Just got back from Daytona

HondaJon_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I just got back from the speedway guys, all I can say is, Bike week is much smaller than in years past.....Here are a few points, high and low;

No KTM anything
No BMW anything
No Aprillia anything
No Ducati anything
No Triumph anything

No Honda Demos :@

Indian, Victory, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Can Am (Spyder) and Harley all have demo's set up. Get to what you want to ride early, they fill up fast!

Did the demo on the Indian, I'll say it is OK, and just OK. It falls somewhere in between a Harley and a metric cruiser.. Heavy bike, clunky trans. $18K - $22k is too much for OK....

Yamaha FZ9 is a blast, try it! :D

Saw and sat on the new Valkyrie and it is kick ass. Just feels right when you sit on it. Reminded me of the Rune......WANTED TO RIDE IT BAD.

Yamaha has a cool new retro, the SR 400 and it even has a kick starter! It was only on display and you couldn't demo ride it. :(

I want a Grom as a toy. First one I have ever seen. For $3K, you can't go wrong.

Don't kill me on this one guys. I saw the 2014 CB 1100 deluxe as well. I am glad I got a 2013. In my opinion, it has gone a little too silver. Silver wheels and all silver engine are a bit much for me. I like the "Sport" feel the black gives the 2013. The red is also different, not bad looking, but the Candy Glory just works...

I didn't got down to the beach, only the track.
 
Sounds great! Only went to Bike Week once, as part of American Honda's Vintage Racing team, so I missed all the displays and exhibits.

The SR400 looks like a great bike; kick start only! Might need to clear a spot for that one in the garage.

The Grom IS a toy, keep that in mind...
 
Aside from Triumph, I haven't seen any of the manufacturers you mentioned doing demos for years, if at all. Ducati had a big area along Thunder Alley about 4-5 years ago with events and a limited demo opportunity, but the other guys, even Honda, didn't. But you can ride Harleys and Kawis and Suzooks and Vics and even Boss Hogs till your ass hurts if you really want to. You didn't ride up and down Main Street? GASP! Hang your head in shame.

Did Honda have the new CBX thingy with the ST1100 engine on display?
 
Thread starter
Space,

They had both CTX things. I really don't care for their styling.....

As for my listed manufactures, they were not there at all, in any form, never mind a demo ride...
 
HondaJon_imp said:
I just got back from the speedway guys, all I can say is, Bike week is much smaller than in years past.....Here are a few points, high and low;

No KTM anything
No BMW anything
No Aprillia anything
No Ducati anything
No Triumph anything

No Honda Demos :@

Indian, Victory, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Can Am (Spyder) and Harley all have demo's set up. Get to what you want to ride early, they fill up fast!

Did the demo on the Indian, I'll say it is OK, and just OK. It falls somewhere in between a Harley and a metric cruiser.. Heavy bike, clunky trans. $18K - $22k is too much for OK....

Yamaha FZ9 is a blast, try it! :D

Saw and sat on the new Valkyrie and it is kick ass. Just feels right when you sit on it. Reminded me of the Rune......WANTED TO RIDE IT BAD.

Yamaha has a cool new retro, the SR 400 and it even has a kick starter! It was only on display and you couldn't demo ride it. :(

I want a Grom as a toy. First one I have ever seen. For $3K, you can't go wrong.

Don't kill me on this one guys. I saw the 2014 CB 1100 deluxe as well. I am glad I got a 2013. In my opinion, it has gone a little too silver. Silver wheels and all silver engine are a bit much for me. I like the "Sport" feel the black gives the 2013. The red is also different, not bad looking, but the Candy Glory just works...

I didn't got down to the beach, only the track.
No pictures????
I heard they moved most of the demos to the back of the speedway due to construction in the front. Correct? Did you get any photos of the new CB? Did you sit on it? Does it feel the same? I'm going Thursday... and am looking forward to it.
 
Someone take a pic of the new CB that really shows the color. Hondajon how would you describe it darker? Deeper? Not as brilliant?
 
If someone doesn't get any shots sooner... I plan on taking ALOT Thursday and will post them Friday. I'm also going to try and get a feel if the frame was changed where the luggage rack attaches... I just can't see why there'd be a difference there between the 13 and the 14. I think (hope) what we've seen as a difference is just an optical illusion.
 
ride4now_imp said:
If someone doesn't get any shots sooner... I plan on taking ALOT Thursday and will post them Friday. I'm also going to try and get a feel if the frame was changed where the luggage rack attaches... I just can't see why there'd be a difference there between the 13 and the 14. I think (hope) what we've seen as a difference is just an optical illusion.
If you look at the pictures of the DLX and the Standard models, you can clearly see a number of differences in this area. The angle of the grab handles is more pronounced on the Standard, just like on the 2013 model. The handles on the DLX don't tilt as much. You can also see this reflected in the seat designs. The bottom of the seat on the Standard model somewhat "curves around" the top shock eyelet, and then angles upward towards the back, parallel with the line of the grab handle. The bottom of the seat on the DLX still curves upward towards the back but is more flat looking overall and does not wrap around the shock eyelet. The back of the seat on the DLX is thicker than on the Standard model (and the 2013 model). There are bound to be some frame changes (not to mention seat pan changes) to accommodate these differences.
 
