JIS screw drivers

Ridem32_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
If you do your own work on jap bikes it's best to have a set of JIS .(Japanese Industrial Standard) if you notice that when we use USA type screw drivers they tend to cam out! ( slip) strip out the head snap on Mac craftsman ace all brands are made to cam out! The JIS want strip or can out. Trust me you can tell a big difference with these screw drivers. I just got a set about a year ago. I got the #1 #2 #3 Phillips work great you can buy them on eBay, amazon etc. Goggle them and read why the USA screwdriver is made to cam out ! Japs win hands down! Hope this helps some one.
Michael
 
Ridem32_imp said:
If you do your own work on jap bikes it's best to have a set of JIS .(Japanese Industrial Standard) if you notice that when we use USA type screw drivers they tend to cam out! ( slip) strip out the head snap on Mac craftsman ace all brands are made to cam out! The JIS want strip or can out. Trust me you can tell a big difference with these screw drivers. I just got a set about a year ago. I got the #1 #2 #3 Phillips work great you can buy them on eBay, amazon etc. Goggle them and read why the USA screwdriver is made to cam out ! Japs win hands down! Hope this helps some one.
Michael
If you are desperate you can grind the point down on a Phillips screw. Not perfect but a lot better.
 
Thread starter
The JIS is the way to go. I'm restoring a. 79 cbx and have a. 78 750 not one single screw has stripped with the JIS screwdrivers. I could not believe the difference in JIS & USA till I got a set.
Michael
 
I have been using JIS screw drivers for years and think that you really need them to work on Japanese bikes.
McMaster has nice ones for a fair price.
I have not been able to find # 4 yet but probably never need one any way
 
I got a set when I bought the bike. They work great!
 
Thread starter
They have the vessel sets on eBay and I just orderd the one you hit with a hammer the impact type I got it from eBay also vessel is a good brand with good grip handles
Michael
 
Thread starter
Thumper: people that have never used the JIS screwdrivers just don't know how good they are! Just look around at the jap bikes with striped screw heads.
Michael
 
Ridem32_imp said:
Thumper: people that have never used the JIS screwdrivers just don't know how good they are! Just look around at the jap bikes with striped screw heads.
Michael
I'm as guilty as the rest--I didn't discover JIS screwdrivers until about 2 years ago!

Please, if you have a Japanese motorcycle, and do any sort of work removing fasteners on your bike, please put a set of JIS screwdrivers in your toolbox.

Like Michael said, once you put a JIS tool to your Japanese fasteners, you'll understand what you've been missing.

Cheers all! :beerchug:
 
I wonder if the two-piece screwdriver in the plastic tool pouch in the tool compartment under my seat has a JIS tip, and if so, which number?

Self-answer: appears to be JIS, yes. But still not sure what size it is.

The hex wrench is 5mm, which fits the side cover fasteners, the fasteners holding on the front fender and front brake-line stays and some of the bolts in the front calipers, though I'm sure the shortness of the supplied hex wrench would prevent it being useful for anything except removing the side covers.

 
Yes, the screwdriver in the kit is JIS.

Amazon has a decent set for $40: Amazon.com

Size 00, 0, 1, and 2, as well as an extra long 2 (good for removing the screws that hold my seat down on the CBR).
 
Thread starter
The screwdriver in the tool kit does not have a good handle to grip for tight screws. But on the road better than nothing lol. I have several pairs of honda motor pliers from the 60, s when the tool pouch had tools in it. :)
 
Here is another good set from amazon. Personally the yard stick one I will pass on. Okay maybe not yard sick size but that one was pretty long.

This set is $27.10!

Hozan Hozan JIS-4 JIS Screwdriver Set (3rd Gen) - Amazon.com

4512b0abde044fcbc81e4d3d58170e37.jpg


Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
I have been fighting with the screws on carb tops and bowls for 40 years when jetting my japanese bikes, never knew the screws were not phillips.Once I finally got them out I replaced them with little tiny allen screws.Like the ferret says DANG! :huh:
 
Back
Top