Just got back from Daytona

The Spaceman_imp said:
Air Charlie, are you the guy I met a couple tents over from the Honda place? Me and my pal were putting covers on our bikes inside the event area. I had the red Honda... :)
Yep, that was me. It was great to meet someone from the forum! It really is a small world. You don't see many of the cb 1100s in Iowa. I think I was looking at the 14 in the Honda tent when ride4now was taking pictures. Just didn't realize he was also a forum member. I took a couple of pics but they are cell phone pics. I will wait for ride4now to post some good quality pictures.
 
Hey guys... sorry I missed you Charlie. I spoke with 'someone' about the bike but didn't think to introduce myself as a member of this forum. Not really sure who he was. Spaceman, sorry I missed you too. I didn't see any red Honda's (that looked like yours...). I agree with some of what's already been said. The tank does have somewhat of a hump to it... I'm sure to hold the extra fuel. They could've gone wider with it, but that would hide the engine. I wish they would've kept the same tank, but oh well... not a big deal to me. The bike feels a bit bigger than my 13, not as compact. The riding position feels a bit more relaxed...my guess is the new seat does sit you up a bit higher. I'm 6ft. tall so that's welcome to me. The color is a bit brighter than on the 13 but is still nice. The pictures below we're taken in blazing sunlight so may not be the best representation of what you'll see in your garage or on a cloudy day. It's still very nice. I put the bike on the center stand...it felt heavier and harder to raise on the stand. Perhaps the softer ground was the problem. I thought I was going to lose it (I didn't) when I was doing it...that would've been embarrassing. I wrapped my hand around the header pipe... it feels 'thicker' than ours and looks to be double walled. The chrome look to those pipes is gorgeous. Enjoy the photos below. I'm happy with my decision to replace my 13... can't wait until next month. I'll post a few general bike week photos in the other bike section later.

Taken 'into the sun'... a bit dark but show the color nicely, not too bright.

77aba4b1eb927df584ac8aa65f8de637.jpg


502db49c6da11fce5e46eab9a0d02927.jpg


dfcb27fe7901df8a88b588a51f29b73f.jpg


Nice pipes...

28c94d33c7c678ee314a60f9cc1fa6fa.jpg


Yours truly...

01bd7cd80a2fb9931b9316587e582007.jpg


ec7336d63cddfdfc2c1e57eb91c98056.jpg


4dce8b85b9238b24b04265729cd0a05f.jpg


639c160d68a0be71ebec68307bf72bb4.jpg


6afd2ec5c5033fa4250cd2d16aab96f0.jpg











Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hey guys... sorry I missed you Charlie. I spoke with 'someone' about the bike but didn't think to introduce myself as a member of this forum. Not really sure who he was. Spaceman, sorry I missed you too. I didn't see any red Honda's (that looked like yours...). I agree with some of what's already been said. The tank does have somewhat of a hump to it... I'm sure to hold the extra fuel. They could've gone wider with it, but that would hide the engine. I wish they would've kept the same tank, but oh well... not a big deal to me. The bike feels a bit bigger than my 13, not as compact. The riding position feels a bit more relaxed...my guess is the new seat does sit you up a bit higher. I'm 6ft. tall so that's welcome to me. The color is a bit brighter than on the 13 but is still nice. The pictures below we're taken in blazing sunlight so may not be the best representation of what you'll see in your garage or on a cloudy day. It's still very nice. I put the bike on the center stand...it felt heavier and harder to raise on the stand. Perhaps the softer ground was the problem. I thought I was going to lose it (I didn't) when I was doing it...that would've been embarrassing. I wrapped my hand around the header pipe... it feels 'thicker' than ours and looks to be double walled. The chrome look to those pipes is gorgeous. Enjoy the photos below. I'm happy with my decision to replace my 13... can't wait until next month. I'll post a few general bike week photos in the other bike section later.