Thread starter
Apologies for the lack of photos guys, my cell phone took a crap while I was there. :@

All the demo's except for Harley are on the back of the speedway. Get there around 0830 and make a B line to what you want to ride...Stuff fills up quick

They run a tram from the back that will take you to the vendor area, this is where the Honda tent is. The Yamaha SR 400 is also in the vendor area.

As for the CB;

Ferret, the red is really close to the 2013, but it lacks the "Candy Flake" shine. It is "dull" for lack of a better term.

The handlebar switches are different than on the 2013. The reservoir caps and bar ends are silver.

The gauges looked like they have a black, not green, background. The faces are also different.

It seemed to feel the same when I sat on it and the frame looks the same to me. The seat was not as nice looking as I would have hoped.

They didn't have a "Black Style" version at the display.
 
ride4now_imp said:
Uh oh... I'm getting nervous... It's a big purchase to make sight 'unseen'.

Have faith little brother, things will be fine. The demo is probably dull from being petted so many times.

 
Thread starter
Don't take me the wrong way guys, she is still a good looking machine. As for the color, maybe dull was not the right word.

The Candy Glory Red just pops, the new red is still nice, it just lacks that fine metal flake that is in the Candy Red.

I also looked underneath at the center stand and didn't notice a great big CAT. They may be in the mufflers, which is nice and easily changed :D
 
Refresher inspiration for Ride4now

 
Hondajon... no problem. Whatever CB we like...it's still a CB.
Ferrett... I feel better. I've never seen that video...it was terrific. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to Daytona tomorrow... I'll take a bunch of pictures. I'm even taking the good camera to make sure to do that beautiful machine justice!
I'll post them Friday or Saturday.
 
I just left the Honda tent after checking out the new CB. Love the new headers and dual pipes. The new seat is gorgeous. The silver engine and wheels look plain to me...I prefer the 13's.

I think Honda should offer 13 owners the new exhaust at cost or heavily discounted to make up for the PITA the current headers are.
Oh yeah, o met another forum member! His name is Charlie..nice to meet you!
 
Spaceman... I was there at about the same time today. If you saw
someone taking ALOT of pictures... that was me. The bike is georgous!!
It has a slightly different feel to it than the 13... feeling a
bit bigger and slightly higher in the seat. I like that. Since I took he shots
with an SLR I can't post them until I get back. I'll do that tomorrow
or Saturday. Now... back to my beer. Here's to the new Deluxe!!
 
Here here :beerchug: feel better now ride4now? Can't wait to see the pics!

Glad you guys are liking what you see. :thumbsup:
 
I was lucky enough to make it to Daytona this afternoon. I haven't been to a bike week in several years. I would have to echo previous comments that I think the 13 looks better. That said the 14 was drawing a lot of attention and still an amazing looking bike. The bike was in the sunlight when I saw it. The color might be slightly different but still has a metallic shine under sunlight.

Like most I really liked the dual pipes. I also like the new style of the seat and the matching side covers. I didnt really care for the big tank, the all silver engine and wheels. The tank looks really tall where it meets the seat, gives it kind of a hump backed look. I could live with the silver engine but the all silver wheels look plain. It's a shame they didn't go with the spoke wheels shown in early pics.

It is still a sweet looking bike. For those with deposits down, I don't think you will be dissapointed. I wish I could magically transplant the pipes and 6th gear onto my 13!
 
air charlie_imp said:
I was lucky enough to make it to Daytona this afternoon. I haven't been to a bike week in several years. I would have to echo previous comments that I think the 13 looks better. That said the 14 was drawing a lot of attention and still an amazing looking bike. The bike was in the sunlight when I saw it. The color might be slightly different but still has a metallic shine under sunlight.

Like most I really liked the dual pipes. I also like the new style of the seat and the matching side covers. I didnt really care for the big tank, the all silver engine and wheels. The tank looks really tall where it meets the seat, gives it kind of a hump backed look. I could live with the silver engine but the all silver wheels look plain. It's a shame they didn't go with the spoke wheels shown in early pics.

It is still a sweet looking bike. For those with deposits down, I don't think you will be dissapointed. I wish I could magically transplant the pipes and 6th gear onto my 13!
Man, I'm glad they didn't offer spokes on the 2014, ( Saved me a bunch of $$$) If they had offered spokes I would have to have one.
 
Air Charlie, are you the guy I met a couple tents over from the Honda place? Me and my pal were putting covers on our bikes inside the event area. I had the red Honda... :)
 
Back
Top