Jet Hot

Retsel_imp

Been there
Thread starter
So, I anticipated some downtime and decided it was a good time to get my headers, for my 2014 Standard, Jet Hot Coated. The brown color of the stainless pipes just didn't match the black and chrome theme of the standard.

I actually contacted Jet Hot back in February, 2017. I received a quote but the turn time was 21 work days so, I held off shipping them my headers. They did let me know they could do an 8 day expedite for an additional $100. The original quote was $265. I decided to wait. Oh, the quote was good for a year.

In June the turn time had dropped to 7 to 10 days so, I pulled the trigger and shipped them out, from California to Oklahoma, on June 19th.

UPS delivered them to Jet Hot on June 23rd.

They do not ask for billing information until the work is complete and they are ready to go.

I received the call for a CC number on July 6th.

They shipped back to me on July 7th.

I received them on July 13th.

Photos below.
532d88be5a29d1fb2339cb8869542c39.jpg
57b729f72a281a3482cc61cda8a7731c.jpg
417a63c35ccef0769a2cd465fa606020.jpg
5746ba0ae36f0adba41c5a9548017ca7.jpg
aae10953781175078ca932977b0a1df9.jpg



The photo of the headers prior to installation includes the 4 crush gaskets and the rubber washer that holds the shield on the muffler. The original washer had fallen apart when I pulled it off.

If anyone knows the trick for holding the crush gaskets in place, while installing, please let me know. That was really the hardest part of the whole process.

I had to make the tool for removing the oxygen sensor. I just used my angle grinder and cut a slot in a 17mm socket.
ffedc8c9d49c1d53acc93ce60ca3e466.jpg




Overall I am very happy with the service and results. The color is closer to a polished aluminum than chrome, I am good with that. There are minor flaws in the finish. Just have to realize it is a paint coating so any physical flaws in the original surface can be seen. I am okay with this as well.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
wow those look really good. Daggone Honda should have double walled chromed them in the first place imo
 
Retsel_imp said:
So, I anticipated some downtime and decided it was a good time to get my headers, for my 2014 Standard, Jet Hot Coated. The brown color of the stainless pipes just didn't match the black and chrome theme of the standard.

I actually contacted Jet Hot back in February, 2017. I received a quote but the turn time was 21 work days so, I held off shipping them my headers. They did let me know they could do an 8 day expedite for an additional $100. The original quote was $265. I decided to wait. Oh, the quote was good for a year.

In June the turn time had dropped to 7 to 10 days so, I pulled the trigger and shipped them out, from California to Oklahoma, on June 19th.

UPS delivered them to Jet Hot on June 23rd.

They do not ask for billing information until the work is complete and they are ready to go.

I received the call for a CC number on July 6th.

They shipped back to me on July 7th.

I received them on July 13th.

Photos below.
532d88be5a29d1fb2339cb8869542c39.jpg
57b729f72a281a3482cc61cda8a7731c.jpg
417a63c35ccef0769a2cd465fa606020.jpg
5746ba0ae36f0adba41c5a9548017ca7.jpg
aae10953781175078ca932977b0a1df9.jpg



The photo of the headers prior to installation includes the 4 crush gaskets and the rubber washer that holds the shield on the muffler. The original washer had fallen apart when I pulled it off.

If anyone knows the trick for holding the crush gaskets in place, while installing, please let me know. That was really the hardest part of the whole process.

I had to make the tool for removing the oxygen sensor. I just used my angle grinder and cut a slot in a 17mm socket.
ffedc8c9d49c1d53acc93ce60ca3e466.jpg




Overall I am very happy with the service and results. The color is closer to a polished aluminum than chrome, I am good with that. There are minor flaws in the finish. Just have to realize it is a paint coating so any physical flaws in the original surface can be seen. I am okay with this as well.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Looks so much better.
 
Yes! They look excellent, Retsel.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
wow those look really good. Daggone Honda should have double walled chromed them in the first place imo
I agree on both! Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Cormanus_imp said:
Yes! They look excellent, Retsel.
Thanks Cormanus!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
suhawk305_imp said:
Retzel. Thanks for the report and photos. I may send Jet Hot my header this winter.
I forgot to mention that I got an excellent bump in horsepower as well as torque! I think about twice what I got from the RLETS, and no secret handshake required! What a deal?


