It's over for another year

Rocky_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
The summer flies by all too quickly and here it is 1 November already and my riding season is done for this year. Some of my friends keep a bike serviced in case there is the occasional mild day to ride in November, but for me it's not worth the bother. I would rather service the bike for storage and get in one last ride while it's still fairly mild - if 8-9C (46-48F) is considered mild :D
Yesterday, I took the CB out for a run to warm the oil before changing it and rolled it inside for the winter where it will reside in my warm and dry basement.
Every time I think back over the summer and the rides I had on this great bike I have to smile with satisfaction.
So, until next April, I'll just be hanging around here and keeping up with all of you.
 
The riding season is ending for you fellows in the northern climes while the season in the south is just getting started. Summer days can be so hot and humid here that I do little riding from late June to end of August. Hope your winter days are pleasant ones and next years riding season starts early.
 
Live vicariuosly thru the ride reports Rocky

Nov 1 33 degrees and snowing out, I'm getting ready to go for a ride! It's only cold rain Lol
 
Putting mine up next week as soon as the weather go up high enough to work in the garage again. 22 degrees this morning.
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
The riding season is ending for you fellows in the northern climes while the season in the south is just getting started. Summer days can be so hot and humid here that I do little riding from late June to end of August. Hope your winter days are pleasant ones and next years riding season starts early.
Thanks redbirds, that's my hope too.
Over the last decade our winters seemed to gradually become shorter, start later and not be as brutally cold in January and February. Serious winter didn't really start until January and a white Christmas almost never happened here where I am on the Atlantic coast.
That all changed last year. Winter arrived in November and stayed. It was cold and wet well into Spring. It was the type of weather that drove you crazy; cold for a few days; mild for a few days; repeat.
We're all hoping that this will not be repeated this winter, but it is what it is and you have to take whatever you're given by Mother Nature.
But I can't complain about this past summer. Not as wet as summers past and great riding weather right into October.
The ferret_imp said:
Live vicariuosly thru the ride reports Rocky

Nov 1 33 degrees and snowing out, I'm getting ready to go for a ride! It's only cold rain Lol
Yes, that's what I'll have to do and be envious of those in milder climates :D
33? Snowing? Ride?
You were kidding weren't you? If not, have fun :excited:
 
redbirds_imp said:
The riding season is ending for you fellows in the northern climes while the season in the south is just getting started. Summer days can be so hot and humid here that I do little riding from late June to end of August. Hope your winter days are pleasant ones and next years riding season starts early.
It is funny to see everyone putting their bikes away just as it begins to get pleasant here on the Texas Gulf Coast.
 
Rocky_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
The riding season is ending for you fellows in the northern climes while the season in the south is just getting started. Summer days can be so hot and humid here that I do little riding from late June to end of August. Hope your winter days are pleasant ones and next years riding season starts early.
Thanks redbirds, that's my hope too.
Over the last decade our winters seemed to gradually become shorter, start later and not be as brutally cold in January and February. Serious winter didn't really start until January and a white Christmas almost never happened here where I am on the Atlantic coast.
That all changed last year. Winter arrived in November and stayed. It was cold and wet well into Spring. It was the type of weather that drove you crazy; cold for a few days; mild for a few days; repeat.
We're all hoping that this will not be repeated this winter, but it is what it is and you have to take whatever you're given by Mother Nature.
But I can't complain about this past summer. Not as wet as summers past and great riding weather right into October.
The ferret_imp said:
Live vicariuosly thru the ride reports Rocky

Nov 1 33 degrees and snowing out, I'm getting ready to go for a ride! It's only cold rain Lol
Yes, that's what I'll have to do and be envious of those in milder climates :D
33? Snowing? Ride?
You were kidding weren't you? If not, have fun :excited:
Yes, that's what I'll have to do and be envious of those in milder climates :D
33? Snowing? Ride?
You were kidding weren't you? If not, have fun :excited:
Lol no wasn't kidding. Got in a pleasant 55 mile ride today. Would have stayed out longer but have a birthday party for my grandaughter have to leave for in about an hour.

Saw 1 other bike out, guy on a Honda or Yamaha cruiser. He wasn't wearing a helmet. Dang, he must be tough!
 
Your story is the exact reason why I left upstate NY (where I was born and lived for 26 years) and moved to San Diego Ca. 30 years ago.
 
I sometimes wonder what would be better - being able to ride all year long but not having the drastic changes in season which I can see the allure of, or, having to store my bike for months but enjoying the arrival of each riding season. I imagine the build up and excitement is fantastic and the feeling really special when the day finally comes each year to roll the bike out, fire it up and take that first ride of the season.

Still, I'll stick with my 365-day riding season! I suppose those of us in the southwest will pick up the ride report slack over the next few months. That, and our brothers and sisters in Australia who are well represented here.
 
According to Aerostitch it is conceivable to ride 309 out of 365 days in SW Ohio. This year I have ridden 190 days with 60 days yet to go. I could have ridden 9 more days except I was out of town to a wedding in Michigan for 3 days and flew to Nevada with my wife for 7 days (borrowed a bike from my nephew and rode 1 of those days) but Jan and Feb were brutal this past winter and I only got to ride 3 days out of 59 during those two months, and 8 out of 31 in March. Lousy start this year.

I am envious of those who get to ride 365 days, but from my trip to Cali this year I know I could not live where it gets that hot or has that many people, and that much traffic.
 
My CB began her winter hibernation on Thursday morning (along with my old KZ and my wife's Metropolitan). The snow is gonna be falling any day here in MN and once it starts, there's no chance of going for a ride until next March or April. Heck, even driving a car around here is a challenge for most of the winter.

I'll see you on the other side...

-Brian
 
Snow! What is Snow?:huh: Just kidden will ride here off and on up to January. Some days not to bad, some days are down right Cold.:(
Arkansas.
 
Definitely a sign of the times. I used to
ride my vfr even when it was snowing, with few catches on the
ice, when it would try to slip out from under me.

But I still have my heated shirt and gloves, so I'm going to see
if I can put in a few more rides.

Happy dreams to all you sleeping CB 1100's

mike
 
It's time. Prepped it, changed oil. etc. - rain mixed with snow the rest of the week
[/img]
Pushed it into the corner and covered it up.
[/img]
 
Boy that is hard to look at CA. Sad sad sad

just got in from a 38 mile ride. Meeting a buddy in Nelsonville Ohio for lunch tomorrow. About 3 hours away 1 way. Will be riding the ST though better wind protection. probably pretty nippy when I have to take off in the morning shortly after dawn.
 
I miss the snow (but not the shoveling). Winter sports are just as enjoyable as summer ones with the added benefit of no bugs!

But as pointed out earlier; our prime riding season has just started. No more riding in the slip stream of a hair drier set on high. Time to actually enjoy what you folks have been doing all summer. And just maybe, the cool evening will kill of the mosquitoes the summer monsoon brought.
 
Winter is pretty much here in WI also and the CB is likely done for the season. The KTM Adv, with all the heated luxuries, will hopefully make some appearances yet this fall, and maybe even some winter runs if we hit 40 between now and April. The CB does have a prized location to watch winter pass however. It's parked in my living room to be kept warm and admired while watching Velocity TV or watching "Storiesofbikes" on line. Heck, I don't even let some of my relatives come into living room to keep warm and watch TV!!!
The concept of riding year round of course, sounds wonderful, but I think a break in the riding, and doing other "bike related, but not riding" activities really reinvigorates the riding soul, and gets it prepped and excited for the next season. It's a great time to plan the next big ride!!!!
 
Back
Top