KAWASAKI 550 LTD

peterbaron

Road warrior
Thread starter
Yesterday evening drove by and thought it was CB550... today went to check'em out and took a few pics.
Both are Kawasaki 550 LTD, 1980 & 1982.
'82 in good running condition (did not ride but heard engine running and revving 4000rpm = sounds good), '80 - no spark
I am NOT soliciting anything at all

7a1665ae301e83e91ff2ec83c69aa830.jpg


13c67e0a152ee63ad821bbe9e520c65b.jpg


337006b4bb373a8ef7e327cf2eedc76f.jpg


82f2e1228c3d2ccb69fb54d0582e3f60.jpg


28b542058f716f40ece95d2e128fce06.jpg


:thumbsup:
 
Should be inexpensive to purchase and maintain. Parts for these are widely available.

Twenty years ago I bought a very used '82 KZ440 LTD for my significant other to learn on. It was in similar condition to these bikes, but it was a twin, not a four. It started and ran but the carbs leaked (worn float needles) so you had to mind the petcock, and the clutch slipped on hard acceleration. I didn't bother to repair the carbs, replace the clutch, or even change the oil. We called it the Junk Yard Dog. Anyway, she used it to learn on, which was its only purpose. Bought it for $300 and sold it seven months later for $340. One of very few bikes I've made money on!

8ceab3f7fb5dc8966bc07c98347e2cb8.jpg
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Should be inexpensive to purchase and maintain. Parts for these are widely available.

Twenty years ago I bought a very used '82 KZ440 LTD for my significant other to learn on. It was in similar condition to these bikes, but it was a twin, not a four. It started and ran but the carbs leaked (worn float needles) so you had to mind the petcock, and the clutch slipped on hard acceleration. I didn't bother to repair the carbs, replace the clutch, or even change the oil. We called it the Junk Yard Dog. Anyway, she used it to learn on, which was its only purpose. Bought it for $300 and sold it seven months later for $340. One of very few bikes I've made money on!

8ceab3f7fb5dc8966bc07c98347e2cb8.jpg

:rofl: yea, you have to hit the age of a bike just right, where it is at close to the minimum value it will ever have, to make money. I don't know that I've ever MADE money on a bike but I bought a used Yamaha FZ-01 for $3K once, rode it a couple of years and sold it for $2850...so $150 for a couple years of riding is not bad.
 
The ferret_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
Should be inexpensive to purchase and maintain. Parts for these are widely available.

Twenty years ago I bought a very used '82 KZ440 LTD for my significant other to learn on. It was in similar condition to these bikes, but it was a twin, not a four. It started and ran but the carbs leaked (worn float needles) so you had to mind the petcock, and the clutch slipped on hard acceleration. I didn't bother to repair the carbs, replace the clutch, or even change the oil. We called it the Junk Yard Dog. Anyway, she used it to learn on, which was its only purpose. Bought it for $300 and sold it seven months later for $340. One of very few bikes I've made money on!

8ceab3f7fb5dc8966bc07c98347e2cb8.jpg

:rofl: yea, you have to hit the age of a bike just right, where it is at close to the minimum value it will ever have, to make money. I don't know that I've ever MADE money on a bike but I bought a used Yamaha FZ-01 for $3K once, rode it a couple of years and sold it for $2850...so $150 for a couple years of riding is not bad.

:rofl: yea, you have to hit the age of a bike just right, where it is at close to the minimum value it will ever have, to make money. I don't know that I've ever MADE money on a bike but I bought a used Yamaha FZ-01 for $3K once, rode it a couple of years and sold it for $2850...so $150 for a couple years of riding is not bad.
I have definitely not made money off a bike but then never tried too either.

I bought my '84 Virago 1000 for $2500 in '91 and sold it in 2002 for....$2500 after putting 90,000km on it. I added a set of crash bars and Hwy pegs, got the tank painted and recovered the seat at one point. I figure I did ok in that deal. When I moved in 2011 it was still running.
 
My favorite bike in my memory was my early 80's Kawasaki KZ750 LTD I had when I was in the Army. That is the bike I modeled my CB build from.

I dated a girl that had a small LTD version like this, I don't know the exact year or displacement- I just remember it felt weird to ride due to being much more raked out than my 750.

Great bikes.
 
I had an '81. Put me in the hospital several times. Left hand turners, rain+oil+turn=ER time. Etc.

The carb slides have this tiny aluminum flipper and the dog ear tabs that wrap around the shaft that holds it tend to work harden and break. The tab will either pass harmlessly through the engine - or get caught by a valve.
The seat sucks when it comes to long rides. Also the seam between the rider and the bum stop tears out.
Handling wise, you can thread about three-four white lines before it tosses you off the line. Flexible frame?
My mechanic got into a couple drag races with '82 Aspencade/Silverwings and spanked them. That motor had some serious poop for a 550 - around 50hp. Very good for the time.

I changed the oil and filter every 2K. Had the valves done at 22,000 miles or so. Compression was at least 190psi, typically better, in all four cylinders. Cycle World and the shop typically saw 150psi after 10k (no one changed the oil).

Mine was a deep maroon, best shaped gas tank on a bike, in my opinion. It was totalled out by a left hand turner, ending my riding days for about 26 years. I'd rather have my old CJ360T back, but this is a close 2nd.
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
I had an '81. Put me in the hospital several times. Left hand turners, rain+oil+turn=ER time. Etc.

The carb slides have this tiny aluminum flipper and the dog ear tabs that wrap around the shaft that holds it tend to work harden and break. The tab will either pass harmlessly through the engine - or get caught by a valve.
The seat sucks when it comes to long rides. Also the seam between the rider and the bum stop tears out.
Handling wise, you can thread about three-four white lines before it tosses you off the line. Flexible frame?
My mechanic got into a couple drag races with '82 Aspencade/Silverwings and spanked them. That motor had some serious poop for a 550 - around 50hp. Very good for the time.

I changed the oil and filter every 2K. Had the valves done at 22,000 miles or so. Compression was at least 190psi, typically better, in all four cylinders. Cycle World and the shop typically saw 150psi after 10k (no one changed the oil).

Mine was a deep maroon, best shaped gas tank on a bike, in my opinion. It was totalled out by a left hand turner, ending my riding days for about 26 years. I'd rather have my old CJ360T back, but this is a close 2nd.
Rboe, are you already home or still recovering in ER :P..lol
Thanks for sharing..
:thumbsup:
 
Back
Top