K&N Oil Filters BEWARE!!!

davidsargee_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I generally do not post anything regarding oil or filters, but what I am about to tell you is something you all need to know. I am simply going to relate what happened to me yesterday on a busy freeway in between Dallas and Fort Worth TX.

I have a little over 30k miles on my CB1100, I have changed oil and filters exactly as the book says, so there have been several changes. On two occasions, I used the K&N 204 oil filter, they had a reputable name and I liked the bolt on the end that allows you to tighten or loosen it with an open end wrench.

The first time I used a K&N oil filter, I developed a slow leak near the end of the 3000 miles, I changed the oil and filter, this time with an OEM filter, and the leak was gone. I simply figured that maybe the o-ring was faulty or something like that and I never thought about it again. I used a K&N filter for my last oil change, it was on a Sunday and the dealer was closed, so I bought the filter at O'Reilleys, I buy the oil there as well. Recently I noticed that I smelled burning oil from time to time, but I did not find any leaks. The other day I was riding on wet roads and the rear wheel spun on left turns several times, this was unusual, the tire still has a lot of tread, and the spinning was sort of sudden.

Yesterday, I was travelling down what we call the Airport Freeway, a very wide and very busy freeway, at 75-80 mph. I noticed smoke in the rear-view mirror, at first I wasn't sure where it was coming from, then I realized it was coming from my bike! I was smoking like a wounded fighter plane on it's way down, I immediately checked the lane to the right, it was clear and I made my way across three lanes to an exit, when I got to the exit my rear wheel was spinning any time I used the throttle, I shut the engine off and coasted down the exit ramp and service road to a parking lot. I did not have enough momentum to enter the parking lot so I was forced to start the engine to get in, to my relief, the engine started right up and I got into the parking lot, I killed it again and coasted into a slot at the edge of the lot.

When I put the bike on it's side-stand and inspected it, I was astonished, oil was pouring to the ground, the front of the engine was covered in oil, the rear wheel was covered in oil, and there was a heavy trail of oil leading to the service road and beyond. I had nearly lost all of the oil in the engine, I am praying that I do not have catastrophic engine damage, I shut the engine down as soon as I could, I'll know tomorrow I guess.

My first thought was that either the oil cooler or one of the lines leading to it had failed, the only logical explanation I knew of for oil to cover the front of the engine like it did, plus the sheer volume of oil suggested it was a defect or failure of some sort. I have been dreading the cost of replacing any of these parts, the oil cooler is $300, and each line is $125. I very carefully inspected the lines and cooler as best I could in that parking lot, everything seemed tight and I could not find any apparent defects or abnormalities in the lines. I was scratching my head about this all day.

I was thinking about this at one point, when I thought about the oil filter as a possible source for the oil, I didn't think to look at it closely, and I didn't think oil could leak out of there at such a rate that it covers the front of the engine. I did not but much stock in the idea that it was the oil filter, but I had the other problem with a K&N. I did an internet search for problems with K&N filters, and to my surprise, there are scores of accounts of problems motorcyclists and car drivers alike have had with K&N filters. I even found 3 separate accounts of riders having the exact same experience that I had. One guy on a VFR forum describes the exact same experience, he posted photos, and they showed the rear wheel covered in oil as mine was, and the trail of oil behind the motorcycle. His VFR has a fairing so you could not see the front, but I bet it was just like mine as well. He posted a picture of the oil filter and you could see how the part with the bolt head had separated from the housing.

I will have the bike home tomorrow, then I will change oil and filter and look more closely for any damage to the oil lines and cooler. But after reading the accounts of others, I'm pretty certain that I will find that the oil filter failed. I will follow up with pics when I finish tomorrow. I have posted some pics from yesterday that show the oil puddle under the bike after I stopped. I should have taken a pic of the rear wheel and the oil trail, but I had stuff on my mind.


I always thought of K&N as a quality product, but I have had a problem each time I have used one. If you do a google search for "problems with K&N oil filters", you will see that I am not alone, far from it. If you use them, watch closely for leaks, mine could have killed me and ruined my engine on a busy freeway.