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Retsel_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
wow those look really good. Daggone Honda should have double walled chromed them in the first place imo
I agree on both! Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Cormanus_imp said:
Yes! They look excellent, Retsel.
Thanks Cormanus!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
suhawk305_imp said:
Retzel. Thanks for the report and photos. I may send Jet Hot my header this winter.
I forgot to mention that I got an excellent bump in horsepower as well as torque! I think about twice what I got from the RLETS, and no secret handshake required! What a deal?


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

:rofl:
 
Thread starter
I'd still like to know the trick for holding the "crush" exhaust gaskets in place during installation? I'm sure, at some point, I'll have to do it again. I actually had to use masking tape and getting it back out, once the headers were close, was a challenge. All I can see to do is lift the front of the bike, high enough, so gravity will hold them. As they normally lean forward that would be a pretty high angle to get there. I know several posters have pulled their headers. Did anyone replace the gaskets? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
ChipBeck is likely to know. I think he was the first to go the Jet Hot route.
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
Haven't done it yet- but I'd imagine a simple spot of rtv or grease.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The exhaust sealer RTV is only rated for 800 degrees F. I wonder what happens at 1200 degrees? Maybe a non-issue but I was hesitant to try it. Grease may have been a better choice. Just didn't think of it.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Wow, retsel. Those do look good, indeed. Was the shipping on top of that $265? Hope I bump into you on the road or at Alice's sometime. Would love to see them in person. I have studied Chip's photos carefully, too. Great job.
 
It is easy to keep the crush washers in place with thick grease, this will burn of.
I used this trick MANY times on my Honda CBX,s and it works very well.
 
Thread starter
Rolls_imp said:
Wow, retsel. Those do look good, indeed. Was the shipping on top of that $265? Hope I bump into you on the road or at Alice's sometime. Would love to see them in person. I have studied Chip's photos carefully, too. Great job.
The $265 quote included UPS gnd freight return. That was just a quote. The actual total cost was $274. The freight getting it to them was $80, UPS gnd.

Actually, I have a friend with a Hayabusa, that I ride with out in the La Honda curves. We usually end up there, or at Buck's, or Duarte's in Pescadero. Maybe we can hookup for a ride?

I was a fan of Chip's photos as well. They convinced me that Jet Hot was the way from go.




Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Houtman_imp said:
It is easy to keep the crush washers in place with thick grease, this will burn of.
I used this trick MANY times on my Honda CBX,s and it works very well.
As I said, didn't think of that. Probably better burning off petroleum grease than the masking tape I probably left behind.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Looks great..

Can you please share the exact coating code you requested Jet Hot to coat with ?

Coating Example : Jet hot Extreme 1300
Coating Color : 0100 Polish or 0120 Satin

Thanks..
 
Cormanus_imp said:
ChipBeck is likely to know. I think he was the first to go the Jet Hot route.
Gentlemen,

I used new crush washers and I don't remember having any trouble keeping them in but I don't remember exactly what I did. What I can tell you is that my headers are as bright and new looking today as when I first put them back on. This is a GREAT mod to make a CB1100 look better.

Chip
 
My Jet-Hot coated header pipes arrived today despite the icy rain today. I am very happy with the results! Cost me $192 for the "Polish" coating of the 4 pipes and the catalytic converter, same of the quoted price. I don't intend of making any other modifications to my CB1100, it is the way I want it...I have old school tastes.

2e3a3f0d1ea702a97f556b585b679554.jpg


The only downside of this experience is with the independently owned UPS Store. I brought the pipes to them, which were carefully packed by my Honda dealer, and the UPS store refused to insure my pipes unless they pack them in their box. They quoted me $164 to insure and ship. I had no idea what to expect with the shipping cost, so I let them do it. I wish I read this thread beforehand.
Right now, I have my shinny pipes next to the Christmas tree. The pipes will stay there until my wife discovers them and make me to take them out to the garage!
 
Back
Top