?Katsumi? - a new project in the making

Zee9_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello everybody,

I’m new to the honda forum but not new to the world of motorcycles. I remember trying a honda cb350 four in india as a teenager with a 4-1 Kerker (I think) exhaust and always loved that look of a retro bike.

Here in America my first bike ended up being a mint condition 2000 Triumph Thunderbird Sport which was all stock but after a stupid spill due to a guy running a atop sign got me thinking of customizing the triump. I owned her (Emma) since 2014 and made quite a few changes to her. I’ll let the before and after pictures do the talking

This was Emma all stock the way I got her:

581a24e0b1294d3eaa89b6010ea3096b.jpg

eebd94eaa0c317bb11a6f6a0ba10e3a3.jpg


Emma when she got sold:

abe6357f4d442b2a6bfa483179edca40.jpg

cbc727893cda6a7b5b26f460d8a65391.jpg

d8a367796bc631a804d10fea90ef6242.jpg

16cc026277bbea59d6c6e20b11287b45.jpg

711a7af698535f0eb892f1b01863912a.jpg

56067c8683d06e083f870c0ef47a3ffb.jpg

8492642301fdf180118994c82ef05e0c.png


So why am I adding triumph pictures on a honda forum. Well I just brought home my new (to me) “Katsumi” (pictures below) who is a 2014 cb1100 and I was hoping to gain some guidance from the gentlefolk here for the few mods I have planned.

ce1363e4c7a3151fc3998183d41b1477.jpg


b23eb21987c390c68d7dabd77afc9d49.jpg


Planned ideas so far:

1. Tail light: will be changed to a black powder coated Lucas tail light to clean up the rear area but I want to keep the rear mudguard unlike the triumph.

2. I changed the stock headlight on the triumph (also a 7” headlight). I tried the motodemic but found it too modern looking and eventually settled on the truck light 7” complete enclosure as I love the beam pattern and retro look but it bothered me that it sticks almost 1/3” out of the headlight bezel so I’m open to ideas as I feel the oem headlight is not that great.

3. Handlebars: I’m a bit ocd so I ended up try 8/9 bars on my triumph and actually made an excel sheet pointing out the differences. Issue is that those were foe all fat bars that fit on the larger diameter Rizoma risers. With the Honda I was thinking ok keeping the mids as minimal as possible so as to keep that retro look the same. I still do have 7 handlebars in storage and a pair of Rizoma risers which may end up going on the honda but first is love to hear more ideas.

4. Mirrors: either bar end mirrors or the reverse Napoleon mirrors are planned. Much easier to decide than all the other planned mods.

5. Exhaust: I’m going to save this for last as the ideas I have sound really pricey and experimental ($$$$)

6. Blinkers: I have a set of arc blinkers which are small led nullet shaped blinkere. Just need to figure out wiring and compatibility

***** Rear tyre - still need to decide on this but my Triumph Thunderbird Sport had the same size rear radial tyre as the stock cb1100 when I bought her but found the ride to be much much more fun with a 150/70/17 tyre on the twisty roads. I still need to cover more miles on the honda to decide if this is a requirement.

Hope to hear positive and constructive thoughts

Zee


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Ok what's the story on the 8th pic? Gentlemen's ride, or riding to work?
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Ok what's the story on the 8th pic? Gentlemen's ride, or riding to work?

Gentleman’s ride would be correct. I didn’t wanna start off by asking people to donate money. But yes it’s been a fun 8 years that I’ve participated in nyc at the DGR. If you were ever at the nyc DGR then you know my moustache since I think I’m the only one whose won best moustache twice so far.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
As Triumph T300 owner I have seen your bike (and posts) several times before, welcome to CB1100 ownership. Enjoy your DGR, this year we in Ireland are officially limited to solo rides, no grouping due to Covid regulations which are still pretty harsh here (although our schools have been open for a long time). There will be plenty of Honda's taking part in DGR in Dublin, it's all quite relaxed on make/model in these parts and we get a great bunch of 80/90's Japanese taking part.
 
Welcome Zee9. I'll follow your journey with interest. Be aware: the CB1100's wheels are 18 inch and finding tyres for the bike is a real problem and the source of many an anguished post on the forum.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Welcome Zee9. I'll follow your journey with interest. Be aware: the CB1100's wheels are 18 inch and finding tyres for the bike is a real problem and the source of many an anguished post on the forum.