Here's some more...
adfce3dc4ac5fdaf8060bdfc666979f7.jpg


786ddaacf40b1a5c08926317c40d817a.jpg


0cb45c37fdeba7209146ade2c23ec74e.jpg


2de593dd3df20342ea84d1f16bffcc72.jpg


4fc63eb3b71be54cf5c3561195e16438.jpg


a7ffa3626ff335f9a61e02be45ed4072.jpg


9a3787b55dabda18008f6fe51291d79c.jpg


1ecd87dbb9caf67160c0a0d73cbd714e.jpg


482f1263cf08ac3f46c733e189e24f8d.jpg



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Oh jeez, now I'm sorry I traded my 13 in... NOT! lol

Beautiful motorcycle. Can't wait till mine comes in. Glad to hear it sets a little bigger. Even though I'm a small guy I always felt the 13 sat a little small for a liter bike. Don't mind the hump in the tank either. There will be a tank bag sitting up there, followed by my belly so I won't see it much of it lol. The header pipes look amazing in chrome. The wheel do look a little washed out but oh well.

What did you determine about your rear rack fitting?

Thanks for the pics!
 
Initially, I wouldn't have imagined an extra 1/2 gallon of capacity making all that much difference to the shape of the tank. On the other hand, if someone were to hand me a 1/2 gallon container full of clay and tasked me with adding it to the original tank design while trying to keep as much of the original style as possible, I could see where it would be a very challenging task.
 
It's a seriously good looking bike. I do like the symmetry of the 4 into 2.

Thanks for this pics, Ride4now.
 
Thanks for the pics. I was having trouble seeing the difference in the tank shape in Honda's PR photos. The angles you got make it much clearer.

It's got a bit more of a hump, but I think it still looks really sharp.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Oh jeez, now I'm sorry I traded my 13 in... NOT! lol

Beautiful motorcycle. Can't wait till mine comes in. Glad to hear it sets a little bigger. Even though I'm a small guy I always felt the 13 sat a little small for a liter bike. Don't mind the hump in the tank either. There will be a tank bag sitting up there, followed by my belly so I won't see it much of it lol. The header pipes look amazing in chrome. The wheel do look a little washed out but oh well.

What did you determine about your rear rack fitting?

Thanks for the pics!
There wasn't a 13 readily available to compare the two side by side... but the grab
handles don't angle up as I thought I'd seen in previous photos. The handles themselves look a bit different but I think the mounting is the same. I talked to a guy at the booth who said he thinks it'll fit but who knows. I'm not sure if he was from Honda or a local guy from the nearby dealer. We'll see...
 
R4n.....did you notice any density difference in the seat foam? I read someplace it's thicker and softer.
 
I'm guessing that you could mount the '13 rack to the '14 DLX. I'm also guessing that once mounted, the rack surface will sit at a bit of a different angle (tilted down a bit towards the back end) than on the '13 bikes.
 
Actually, the more I think about it, I could see where that could be problematic as there is very little clearance between the rack and the tail light assembly already. Tilt that rack down much further and there are bound to be issues.
 
The ferret_imp said:
R4n.....did you notice any density difference in the seat foam? I read someplace it's thicker and softer.
You know... I didn't pay much attention to the seat. I seem to think that it felt slightly softer and I did notice that the bike felt a bit taller with my feet on the ground. And as I said, the bike felt 'bigger' too. Not sure if that's the seat or the tank...
Guth_imp said:
Actually, the more I think about it, I could see where that could be problematic as there is very little clearance between the rack and the tail light assembly already. Tilt that rack down much further and there are bound to be issues.
We'll see on both counts. There 'may' be a like new rack for sale on the forum sometime next month... if I can figure out how to open a pay pal account.
 
Thanks for the pics, ride4now. Gives me something to drool over while I wait... and wait... and wait for delivery of my 2014 DLX . I agree with Guth the aluminum front sprocket cover is a huge improvement. And I don't think the new tank shape is a concern unless you own/owned a 2013. Wannabes like me have no basis of comparison, so will be blissful in our ignorance.
 
Back
Top