X. No mods and stock skid plate.

It is hard to have an informed opinion about a bike you haven't personally ridden in the conditions you state are as dangerous for the rider as a Tiger Park foray.

I am championing the virtues of the VFR1200X...NOT extolling the virtues of any rider. We all know to "Ride your own Ride!"

IMHO, of course...

Not arguing...just disagreeing based on many miles on the bikes being discussed...except the new Versys.

Cycle World just named the Africa Twin the best "Adventure Bike" in its "Top Ten Bikes of 2016".

Writing that the "Super ADV bikes" are really not going to be "smart choices" for even "smooth dirt roads" means what exactly? Tens of thousands of us on ADVrider.com have done exactly that for over thirty years. It is the most fun I have on anything with a motor. Writing that it is akin to getting out of the car in a tiger park is unadulterated hyperbole. That's proper English for "BS". Just because it doesn't appeal to you doesn't make it dangerous or silly for someone else.

Three weeks ago, I attended the Touratech Rally in Plain, Washington. The largest ADV Rally in North America. 450 riders on mostly 12GS's and big KTM's. Your textbook definition of "Super ADV bikes". We had twelve "off-road routes". Three easy, five intermediate, and four rated "expert. Up to 100 miles long. Not even the "easy" routes fit your definition of smooth gravel. No one complained. Everyone went home happy. We rode a couple of the expert routes. Dale on his VFR1200X. No mods and stock skid plate.

It is hard to have an informed opinion about a bike you haven't personally ridden in the conditions you state are as dangerous for the rider as a Tiger Park foray.

I am championing the virtues of the VFR1200X...NOT extolling the virtues of any rider. We all know to "Ride your own Ride!"

IMHO, of course... Of course there are some riders with the ability to handle these machines; I certainly don't argue that. I recall an image of Kenny Roberts pitching a V-Max completely sideways, quite spectacularly. I think KR knows his limitations, though. I attended a BMW Rally in Arizona where a guy rode his R100RT on the same route where most of us were all riding GS's, and he was two-up. He was careful and picked his way around the tough sections but was able to pull it off. I used to ride my Hawk GT 647 off-road, and I don't mean well-groomed dirt. Dirt bikes used to have 5" of travel and were low-slung, as anyone who recalls Malcolm Smith would know. Most of us cannot ride like Malcolm or Kenny Roberts, though.

The ADV market is burgeoning and many riders who have never ridden off-road are buying these motorcycles, much to their chagrin. And many are middle-aged or even older, and getting geared up to the maximum possible configuration. They've got the money and the desire.

There are "clinics" and riding schools that purport to be able to teach new riders off-road riding skills on the behemoths that are marketed as off-road capable. We have all seen the images. It's not any different than the images of sportbikes in advertisements, with the fine print stating the rider is an expert on a closed course.

I must disagree; we don't all know how to ride our own ride. Many of us want to keep up with the fast guy and try to ride his ride, and just as often the fast guy doesn't care what happens behind him. We do all take our own risks, that is true.

I have seen many a rider scraped off the road trying to chase down the fast guy, and plenty of them get bikes that are too much for them. These Super Adventure bikes are a lot of bike and without expert riding skills for off-road (and even with such skills) the chance of getting in trouble is quite a bit higher with the extra weight.

I started riding dirt in 1983 on an XT200, worked up to the XT550, then an XL600, and so on. There was a CR250R in there somewhere as well. In 1990 I purchased a new R100GS and rode it quite extensively in a wide variety of conditions. That particular bike handled extremely well off-road because of the low-slung flat twin, much better than the new F800GS which carries its weight high, with the fuel above the rear tire, and thus is harder to control when the rear wheel steps out, among other things. The F800GS is much better on pavement with a lot more power, though, and that is the trend. More power and more features but less practical and capable.

If one were to lay an R100GS down, it would only fall to about a 45 degree angle and was very easy to pick up. I never had to do this but I had a lot more confidence in being able to pick the machine up and continue if I were to have dropped it.

These new machines (excepting the R1200GS) fall flat on their sides and are very heavy, some over 600 pounds; that R100GS was about the same weight as the F800GS (470 pounds) but much easier to pick up and handle because of the low CG.

I don't believe my example of the tiger preserve was hyperbole in any sense; I personally know folks who were stranded without help and died slowly and painfully of exposure. It nearly happened twice to me, once on the LA to Barstow to Vegas ride one Thanksgiving week, and another time when I was tearing around off-road on an XT550 and got down to the bottom of a hill the bike was unable to climb. In the first instance, I was very fortunately picked up by the sweep, and in the second, by some hunters. The following weekend, two people died of exposure in the same area when they got lost, and were not found in time to save them. I should think that a quick bite through the spinal cord would be more merciful.

If one must have the biggest and most powerful Super ADV, don't ride alone off-road, always ride with a buddy. And maybe a satellite phone.
 
Well I think adventure means different things to different people, and even though the moniker is right there in the name Adventure bike, it doesn't necessarily mean one must ride in Paris to Dakar like conditions to own one. Someone who buys an ADV bike must certainly realize their own limitations if they intend to leave pavement and ride accordingly just as someone who buys a liter supersport has to know it takes certain skills to go through a set of twisties quickly and must ride within their limitations as well.

When I first started riding, an off road bike was a regular bike, with a set of upswept exhausts and some bumpier tires, and you'd be surprised where we rode those.

People take Goldwings down fire roads and I saw a story once about a guy that road an R-1 Yamaha in some gawd awful greasy places off road so you don't have to buy an Adventure bike to ride off road.just a certain skill set and some determination.

