Just in case anyone is interested in what the inside of our starter looks like?

PowerDubs_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
f278b064c0c0f0d36b39fdb60eca5679.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
I bought a silver starter but decided I can do better.

So I’m going to strip and polish the front and center sections of my black one instead. Still going to keep the back section black as that lines up perfect with the polished side cover.

09e7b41fabcb41bd5d7da779adba4f94.jpg

3783ea4e5c94c3436ae8641a65bc1800.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thanks PD. When you removed the starter, does the case need to be removed so that the drive gear on the starter motor shaft can be properly realigned during reassembly?
 
Jeebus, M, that is catastrophic starter failure right there.

I'm interested in the starter polishing project and look forward to updates. I'm trying to picture how it's going to look.

The worst starter incident happened to myself due to distraction by too many other things. My old departed work van was stuck in a parking lot at Fontana Speedway. At the time, I was fixing things as fast as they came up. I knew it had a dodgy gear position indicator, so I wired up a bypass, still nothing. Also bypassed the neutral safety switch. By the time my phone was down to 20% battery after watching YouTube videos about doing both, it was getting too hot to keep working on it. Used the last of my battery to call for a tow, and on the long way back to the shop, thought about the one thing I didn't try... as soon as the tow truck dropped the van, I thumped the starter with a hammer. Of course, it started right up.
 
Thread starter
Geez Mark!!

Water intrusion?

Also wondering why the Phillips around the housing?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Jeebus, M, that is catastrophic starter failure right there.

I'm interested in the starter polishing project and look forward to updates. I'm trying to picture how it's going to look.

The worst starter incident happened to myself due to distraction by too many other things. My old departed work van was stuck in a parking lot at Fontana Speedway. At the time, I was fixing things as fast as they came up. I knew it had a dodgy gear position indicator, so I wired up a bypass, still nothing. Also bypassed the neutral safety switch. By the time my phone was down to 20% battery after watching YouTube videos about doing both, it was getting too hot to keep working on it. Used the last of my battery to call for a tow, and on the long way back to the shop, thought about the one thing I didn't try... as soon as the tow truck dropped the van, I thumped the starter with a hammer. Of course, it started right up.

Good enough… now to clear-coat, reassemble, install.

411118a813d00ccefff341d9a5d82869.jpg



7b24b29a79ddb17c60a328d5958cfdb8.jpg

572776ab9dec3d13527ec54b34bc808c.jpg

4326398df24c8072c26e865a694c9776.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Good enough for 5 feet away.

I don’t my bike to look like a flawless new bike:

I’m much happier with a decent looking bike people think is 40+ years old.

I actually enjoy when people that know something about motorcycles. Take a look at some of my stuff and the reaction is total confusion.

Buddy and I went out and as soon as we pulled the truck and trailer up to the riding spot, some guy walked by and did a double take at my dirt bike and said what WTF????

Excuse the dust, she has been living on my dyno for a bit while I make other mess in my garage.

2037b8098af05474f86e27210921f33c.jpg

19a5986e674ca5a5335d631b11c20b1f.jpg

b2beb9683d12e1f3411f6c786de0baef.jpg

9e42bec22aa1843c6ca0465023c3e681.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Note the pics above are - stock black, stock silver then my polished / black hybrid.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top