Journey from the past

peterbaron

Road warrior
Thread starter
During my early 20s times, in mid 70s, I assembled my own 250cc bike out of a few....
That bike had a kick start only, points type ignition and a generator-rectifier-voltage regulator as far as a 12V charging system is concerned.
I took the voltage regulator to an auto electrical shop for a pre-adjustment and the old mechanic told me to bring my bike back for a final-live set up to prevent the battery from overcharging...
At that time, I did not think much about his wise advice as we were already late for our 4K kms long distance round trip through few European countries.
Suddenly, on our/wt pillion way back home my bike died.....checked a few electrics and I noticed that the battery had no acid due to a "melted" hole in it = overcharging..
We got stuck 1500 kms away from home in a foreign country with very limited cash (no credit cards or cells at that times).....
I got the bike bump started but every time I turned on any loads like the stop light or horn, the bike died again....not thinking much and with no clue from where this idea came, I joined 2 or 3 battery cells by a wire that we have with us as one of "spare parts".

There were a few another issues .....with the carburetor falling off, due to improper, not gas resistant, rubber connection used between the carburetor and the cylinder, stolen emblems from my bike, running out of gas, almost falling off a cliff, flat tire experience......interaction at a gas station with a Russian citizen about a pair of Wrangler jeans, hotel stay and night re-entry, free ride an a police Russian Ural bike .....and the USSR border crossing with a 3 hr interrogation....I could write a longer essay about this trip..

Finally, we successfully and safely continued our ride home.
Here is the map of our trip:

Google Maps
 
I got nothing like that one! Rode a few pizza delivery bikes in Mexico... CG125s, but I'd like to do more exotic riding sometime during my lifetime!
 
Finally got the map to display. Quite the trip to make on a 250 cc, home assembled bike. Feel free to tell more detailed tales from the trip, Peter.
 
Great story, Peter. Thank you for sharing it with us. Only with the optimism of youth do we have such great adventures.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Finally got the map to display. Quite the trip to make on a 250 cc, home assembled bike. Feel free to tell more detailed tales from the trip, Peter.
... maybe scratch up some digital scans of some old Kodak moments?
 
From the past! OK, here we go. I've always liked bikes. I can remember ordering a Triumph catalog by mail when I was about 12 years old. I pored over it until it fell apart, but there was no way I could come up with any kind of motorized cycle. Drafted in 1968, I managed to avoid Viet Nam. I'm in Thailand, stationed on a U.S. Army tugboat in 1969. A new guy shows up, and like me he's an engineer and we both work in the engine room. We become good friends, and the talk turns to bikes. He rides! So does his whole family. His Dad has an older Triumph and a Road King. He asks me if I ride, and I say, Oh a little, not much. Then one day, we find out that it is possible to rent a bike at the sleepy little seaside resort of Pattaya, just a few klicks up the coast road. At the next payday, he's chomping at the bit, let's go, c'mon. At the vendor kiosk on the beach road we check out the row of pretty new Honda 350's. We pick two, and I'm crapping bricks. I don't know how to ride. How am I going to get out of this? My buddy puts on the mandatory helmet, starts it up, clicks it into first, and zoom, he's out of there. I get aboard mine, helmet on, and the vendor can tell this is not going right. He comes over, and like most of the service people around, can speak enough English to do business. He can tell I don't have a clue, and he gives me a quick lesson is how to ride this thing. OK, into first, clutch out, go a little ways, stop, do it again. Then go again, shift into second, and hey, I'm riding. I click it into third and fourth, and I'm headed down the road. A few klicks, and I see my buddy stopped by the side of the road. I pull up, and he shouts out some exclamation of glee, and zoom, he's out of there again. After that, we'd rent bikes for a day almost every month. Fast forwad, I'm still in the army, but in Virginia.My buddy has got out and lives in Michigan. I have my car there, and I leave VA and head to MI, where we meet up. He lives in his childhood home, a small farm near Owasso, MI. I stayed there for three weeks, and during that time he and I rode all over the local place, he on his Dad's Triumph, me on his new Triumph Bonnie. I also went with him and his whole family on a vacation ride around Lake Superior, both of us two-up on his Bonnie switching up driver/pillion. Took nine days to get around the lake, camping every night in a KOA campground. I am still in contact with my buddy, and several years ago, he came out to visit me when I lived in California. I took him sailing to Catalina Island and to Ensenada, Mexico on a six-day jaunt.
 
Good story, Charlie. Thanks.
 
Thread starter
You really grabbed me by my throat...have to dig in my basement boxes ...and then do some write up, long and slow process :s
If any pics left or found it will be a few of a ready bike, unfortunately no pics were taken during building this bike.
 
Charlie Bravo, I enjoyed your post and a small part of it reminded me of something from my past, but not to do with motorcycles - just with cheating death. When I was 19, the Air Force saw fit to send me to Thule Air Base, Greenland. Arriving in August, I got to experience the Arctic winter in all it's glory before the first Coast Guard ice-breaker ships started opening up the channels for our re-supply ships. That was when I learned the Army has a navy. The tug-boats that guided the supply ships in were Army tugs run by soldiers, who were sailors. Wrap your head around that, twenty-year-old Airman! One day our commander announced that the tug boats were taking tours for base personnel and I jumped at the chance. It was a great ride, and we got to see many wonders, but best of all was when the captain, an Army Warrant Officer, asked if we wanted to walk on an iceberg. He pulled the tug up to a huge iceberg floating in the Arctic Ocean and put a ladder against it. Up the ladder we went and walking around the iceberg. It is hard for me to believe now, but we didn't have any kind of special foot wear, like cramp-ons, to keep us from slipping and, if we'd slipped into the ocean, we'd probably have been dead before they could fish us out. We were wearing hard-sole smooth bottom boots and no one slipped. Any way, we strolled around the iceberg awhile, then back to the tug and to the dock. And, in case anyone has any heart-burn about boys having all the fun, the only women on Thule at that time were the female nurses from the hospital, and several walked on the iceberg that day.
Walking on an iceberg floating free in the Arctic Ocean is one of the highlights of my life, thanks to the US Army's Navy. And Charlie Bravo, it is nice to meet one of those special soldiers who were sailors, again.
 
Back
Top