Is this normal?

They're a bit darker than mine were at that mileage, but the headers do tend to bronze up like that on all CB's. Basically normal, and definitely not something that would keep me away from buying it or be any indication that it was ridden harder than normal.
 
To me it looks like it was "ridden hard and put away wet".

They are much darker and bluer than mine have ever gotten in two seasons of riding.

Driving in the rain and not promptly cleaning the headers aggravates the bronzing and encourages freckling or pitting. In this case it has progressed to bluing and browning.

The headers are now probably beyond a simple application of Optiglanz. They will also need a vigorous polish with a product like Autosol and probably the use of a Scotch Brite pad or two.
 
CB360T_imp said:
https://redding.craigslist.org/mcy/5468655397.html

Do the bronzed headers on this 2013 CB1100 look normal for approx 4000 miles?

Thanks! --CB360T
That's normal, it's just stainless steel, no chrome or so.

Mine looked like that last spring:

780db33cacce74067a70b117957d42c8.jpg


After giving it a clean with S100 (motorcycle cleaner), it looked like this:

55a688d583741c536981906c18764994.jpg
 
It doesn't look "normal" to me, but what I find puzzling is why someone would try to sell something and not make it look as good as possible. It makes me wonder if the owner took proper care of the bike.
 
I have to laugh at ads most people place. Says it's been kept in pristine condition and that's it's ready to travel, all you have to do is pack your gear on the rack and your smart phone in the holder... and it comes with a loading ramp?
 
The headers on my bike, which only has 500 miles on it thus far, already look like that.

It's stainless-freaking steel.

I, personally, would rather RIDE my bike, than worry myself over whether or not the headers have bronzed or not...
 
For comparison, here are my headers. I'm at about 9,000 miles. I ride daily and in the rain (never drying it after) and haven't washed it this winter. I would say I ride harder than most people on this forum. Mine are nowhere near as dark as the headers in the craigslist ad. I would definitely consider why they are so dark.
 
If you want the headers to shine, clean them!
A process that takes some effort. A never ending process
of course. Or let them get dark and darker.They will.
I do the first, 'cause I like the 4 in1 thing look real pretty.
It is one of the specials of the CB. An eye catcher
looked at from the left side in my opinion.

The only time I don't clean them is on longer trips,
there I take it as it is.

Wisedrum
 
This what I found out:

First I wash the exhaust system with its headers.

Then mostly Autosol chrom politure.

Newly I try out some stuff that is called Fine Rumbling Paste White,
before I use Autosol for the glance. It may shorten the work. The headers become sort of
chromelike after the care and turn golden after a longer ride.

At least not forgot to mention, a good portion of time and muscle power.
A never ending story that goes on and on and...

But I like the result, the headers seem to yell, make us shine.

Wisedrum
 
Gentlemen,

Those bronze headers always bugged me. So did the exposed catalytic converter with all the sloppy welds. I fabricated a stainless cover for the cat and Jet Hot coated the header in their bright finish and now my headers never bronze and look like this after 6 months of riding. Much better. And a clean bike is a happy bike. I admit I don't like riding dirty motorcycles. Keeping my bikes looking good is it's own reward.

Chip

 
I've owned a number of bikes with single-wall stainless steel pipes (BMW, Moto Guzzi, Honda). The condition is normal. They're not difficult to keep clean. I've had success using WD-40 and a green Scotchbrite pad.
 
Chip,

How much does it cost for the Jet Hot coating?
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
Gentlemen,

Those bronze headers always bugged me. So did the exposed catalytic converter with all the sloppy welds. I fabricated a stainless cover for the cat and Jet Hot coated the header in their bright finish and now my headers never bronze and look like this after 6 months of riding. Much better. And a clean bike is a happy bike. I admit I don't like riding dirty motorcycles. Keeping my bikes looking good is it's own reward.

Chip



Chip - your bike looks better than new, I plan to Jetcoat my headers soon (before the season). I hope my results are close to yours,
cheers
 
CB360T_imp said:
I was not as clear as I could have been...

My question is really if the pipes indicate the bike as being abused. I've seen pics of the bronzing as being more uniform, but this one seems to look blotchy and speckled/pitted.

Thanks.


CB360T_imp said:
https://redding.craigslist.org/mcy/5468655397.html

Do the bronzed headers on this 2013 CB1100 look normal for approx 4000 miles?

Thanks! --CB360T
[/QUOTE]

It doesn't look so much abused as neglected. As mentioned previously, the blotching and pitting is likely due to being ridden in the rain and put away wet. With the amount of bluing near the top of the headers it may have been caught in some California-Summer-stop-and-go-traffic. You don't want to leave air-cooled engines idling and stationary for extended periods of time. However, all four pipes look uniformly blue, so it is likely not a mechanical issue or necessarily a sign of abuse.

There are several CB owners on this forum who are not concerned about an aesthetic issue like the bronzing/discoloring of headers. It is, after-all, an inevitable problem with stainless steel. A rare few may not know that there are products to temporarily remedy the issue (like Optiglanz or Autosol). Some may just not have had the time to clean the headers properly as they would prefer to be riding. And finally, there may just be some who are plain lazy. However, based on the many members of this forum, who go to great lengths to make their CB headers shiny again, the lazy are clearly in the minority ;)
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Chip,

How much does it cost for the Jet Hot coating?
Pop,

About $150. I took my header off and delivered it to the shop in Phoenix myself so I didn't have shipping costs. They plugged all 5 openings plus the O2 sensor hole with rubber stoppers before coating so the catalytic converter wasn't harmed. This is the permanent solution if you don't want to re-polish your header every couple of rides. This coating has been on the headers of my Shelby Mustang for 10 years and it's still perfect.

Chip
 
Thanks Chip! I really like the way yours looks and Jet Hot's site even has an example that matches what you have.

I'm going to see if I can find a place locally that does Jet Hot. A quick Google search shows a place not far from the house, but their web site talks about coating nuclear stuff, etc. (Norfolk area--aircraft carriers). I'll call though.

But the bike shops or car guys will know.
 
Back
Top