Just wondering about "retro"

j3gq_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Why would the press go head over heels about "how retro" this
brand new JMC is ? I have a hard time to see any much retro
in it other than the round headlight, and round instruments.
Not saying she ain't nice, I like her power-to-weight ratio too,
but retro ?
Please let me know what you think !

[img=80x80]attachment=15045[/img]
 
Well there is a nod to the old Z650 and compared to a Versys 650 it is very retro. I saw this bike at the Motorcycle Show in Birmingham (UK) this November, I thought it looked well.
 
It looks good but I also would not call it retro. Aside from the rounded tank, gauges, headlight it looks pretty modern to me too.

I believe some even consider the Yamaha XSR900 a "retro" (I love that bike by the way) but I think the proper term for it was "Neo Retro"

The Z900RS really did look like the old ones when it came out a few years ago and i think that is the kind of power that our CBs should have been putting out.

Till this day I truly don't know why the CB1100 was Neutered from the factory when it was originally the first "sport bike" of its day. I see no reason why the CB couldn't make 100hp from the factory.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Its about as retro as you can possibly make a bike with modern restrictions in place. Air cooling just doesn't fly in the European market with the latest regulations. 17" wheels are almost a requirement for a street bike to be competitive in today's tire industry. The weight of modern bikes are just too light to be competitive using old school frames as well.

Basically, going forward, "retro" is generally going to mean one of two things: either a bike is inspired by or takes some aesthetic cues from 80s/90s bikes but is ultimately still a modern bike (like the z900rs), or it's a boutique showpiece that isn't intended to to realistically competitive (see Janus motorcycles for an example).
 
I think we've come to a time where if you say "retro" about anything at all the manufactures see $$$$. It's a "rose colored glasses" thing.
 
Tev62_imp said:
Well there is a nod to the old Z650 and compared to a Versys 650 it is very retro. I saw this bike at the Motorcycle Show in Birmingham (UK) this November, I thought it looked well.
The Kawasaki twin mill seems to be reliable at least.

Looks okay to me, but would feel like a Tic-Tac below my meat jacket butt.
 
Looks more retro than anything else I guess. Reminiscient of KZ 650/900
 
j3gq_imp said:
Why would the press go head over heels about "how retro" this
brand new JMC is ? I have a hard time to see any much retro
in it other than the round headlight, and round instruments.
Not saying she ain't nice, I like her power-to-weight ratio too,
but retro ?
Please let me know what you think !

[img=80x80]attachment=15045[/img]
I also have a hard time seeing a retro bike on this 650, not even the 4 cylinders of the original it has.
The Z900RS at least has 4 cylinders, a nice 4 in 1 exhaust and some silver on the engine
The best retro in my opinion is still the CB1100 with air cooling, chrome fenders, two rear shocks and other goodies.
I really don't like the Honda CB1100 RS version, with the black items, because it's a distortion of the '70s style.
 
Beto Rocco_imp said:
j3gq_imp said:
Why would the press go head over heels about "how retro" this
brand new JMC is ? I have a hard time to see any much retro
in it other than the round headlight, and round instruments.
Not saying she ain't nice, I like her power-to-weight ratio too,
but retro ?
Please let me know what you think !

[img=80x80]attachment=15045[/img]
I also have a hard time seeing a retro bike on this 650, not even the 4 cylinders of the original it has.
The Z900RS at least has 4 cylinders, a nice 4 in 1 exhaust and some silver on the engine
The best retro in my opinion is still the CB1100 with air cooling, chrome fenders, two rear shocks and other goodies.
I really don't like the Honda CB1100 RS version, with the black items, because it's a distortion of the '70s style.
I also have a hard time seeing a retro bike on this 650, not even the 4 cylinders of the original it has.
The Z900RS at least has 4 cylinders, a nice 4 in 1 exhaust and some silver on the engine
The best retro in my opinion is still the CB1100 with air cooling, chrome fenders, two rear shocks and other goodies.
I really don't like the Honda CB1100 RS version, with the black items, because it's a distortion of the '70s style.
Most Americans won't buy a "standard" model unless low price is an over-riding factor. Sedans are "sport", "premium", "luxury" or "near-luxury" sedans, station wagons are "crossovers", and work trucks are "sport utility".

Calling a bike standard is a curse. But add a few styling touches, and a "retro", "neo-classic", or "sport heritage" commands a premium. Look at BMW's R9T based models. Ka-ching!
 