Wow I didn’t even notice that. Just went to the garage to have a peek and you’re right. I guess i’ll have to search more on the forums about what decent tyres are for this bike


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Welcome Zee! I love that copper look on your Triumph. That's something I never would have thought of for a bike. I'm looking forward to following your progress with your CB.
 
Thread starter
This is probably going to turn out to be a long thread with all my questions, photos and updates.

Today I Added the airhawk-R from my 2015 BMW F700gs which is now sold. The CB1100 seat is just a tad bit wide for my inner thighs and I’m hoping the airhawk helps.

I also added the fairing that the seller had. No idea what brand of fairing this is but looks similar to the emgo venom. Please do let me know if you know what fairing this is.
It looks much better than I had expected. I’ll know if it helps after a test ride tomorrow.

Also added the quad lock for the phone. Still have to plan a switchable power socket or a usb with voltage display.

Removed the bar end weights and the inners. I’m planning to change the handlebars and mirrors and thought my Rizoma or triumph bar end mirrors would fit but those inners were made for fat bars. Not sure if I wanna take away some of the retro look with the fat bars I have lying around.

5f4b41beb9d0d5f253b0b7a53ea7e1df.jpg



8d1812a00906141e2af4001e57897aa4.jpg

5f3cd19fa0fad569f388b1b67c6c602f.jpg

41ccc0f5088aa1c9f5caa5f90662935d.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I've always liked that Thunderbird Sport and almost bought one with the orange tank/flyscreen/seat cowl which looks great but I really like your copper motif. However, I did not buy it and for the life of me I can't remember what I did buy. Good luck on the CB...
 
Pirelli Angel GT 120/70 front and 160/60 back is what I run. Slightly bigger than stock but I love the looks and handling. Not a great longevity tire, but I’ll take the grip over cost savings any day.
 
I think the handling on the CB1100 with stock tyres is pretty sharp. One downfall of a wider tyre (amongst some others) is that your contact patch is further away from the centre of the tyre in a corner, requiring you to lean further than stock to balance those same cornering forces. Look how upright a 250cc bike with skinny tyres can get round corners. You might get a slightly larger contact patch too but the power the CB1100 lays down is not testing the regular tyres patch in the first place, I'm not so sure you are getting any extra grip that would make any real world use to you. You are also carrying extra weight, un-sprung mass and making more work for the engine with the heavier rubber. To me there are too many negatives going up a tyre size but I will admit a big fat rear tyre does look nice.
 
I’m sure you’re right Tev. I used oversized rear tyres for some time as they were the only radial options available. I’m not a good enough rider to notice the difference and I liked them.
 
Thread starter
Rizoma 60mm risers and a black Rizoma bar. 30” wide. Done!

964dd06ad8b0212ba34030ed054dfa07.jpg

eacd28a8ff013ac1b2214f63327ec7eb.jpg

a0219e8e9315eea1ef69019858dd7ecc.jpg

948162840bb2f21fe221ba57a3f9d816.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Next project is the grote 7” led headlight. Which should be just a plug and play.

I’ve been pondering over a muffler replacement. I have a dented yoshimura RS3 at the moment and was thinking of doing something different. Since I have the linkage pipes i’ll take of just the yoshimura muffler and try and find a short stubby muffler that can fit in the diameter of the yoshimura linkage.

This leo Vince looked nice on a cb1000r and was considering this one. Any thoughts?

LeoVince LV-10 Slip-On Exhaust - RevZilla


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Take a look on you tube for Delboys fix for bar end mounts , easy hardware store fix using concrete anchors.
 
Firstly, that's a gorgeous Thunderbird Sport. In both forms.

You'll love the CB. Especially when it's sorted and unleashed.
I see where you may be going with it.. Good taste.

Here's my little unleashed. Once the ECU is tuned and unlocked and you let the engine breathe it becomes a whole other bike.
 
I like my Yoshimura header/exhaust, but then again, i'm biased.
Note on the rear tire - you don't have to go much larger than the stock width before the tire will rub on the center stand. Some have ground down the inner flange(s) of the stand to create room. The 160/60ZR18 70W rear works on my bike without modifying the center stand, but something just a bit wider would rub for sure.
 
Back
Top