Issues with brakes

Thread starter
Paul_imp said:
What kind of problem are you referring to?
A number of people said that their rear brakes were ineffective. Some said the rear wouldn't even lock up (non-abs, obviously). Some have bled their systems and found air in back, front, or both.
 
Not sure how to vote, my 13 CB had totally ineffectual rear brakes, but I traded it in. My 14 has what I would call pretty weak rear brakes, but they are better than the 13's were but worse than every other bike I have owned (except the 13). Even my 400 scooter had a much stronger rear brake.
 
Thought my rear brake wasn't so good,no where near as grabby as the front can be, wondered if it was not adjusted properly,until the bike in front of me did a full on panic stop to avoid a fawn which hopped on to the road,my reflex was hard on the rear brake and actually got a tire chirp, then front brakes and a quick stop.Conclusion=while the pedal feel might be different than what I have been used to it works just fine.
 
As this seems to be an issue, I wonder what people would think the solution or problem is? It's a decent size rotor and a single piston nissin caliper and nissin master, so it seems like decent (or at least not crappy) hardware. You wouldn't think there would be much variation between bikes, as the non-abs rear brake setup is basically the definition of simple.
 
Maybe it's just me or my riding style, but I think the rear brake works very well.
I haven't been involved in a panic stop yet so I may have to reserve further comment.
For several months I thought I had linked brakes because the brochure said so. Later, due to a thread started by ferret, we both discovered that our brakes aren't linked.
Up until then I was using the brake pedal most of the time in city traffic and had no problem at all. Unknown to me I was only using the rear brake, but once I knew the truth I use the front brake like I do on all my bikes.
 
Rocky_imp said:
Maybe it's just me or my riding style, but I think the rear brake works very well.
I haven't been involved in a panic stop yet so I may have to reserve further comment.
For several months I thought I had linked brakes because the brochure said so. Later, due to a thread started by ferret, we both discovered that our brakes aren't linked.
Up until then I was using the brake pedal most of the time in city traffic and had no problem at all. Unknown to me I was only using the rear brake, but once I knew the truth I use the front brake like I do on all my bikes.
I have no way to size any of this up. I would not say the Ferret doesn't know how to use the rear brake, so I think on his particular machine there was some kind of issue.

Otherwise I am with Rocky all the way.

I practice emergency stops (when we practice them, they aren't "panic" stops) and have had the rear break loose and have had it off the ground a bit a couple of times. The brakes on my bike are outstanding; one finger usually suffices, along with a moderate touch on the pedal.

My GSX-R 750 (with s/s lines and Galfer HH pads) and 2015 ZX-10R have extremely good brakes but the CB1100, for what it is, has a great set of binders. Well-matched to the bike and the kind of rubber it's expected to wear.
 
My rear brake squeaks when I use it, so I don't use it. LOL just kidding, but I don't use my rear brake very often--when I need to get stopped quickly and, sometimes, when employing my feeble attempts at trail-braking.

I voted "no problems - bought new" even though I think the rear brake on my non-abs 2013 is weak. I did so because I believe the brake is working as intended and, therefore, does not have a "problem".
 
Yea mine squeaks too MTC. The problem with the rear brake for me, may be that it is working as designed, and I think it's just a poor design. I prefer a strong rear brake to go along with my strong front brake. I've had them on other bikes so I know it's possible. Maybe on this bike, Honda in it's infinite wisdom just thinks we'd be better off with weak rear brakes. Who knows? The Honda Service rep told me it was normal on my 13 which truthfully wouldn't stop the bike by themselves, even from 20 mph. I'm sure not going to bother them with a complaint about my 14 and be dismissed again. I meant to ride someone else's bike who thought their rear brake was fine at the rally for comparison, but got caught up in enjoying the riding so much I just forgot.
 
The rear brake on my 2013 may be called "weak" by some standards but I like it. I have had to make one panic stop and found the rear works very well as the extreme weight shift to the front when the front duals are used hard unloads the rear and allows the rear brake to be easily modulated without lockup. I have never liked a strong rear brake and over the years have developed the habit of relying on the fronts to do most of the work.
 
Back
Top