Cheers





[url=http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/dsargee/media/20160928_140646_zpspdppeyuf.jpg.html]
 
Well heck! Glad you got off the road okay. You did a great job keeping your head in a really dodgy situation! I await your followup posts.
I have been running K&N filters all along with no trouble, but that means nothing.
You said this other guy's filter had a break between the body and bolt of the filter? I can't imagine how that would happen except possibly 1) he over-tightened the filter using the bolt, or 2) he hit something. I always just tighten the filter by hand so as to not damage the gasket. Anyhow, I hope you find no damage and get back on the road soon!
 
Thread starter
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Well heck! Glad you got off the road okay. You did a great job keeping your head in a really dodgy situation! I await your followup posts.
I have been running K&N filters all along with no trouble, but that means nothing.
You said this other guy's filter had a break between the body and bolt of the filter? I can't imagine how that would happen except possibly 1) he over-tightened the filter using the bolt, or 2) he hit something. I always just tighten the filter by hand so as to not damage the gasket. Anyhow, I hope you find no damage and get back on the road soon!
Thanks, I have run them over the years, not every vehicle, but never had a problem. I hand tighten the oil filter as well, so it wasn't because of that. I have been reading other accounts, and it seems that faulty welding may be the culprit. It is said that the welding of the bolt to the housing sometimes gets too hot, burning through ever so slightly and creating a pin hole. The pin hole eventually gives way in one of several ways. The VFR guy's pic shows the bolt has seperated from the housing altogether. There is another VFR account with a pic showing a crack in the housing that could have been from over tightening. These filters are being manufactured in a different factory and country than before, perhaps this lead to the problems. I don't know, but I am through with them.
 
davidsargee_imp said:
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Well heck! Glad you got off the road okay. You did a great job keeping your head in a really dodgy situation! I await your followup posts.
I have been running K&N filters all along with no trouble, but that means nothing.
You said this other guy's filter had a break between the body and bolt of the filter? I can't imagine how that would happen except possibly 1) he over-tightened the filter using the bolt, or 2) he hit something. I always just tighten the filter by hand so as to not damage the gasket. Anyhow, I hope you find no damage and get back on the road soon!
Thanks, I have run them over the years, not every vehicle, but never had a problem. I hand tighten the oil filter as well, so it wasn't because of that. I have been reading other accounts, and it seems that faulty welding may be the culprit. It is said that the welding of the bolt to the housing sometimes gets too hot, burning through ever so slightly and creating a pin hole. The pin hole eventually gives way in one of several ways. The VFR guy's pic shows the bolt has seperated from the housing altogether. There is another VFR account with a pic showing a crack in the housing that could have been from over tightening. These filters are being manufactured in a different factory and country than before, perhaps this lead to the problems. I don't know, but I am through with them.
Thanks, I have run them over the years, not every vehicle, but never had a problem. I hand tighten the oil filter as well, so it wasn't because of that. I have been reading other accounts, and it seems that faulty welding may be the culprit. It is said that the welding of the bolt to the housing sometimes gets too hot, burning through ever so slightly and creating a pin hole. The pin hole eventually gives way in one of several ways. The VFR guy's pic shows the bolt has seperated from the housing altogether. There is another VFR account with a pic showing a crack in the housing that could have been from over tightening. These filters are being manufactured in a different factory and country than before, perhaps this lead to the problems. I don't know, but I am through with them. Thanks for the followup. I'll check mine when the rain stops and before my long ride on Tuesday.
 
That really stinks. Do you think your engine light (low oil pressure) came on? If it didn't, I'll bet your engine is fine. I know it would take some presence of mind to notice it in your situation.

I had a similar issue on a Moto Guzzi, but it was the dipstick, not the oil filter. It unscrewed itself from vibration and was resting atop the oil filler hole. Oil was burping out of the engine, all over my pants, and onto the rear tire. I was able to notice it quickly because the engine suddenly got a lot louder, but I never lost oil pressure and all was fine.
 
