Its a crap shoot with this Bike

Thread starter
Maz,

Welcome to the forum, tough first post. Have you changed your tires and had them re-balanced recently??? If not check both front and rear to make sure you have not lost any weights. Pull the clutch in at the worst point of vibration and see if you feel anything. If its coming only through the bars chances are its in the front end. Get a shop manual and loosen up the front end let it relax and tighten everything up to spec.
Good Luck
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I don't want to be argumentative, but I would hardly characterize this vibration issue as "normall" or that "so many" people are experiencing it. I hope you find the source of your issue, Maz. The link Ferret posted does have lots of good info. The only buzz I get on this bike is from riding it :)
+1 !
 
I do think when people get something these days, they tend to hear and feel things that they might not have pre internet. Not saying at all that it's imaginary, and that people aren't hearing or feeling some things with their bikes, I just think that these are machines that make noises and with lots of whirring things inside produce feelings which are perfectly normal or acceptable, and are well within manufacturing tolerances. You hear something, or feel something, and you take it to the shop, they listen or ride it and declare it " normal". You are convinced they are wrong. You describe it online, and others have heard or felt it too. Others either haven't felt or heard it, or heard or felt it and ignored it. Some people are just more sensitive to noises and vibrations. If several people hear it or feel it, does that then make it normal? Or abnormal?

Have I heard things in my bike I wonder about? Yes. I have I felt vibrations in my bike, Yes. Am I worried about any of it? No, at least not while under warranty. Honda has provided us with a one year, unlimited mileage warranty to put our bikes to the test and see if we can break anything. If there is something truly wrong with the bike, chances are it will surface during that year. If it does, Honda will cover it. If you are truly worried about it long term, for a few hundred bucks, Honda will sell you an extended warranty that will cover your bike up to another 4 years, and you can buy it 1 day before your factory warranty expires. Use Hondas warranty for the first year, 1 day before it expires, if you are still concerned about the noise or vibration you felt, buy 4 more years of protection, and you have piece of mind for a total of 5 years. If something doesn't break in 5 years, was it truly defective to begin with?

Honda has made zillions of these double over head cam inline 4 cyl 4 strokes in the last 35 years. There is nobody in the world better at it. They know what they are doing, and they do it better than anybody. This particular model is in it's 5 th year of production and I am aware of only 1 bike that actually had an issue with the motor requiring tear down, and Honda covered it.

There is a guy who is famous for a saying he made up on the FZ-1 board, for people that were always hearing or feeling things with their Yamaha's which may apply here as well. His saying is

" Ride more...Worry less."
 
I agree..."Ride more, worry less." Which isn't to say that some bikes don't have actual issues, or that Honda is incapable of turning out a defective product (search on "Acura TL transmission problems" if you don't believe me).

All that said....within the realm of "normal" operation, I wonder if part of the issue is that *cars* these days have gotten so quiet, smooth and isolated that a lot of people just aren't accustomed to hearing/feeling actual mechanical noise.
 
pechorin75_imp said:
I agree..."Ride more, worry less." Which isn't to say that some bikes don't have actual issues, or that Honda is incapable of turning out a defective product (search on "Acura TL transmission problems" if you don't believe me).

All that said....within the realm of "normal" operation, I wonder if part of the issue is that *cars* these days have gotten so quiet, smooth and isolated that a lot of people just aren't accustomed to hearing/feeling actual mechanical noise.
You may have tapped into something here regarding our tolerances. Honda could have made this engine so smooth that it would feel like an electric engine, but they decided to add some vibration to replicate those engines from time past. I am ok with this. I just wish my hands did not get numb and tingly after a day's ride.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk now Free
 
I must say as a post 50 rider, I appreciate smoothness. My rubber mounted Sportster still put my hands to sleep so I sold it. I also need at least Progressive shocks of some type, if not Ohlins. Overall I think most people are happy with the 1100. When ridden at a slower pace it does fine. All about the torque. But certainly worth having steering head bearings checked before winter storage as well as wheel balancing.
 
One thing worth checking is you bar end weights. Other threads here highlight how important they are to keeping the vibration in the bars to a minimum. My throttle side weight was nice and loose as it should be. But, my clutch side weight was tight against the grip and couldn't even move.
 
Tough call with vibration. To a certain degree it's subjective. Also, each bike has its' own vibration signature and if you are used to one, getting used to another can be problematic. Mine has a buzz above 4K that I may or may not notice so it is certainly low frequency.

As far as a vibe being a nature of the beast or not, you'll have to compare it side by side with at least one other machine, two or more is even better.

My bike is pretty smooth; but then I can compare it to my Griso (more of a pulse than a vibration, which I think is why twins can be so popular) but she also has a low amplitude vibration. Then the big Red Pig, XR650L has a pulse and a vibration, but very livable. So I have plenty of worse offenders to compare the CB to which puts a bias on my opinion.