These certainly aren’t “retro” — they’re the real deal. The CB1100 was the closest modern bike to pay authentic homage to these classic UJM’s. Most other bikes marketed as “retro’s” today are a far cry from the originals (and look a lot worse IMO).

47efa1ecca832fb7d18037983e7e890c.jpg


fccac06abb84a0ca51a2383c85d6e5cd.jpg


05a77bcf906fadd1dfc6afac2c967b71.jpg


dd7c59afc89fb102a9a8c4aa2c424ae3.jpg
 
LongRanger_imp said:
These certainly aren’t “retro” — they’re the real deal. The CB1100 was the closest modern bike to pay authentic homage to these classic UJM’s. Most other bikes marketed as “retro’s” today are a far cry from the originals (and look a lot worse IMO).

47efa1ecca832fb7d18037983e7e890c.jpg


fccac06abb84a0ca51a2383c85d6e5cd.jpg


05a77bcf906fadd1dfc6afac2c967b71.jpg


dd7c59afc89fb102a9a8c4aa2c424ae3.jpg
Mmm, yummy. I had the Yami Maxim 650. It was a very reliable, but unexciting workhorse. Still, I somewhat miss it.
 
The term "Retro" is quite liberally used these days.

My CB300R is termed "Neo Retro".

In modern parlance, I think Round Headlight = Retro
 
Modern bikes are built better than bikes of yore. But bike design has made very few improvements, the rantings of a cranky ol' man. :D

I've been looking at a new Goldwing (emphasis on looking) - the new generation of 'Wings just don't fit me as well as the old Wings. A shame.

I'd get a Royal Enfield 650, but the CB fills that niche so well - and it's paid for so...... darn.
 
OK, the Honda Hawk - retro or not? Not Neo retro anyway. Will be interesting to see if Honda go ahead and release this.

Honda really getting their act together with this 1100cc twin engine

 
I can picture a 60s Bond Girl riding that, shooting missiles at someone, so yes, Retro.

(I've been huffing acetone for the past hour doing a work painting project, so my mind is a little squiffy right now)
 
Seems the Africa Twin mill is versatile enough to squeeze into otherwise market corners they wouldn't have bothered.

Maybe this is buying Honda some time before they release the next big generational and technological experience.

Top performing machines continue to get specialized mills, while their reliable, fuel sipping mills proliferate local urban transport offerings.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I can picture a 60s Bond Girl riding that, shooting missiles at someone, so yes, Retro.

(I've been huffing acetone for the past hour doing a work painting project, so my mind is a little squiffy right now)
Great to see health and safety is a top priority in work! :D Don't be riding that bike home now :exclamation:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Seems the Africa Twin mill is versatile enough to squeeze into otherwise market corners they wouldn't have bothered.

Maybe this is buying Honda some time before they release the next big generational and technological experience.

Top performing machines continue to get specialized mills, while their reliable, fuel sipping mills proliferate local urban transport offerings.
I think Honda are playing a blinder with this very simple, low compression parallel twin, single overhead cam design engine, slotting it into multiple category bikes has worked well for them. It must in no small way contribute to the competitive price they put them out at. With Governments around the world restricting the ICE in the very near future who would pour money into brand new engine design for a single offering use?
 
Tev62_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
I can picture a 60s Bond Girl riding that, shooting missiles at someone, so yes, Retro.

(I've been huffing acetone for the past hour doing a work painting project, so my mind is a little squiffy right now)
Great to see health and safety is a top priority in work! :D Don't be riding that bike home now :exclamation:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Seems the Africa Twin mill is versatile enough to squeeze into otherwise market corners they wouldn't have bothered.

Maybe this is buying Honda some time before they release the next big generational and technological experience.

Top performing machines continue to get specialized mills, while their reliable, fuel sipping mills proliferate local urban transport offerings.
I think Honda are playing a blinder with this very simple, low compression parallel twin, single overhead cam design engine, slotting it into multiple category bikes has worked well for them. It must in no small way contribute to the competitive price they put them out at. With Governments around the world restricting the ICE in the very near future who would pour money into brand new engine design for a single offering use?
I would have to agree on that. For Honda, it might be a challenging roadmap ahead for gasoline powered mills, but their choice for now is a conservative business decision.
 
Back
Top