Thread starter
I didn't notice the lights, a lot of things were going through my mind. I had to get off of the freeway first, then I shut the motor down as soon as I could. When I restarted to get into the parking lot, the engine started right up and sounded ok, a little loud perhaps but ok, I climbed the curb and bumped the throttle enough to give me a boost and killed it again. When I stopped, both oil pressure and temp lights were on, but this could have been because the key was on, the engine was not running.

I've got my fingers crossed, I think what happened was that it started out slow, and got worse towards the end. Hopefully I managed to shut down before any catastrophic damage was done. K&N warranties those filters and claims they will repair engine damage that was directly caused by failure of their product, but I am sure it is next to impossible to hold them to it.
 
Crazy. I also always thought they were a well-made product. I usually switch between the OEM filters and the K&N since they're basically the same price, but this gives me something to think about.
 
Search this forum and you will find another story just like yours. The filter failed at the hex head feature. I've recommended people avoid the K&N oil filters since seeing that post just to be safe.
 
Well that could have been really hairy had the roads been wet. glad every thing turned out as well as it did, and hope no engine damage occured.
 
Thread starter
kmoney_imp said:
Crazy. I also always thought they were a well-made product. I usually switch between the OEM filters and the K&N since they're basically the same price, but this gives me something to think about.
I did too, I have used them many times over the years. I prefer OEM, but if it's a day that the dealer is closed, I would just grab a K&N, or Mobil 1 oil filter and feel comfortable with it. Not anymore. I will post some pictures in a little while of my failed K&N-204. I will never use their products again.
kennyw_imp said:
Search this forum and you will find another story just like yours. The filter failed at the hex head feature. I've recommended people avoid the K&N oil filters since seeing that post just to be safe.
I thought I had read something on this forum regarding a problem with a K&N oil filter, I looked for it last night. Somehow I missed it. Thanks, at least I know that I'm not completely nuts.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Well managed David, but how very unnerving.

I had the same recollection as kennyw. The other story on this forum is here, http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=8044.

Hope,your engine is OK.
Hello Cormanus,

Thank you, it was a ride for sure, talk about getting the adrenaline up. I thought there was a similar account on the forum as well, I looked for it and did not find it. Thanks for the link. I am going to post some pics in a short while, it's a lot the same problem.

Cheers
curlyjoe_imp said:
I'm glad you made it off the road safely David. I hope the engine is OK.
Thank you, the engine seems to be ok, that's one tough motorcycle.
The ferret_imp said:
Well that could have been really hairy had the roads been wet. glad every thing turned out as well as it did, and hope no engine damage occured.
Thank you, it was pretty hairy on dry concrete. I'm going to post some pics of the rear wheel, you'll see. The engine seems ok, Honda's reputation is well earned.
 
Thread starter
Well, I rented a trailer, (I own a Honda, I don't need a trailer, :D), stopped by the Honda dealer for oil and a filter, OEM of course. And went to get my bike. I was alone, and did not relish pushing that heavy beast up a ramp, so I took some wrenches and the oil and filter with me. I changed, (replenished actually), the oil and filter before loading the bike on the trailer, hoping it would start and I could ride it on to the trailer.

When I arrived, the first thing I did was have a close look at the oil filter, it was not difficult to see, oil was still seeping from between the plate the nut sits on, and the housing. The oil filter was the culprit, beyond any doubt. You can see in the pics below, that the nut and the plate that it is attached to, have separated from the housing, creating a massive leak.

I measured the amount of oil that I drained from the engine, there was about a quart remaining. This was nearly catastrophic, had I not managed to shut the motor down, a couple of additional minutes of running, and the engine beyond a doubt would have seized up. I then tried to remove the filter, and the 17mm nut, the one that makes it "easy" to remove the filter, a strong reason that I was using those filters, stripped right away when I put my 17mm open end wrench on it. Ironic, the filter nearly toasted my engine, and I didn't even get the benefit of easy removal, :) . It was a long struggle to get that filter off, inexplicably, I did not bring my filter wrench, I thought the 17mm would be all that I needed. Despite being hand tightened when I installed it, the oil filter was really hard to get off, the nut stripped with very little effort. I eventually resorted to the old screwdriver method of oil filter removal, being careful of course not to damage or alter the place where the failure occurred.

