chrisross_imp
Running like a top
Thread starter
Sorry for the long post; I'm new here but not new to forums. I'm very active on thumpertalk.com and thegearpage.net.
Background:
I'm soon to turn 22 and graduate college. I've owned a '12 Honda XR650L (dual sport) for about a year; it was my first motorcycle. If any of you know anything about that bike, you'll know that it's old technology and there are a million aftermarket parts available.
So I start digging into it: new exhaust, carb mods and rejet, foam filter, new tank, fork brace, racks, bags, sprockets, bars, front fender, barkbusters...the list goes on and on. It seems like I keep throwing money at it but it's still an old technology bike no matter how much I do to it.
Besides that, I've found myself riding trails less and highways/interstates more. So a pure road bike has become more and more appealing.
Now to the CB1100:
I'm thinking this might be the bike for me. I'm really digging the 2014 standard model with the blacked out engine, body, and wheels. It looks really comfortable and it would be loads better on the interstate. Plus it's EFI, which is a big deal - I'm sick of carbs!
What I really like is that there is a finite amount of things I would want to do to it: Yoshi black exhaust, Power Commander V, Dart tinted flyscreen, and a black painted front fender (I don't like chrome).
And...that's it. That's all I'd want to do to it. The thing with the 650L is that I feel like I'm always one mod away from being done, but with the CB1100 I can do those 4 (albeit expensive) mods and just enjoy the bike as is after that.
Thoughts?
Background:
I'm soon to turn 22 and graduate college. I've owned a '12 Honda XR650L (dual sport) for about a year; it was my first motorcycle. If any of you know anything about that bike, you'll know that it's old technology and there are a million aftermarket parts available.
So I start digging into it: new exhaust, carb mods and rejet, foam filter, new tank, fork brace, racks, bags, sprockets, bars, front fender, barkbusters...the list goes on and on. It seems like I keep throwing money at it but it's still an old technology bike no matter how much I do to it.
Besides that, I've found myself riding trails less and highways/interstates more. So a pure road bike has become more and more appealing.
Now to the CB1100:
I'm thinking this might be the bike for me. I'm really digging the 2014 standard model with the blacked out engine, body, and wheels. It looks really comfortable and it would be loads better on the interstate. Plus it's EFI, which is a big deal - I'm sick of carbs!
What I really like is that there is a finite amount of things I would want to do to it: Yoshi black exhaust, Power Commander V, Dart tinted flyscreen, and a black painted front fender (I don't like chrome).
And...that's it. That's all I'd want to do to it. The thing with the 650L is that I feel like I'm always one mod away from being done, but with the CB1100 I can do those 4 (albeit expensive) mods and just enjoy the bike as is after that.
Thoughts?

, didn't mean to insinuate you are though. Just pointing that out because sometimes our younger brethren wish for more performance,(some of the older ones too). The power commander is a good move with the air/oil cooled engine, probably help it run cooler. Everybody loves a good set of pipes.
I bought a second set of wheels and put dual sport/street tires on them and she is a real hoot on the street. Won't cruise as nicely as the CB but she'll cruise. Not as pretty as the CB and it would take serious coin to make her look good. Keep both, I think they will compliment each other rather well (and you'll never get your money out of it so you may as well use it).