So what you feel may indeed the nature of the beast, depending on where you are coming from. Could be a real problem (first blush, something other than the engine) or not. Need to compare it against a bike with no know issues because with only the one bike, your sample size is too small. :)
 
Has everyone tried the key in the ignition/on position and twisting the throttle lock to lock a couple times trick? I hope it's not me just being crazy, but my engines smother than it's been in months after trying it and I just passed 12K miles.
 
kevbroce_imp said:
Has everyone tried the key in the ignition/on position and twisting the throttle lock to lock a couple times trick? I hope it's not me just being crazy, but my engines smother than it's been in months after trying it and I just passed 12K miles.
It is just your imagination.
 
SanPete_imp said:
kevbroce_imp said:
Has everyone tried the key in the ignition/on position and twisting the throttle lock to lock a couple times trick? I hope it's not me just being crazy, but my engines smother than it's been in months after trying it and I just passed 12K miles.
It is just your imagination.
It is just your imagination. Ride 12000 miles and try it.
 
CIP57_imp said:
I have never owned a bike that changes each time you ride. Sometimes the bike is very low on vibs in the tank, pegs and bars and there are other times when this bikes has much more noise. Throttle response is spot on regardless of this but i can't figure out what causes the excessive vibration at times. The vibs are never in the seat and when you pull in the clutch its smooth as glass so its the motor. Its never to the point that you think there's a problem with the motor just annoying as heck. Amazing how it can go from smooth to buzzy just stopping for gas.
Its done this from when it was new with no mods.

Edit: A buddy of mine just bought a Ninja 1000 and we switched bikes yesterday for awhile, he thought the CB handled great in comparison to the older CB's but asked if its always a bit buzzy, i told him ride it tomorrow and it may be gone :)
I have a bit of buzz in the grips at 4K or 70 but its pretty minor. None in the seat or pegs. My old 750 has zero buzz. Wanna feel vibration? Ride a ridgid mount Sportster. Its just unreal how bad they shake. Im satisfied with this part of the CB11. I t could be better but I know how bad this can be on other motorcycles.
 
I have a buzz that comes through the grips between 3800 and 4200 rpms that numbs my hands. I'm coming up on my 1 yr anniversary, so I took it to the dealer and asked them to check and see if anything needs to be re-torqued.

I am still under 1,000 miles as I don't have as much time ride as I'd like, so hoping it will smooth out as I get some more miles on it.

Next I'll try some new grips and maybe some risers to see if that helps.


Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
 
lagoje_imp said:
I have a buzz that comes through the grips between 3800 and 4200 rpms that numbs my hands. I'm coming up on my 1 yr anniversary, so I took it to the dealer and asked them to check and see if anything needs to be re-torqued.

I am still under 1,000 miles as I don't have as much time ride as I'd like, so hoping it will smooth out as I get some more miles on it.

Next I'll try some new grips and maybe some risers to see if that helps.


Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
LOL - brilliant!

Let us know how your grip change goes. I just ordered a set of Pro Grip 719's at the recommendation of several folks on here. I'm experiencing some numbness in my right hand after pounding the super slab at 75+ mph for 45 minutes or so, but I think this has more to do with how tightly I'm gripping the throttle to avoid getting blown off.

I'll probably get a windscreen/cowl at some point to address the wind, but I figured I'd give the $15 grips a try first.

grover


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
grover_imp said:
lagoje_imp said:
I have a buzz that comes through the grips between 3800 and 4200 rpms that numbs my hands. I'm coming up on my 1 yr anniversary, so I took it to the dealer and asked them to check and see if anything needs to be re-torqued.

I am still under 1,000 miles as I don't have as much time ride as I'd like, so hoping it will smooth out as I get some more miles on it.

Next I'll try some new grips and maybe some risers to see if that helps.


Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
LOL - brilliant!

Let us know how your grip change goes. I just ordered a set of Pro Grip 719's at the recommendation of several folks on here. I'm experiencing some numbness in my right hand after pounding the super slab at 75+ mph for 45 minutes or so, but I think this has more to do with how tightly I'm gripping the throttle to avoid getting blown off.

I'll probably get a windscreen/cowl at some point to address the wind, but I figured I'd give the $15 grips a try first.

grover


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
but I think this has more to do with how tightly I'm gripping the throttle to avoid getting blown off. :rofl:
get yourself some protection Grover.
 
Will do. At first I thought it was my riding style as well and gripping too tightly. But after a long ride this weekend, I noticed I was fine until I started cruising at about 70mph. The buzz sets in right there and numbs the hands immediately. But enough moaning. We'll see how the fixes work out.

I will say after doing some demo rides at the progressive motorcycle show this weekend, I'm becoming a bit of a Honda snob. None of the Indian, Victory, or Yamahas I rode are anywhere near as smooth as a Honda


Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
 
Hm, I knew this numb feeling in the hands from my BMW K 1100. It was also a 4-cylinder, but run much rougher than the CB. So, coming from this direction, the CB runs very smooth to me.


This message was signaled with a flashlight into the open end of a fiber.
 
Back
Top