I filled the engine with oil, and let it sit for a few minutes while I readied the trailer and tie down straps for loading the bike. I doubt there was any benefit to that, but I figured letting the oil settle a little wouldn't hurt. Finally, I took a deep breath and tried to start the engine, nothing happened, nothing at all, my heart sank, then I remembered that I left the kickstand down when I put the bike on the centerstand. Whew! I put the kickstand up and tried again it started right up, idled very smoothly, no knocks, no rattles, no weird noises of any kind. I shut it off, the engine was still covered in oil and it starts smelling pretty quick. It sounded good, like nothing happened, amazing, that is one tough motorcycle, Honda's reputation is well deserved. I started the bike up again and rode it up the ramp and on to the trailer. I did not want to ride it and get the motor hot with all of that oil on it, it's getting a good washing tomorrow.

I told the Service Manager at the Honda dealership what had happened, he said he had been unaware of the problems with the K&N oil filters. He also commented my use of full synthetic oil probably played a role in the engine surviving so well, he said that even the residue from full syn provides some lubrication.

I am going to give the bike a good washing tomorrow, and ride a little keeping a close eye for leaks, or any other potential issues that may rise from this. The bike seems ok, the engine sounds just like it did, can't tell anything happened. Regardless, I'm going to go easy for a while just to be sure its alright.

I took some pics: they are posted below.


In these pictures, you can clearly see the separation of the nut assembly from the housing. No, I did not tighten the filter with a wrench. It was hand tightened



The scratch marks on the 17mm nut are a result of the nut rounding off when I tried to loosen it with an open end wrench.

[url=http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/dsargee/media/Oil%20Filter%20Failure/20160930_230321_zpsrr6kkvsj.jpg.html]

Amazing how that little seemingly insignificant nut causes so much trouble.

[url=http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/dsargee/media/Oil%20Filter%20Failure/20160930_230517_zpsjmkv0vjb.jpg.html]

A few shots of the rear tire, still covered in oil after 2 days.

[url=http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/dsargee/media/Oil%20Filter%20Failure/20160930_230607_zpsobulc9kd.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/dsargee/media/Oil%20Filter%20Failure/20160930_230625_zpsvk12etcl.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/dsargee/media/Oil%20Filter%20Failure/20160930_230704_zpsmsn77gkc.jpg.html]

Rear tire, oil all over the fender well.

[url=http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/dsargee/media/Oil%20Filter%20Failure/20160930_230746_zpswgzes9i8.jpg.html]

Pics of the front fender, oil splattered on the back of it.

[url=http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/dsargee/media/Oil%20Filter%20Failure/20160930_231044_zpsu4i9ja1o.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/dsargee/media/Oil%20Filter%20Failure/20160930_231233_zpsi6vohmks.jpg.html]

Oil spatter on the front of the tank, and triple-tree.

[url=http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/dsargee/media/Oil%20Filter%20Failure/20160930_231315_zps2ieycuaq.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/dsargee/media/Oil%20Filter%20Failure/20160930_231422_zps7m1fpblt.jpg.html]
 
Good grief. What a mess. :(

Since it was still seeping oil from the filter when you arrived with the trailer, it's likely there was more than 1 quart left in the engine when you pulled off the road and shut down the engine. Trying to be optimistic!

Are there any diagnostics tests that can be done to confirm the engine truly OK? Compression test?
 
TINK_imp said:
Always OEM. For me, it's not worth the risk to use anything other than a genuine Honda oil filter.
I totally agree.

Also, I never thought a hex head filter was a necessity on these bikes, being that the filter is so easily accessed. Not looking to start a debate though...touchy subject haha....
 
Curly, a compression and a leakdown test could be done if desired.
 
Back
Top