The real advantage of an adventure bike today is because of ergos, weather protection, fuel capacity, suspension compliance, and luggage capacity they make really excellent on road touring bikes. But list the disadvantages as being generally heavy with high centers of gravity and generally sky high seat heights.

I'd have one if I could but I'm not even tall enought to ride the lttle ones lol
 
Ferret, the Triump Explorer XCx Low is 31 inches...
 
The ferret_imp said:
Well I think adventure means different things to different people, and even though the moniker is right there in the name Adventure bike, it doesn't necessarily mean one must ride in Paris to Dakar like conditions to own one. Someone who buys an ADV bike must certainly realize their own limitations if they intend to leave pavement and ride accordingly just as someone who buys a liter supersport has to know it takes certain skills to go through a set of twisties quickly and must ride within their limitations as well.

When I first started riding, an off road bike was a regular bike, with a set of upswept exhausts and some bumpier tires, and you'd be surprised where we rode those.

People take Goldwings down fire roads and I saw a story once about a guy that road an R-1 Yamaha in some gawd awful greasy places off road so you don't have to buy an Adventure bike to ride off road.just a certain skill set and some determination.

The real advantage of an adventure bike today is because of ergos, weather protection, fuel capacity, suspension compliance, and luggage capacity they make really excellent on road touring bikes. But list the disadvantages as being generally heavy with high centers of gravity and generally sky high seat heights.

I'd have one if I could but I'm not even tall enought to ride the lttle ones lol
I think you hit it right on the bull's eye as far as what I was trying to express. I get that it's fun to ride machines that seem improbable in extreme conditions; my initial responses were to the OP's statement that he had no intention of going off-pavement.

I stopped by my local dealer the other day and checked out their adventure bikes. I'm not planning on going off pavement but would like a more comfortable bike for long day trips.

I readily second the notion some riders are quite capable under various kinds of riding conditions, be it pavement or dirt or whatever may connect the two.

I really think you hit the nail right on the head with this:

The real advantage of an adventure bike today is because of ergos, weather protection, fuel capacity, suspension compliance, and luggage capacity they make really excellent on road touring bikes. But list the disadvantages as being generally heavy with high centers of gravity and generally sky high seat heights.

A Super ADV is going to be a lot better motorcycle for long distance rides under tough conditions of weather and substandard roads. They are not going to be a good choice for any kind of serious or even moderate off-road excursions. It's hard to take everything including the kitchen sink with you on a long solo tour and expect to be able to right the bike if it falls. Even the new CRF1000L is really too heavy for this kind of thing at over 500 pounds, around 530 with the automatic clutch and other features.

To the OP, I would honestly say I'd go with the CRF1000L (Africa Twin) over any of the others, as it's got the most features and power in a really nice package. The 21" front wheel is very nice for tight bumpy pavement or even the occasional fire road.

But if you never intend to go off pavement, the Kawasaki is the same money, with 17" wheels, and it appears to have gotten a couple of "Bike of the Year" awards last year.

Based on the original post I'd say the Kawasaki is a strong contender.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
CJ you might consider looking for a used ST1300 Honda or Yamaha FJR or Suzuki Bandit 1250. Im sure you can find a clean fairly low mile example of those for around $5 K and still keep the CB
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. :thumbsup:
 
The AT is a great bike, I've done about 3000 miles on it and it's a lovely bike to ride. If you want two up I'd look elsewhere. My girlfriend said it was uncomfortable and didn't get along with it. I've seen a few reviews that said the same. Also, it's not as powerful as it may seem on paper. Fine for solo uses but two up with luggage it can be a bit of a slog. Also, if you like a bit of power and speed then it can feel a bit flat. You soon find the limits of the power. On small country lanes tho. its great.
This is all on the road tho. I bought it with the intention of taking it off-road and doing a bit of green laneing.
Two weeks after owning it I pulled into a service station, off the motorway. It had been raining heavily the night before and there was a large puddle across the car park. It was 5 am and no-one was around. I thought about blasting thru it on my lofty all terrain bike, but bottled it and road carefully around it. I realised then that I had clearly bought the wrong bike and it would never leave the tarmac! :-))) I did feel a little bit foolish!

The AT is a great handling, fun road bike but if you want comfort and a big powerful engine, there are better choices.

I test road a VFR1200X - very fast, great road bike. Bit heavy but super engine.
 
I think the DL650 V-strom is the choice I would make over any of the others discussed here. That V-twin is such a sweet motor, able to cruise all day at 80+ and deliver amazing fuel economy. Cheap to buy and operate, decent standard seat and a host of accessories to make it your own. The Wee-strom is also easy to lower for the vertically challenged such as myself. The brakes and suspension are a weak point but the initial low cost means that premium upgrades can be made and still be well under the cost of other ADV bikes. The fellow who bought Pamela's 2007 Strom replaced the front brakes with a set from a wrecked GSXR, replaced the fork springs with heavier rate (he's a big guy) and replaced rear shock with a premium brand. He and his wife tour on it and love it.
 
Thread starter
@redbirds

I'll keep an eye out for V-stroms too (used).

I found a Honda dealer in Windham, NH that has the following bikes:

2-1200X w/ and w/o DCT
Africa Twin w/DCT
2007 FJR with 49K miles ($5500)
RED 2008 ST1300 with 17K miles ($6500)

Red is faster, right?

I think I'll ride up there tomorrow. :)
 
wow I'd love to pick up a 17K mi ST 1300. Probably last me the rest of my life lol
 
Back
Top