Is there a turn signal auto-cancel available?

ohiorider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I'm thinking a kit to automatically cancel a forgotten turn signal would be useful.

Amazingly, my 1983 Yamaha Virago 750 came from the factory with this accessory. As long as you were sitting still, say, at a red light, the signal would continue to flash. If you were moving, it either did a countdown in time or in distance before the signal would automatically cancel.

The CB1100's dash indicators are quite small, and an auto cancel kit would be welcome (for me, anyway.)

Bob
 
Google STS turn signal eliminaters , they send me emails about there product . Good luck let us know what you do . Safer turns .com
 
Anytime you turn from a stop, hit the button. Anytime you make a 90 degree turn, hit the button, anytime you are pulling into a side street or driveway .... or out of a side street or driveway, hit the button. When changing lanes don't take your thumb off the button, flick hit to go out, flick hit to go in.

Doesn't hurt to hit the button even if the turn signal is not really on.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Anytime you turn from a stop, hit the button. Anytime you make a 90 degree turn, hit the button, anytime you are pulling into a side street or driveway .... or out of a side street or driveway, hit the button. When changing lanes don't take your thumb off the button, flick hit to go out, flick hit to go in.

Doesn't hurt to hit the button even if the turn signal is not really on.
LOL! All these years I thought it was my OCD. Apparently it's an actual technique!
 
Someone remind me - didn't the early 750s have an audible beeper when the signal was on? That's what I want!
 
The A-man_imp said:
Someone remind me - didn't the early 750s have an audible beeper when the signal was on? That's what I want!
My '76 Gold Wing had one. Disconnected it as soon as possible.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Anytime you turn from a stop, hit the button. Anytime you make a 90 degree turn, hit the button, anytime you are pulling into a side street or driveway .... or out of a side street or driveway, hit the button. When changing lanes don't take your thumb off the button, flick hit to go out, flick hit to go in.

Doesn't hurt to hit the button even if the turn signal is not really on.
That is the way I use my indicators !
 
You can buy one from Harley...the bike comes with it!

Harley has used a Turn Signal Module for many years.
The 8 wire version on the pre-2004 Sportsters has a green/white wire which receives a signal from the Vehicle Speed Sensor. If cut, it eliminates the auto-cancel. Funny how many wanted to do that.
 
Django_imp said:
"Is there a turn signal auto-cancel available?"

Nope. The switch is pure mechanic.
I don't know why they are not standard now with all the other safety devices: ABS, rev limiters, ride modes, traction control, etc.

My 1972 Kawasaki H2 Mach IV had self cancelling turn signals. No wheelie limiting electronics though. :rofl:

However nothing is perfect. I made a left turn with my H2 at the end of an off ramp. Three blocks later while I passing through a busy intersection on a green light, I had a car make a left turn right in front of me.

I chased the driver down, and angrily scolded him. He pointed to my flashing left turn signal, and he said he though I was going to make a turn in the other direction. I apologized to him, and noticed his wife and two kids were wide eyed with fear because of this angry motorcyclist. I skulked away feeling very small. :blush:
 
Nortoon_imp said:
Django_imp said:
"Is there a turn signal auto-cancel available?"

Nope. The switch is pure mechanic.
I don't know why they are not standard now with all the other safety devices: ABS, rev limiters, ride modes, traction control, etc.

My 1972 Kawasaki H2 Mach IV had self cancelling turn signals. No wheelie limiting electronics though. :rofl:

However nothing is perfect. I made a left turn with my H2 at the end of an off ramp. Three blocks later while I passing through a busy intersection on a green light, I had a car make a left turn right in front of me.

I chased the driver down, and angrily scolded him. He pointed to my flashing left turn signal, and he said he though I was going to make a turn in the other direction. I apologized to him, and noticed his wife and two kids were wide eyed with fear because of this angry motorcyclist. I skulked away feeling very small. :blush:
I don't know why they are not standard now with all the other safety devices: ABS, rev limiters, ride modes, traction control, etc.

My 1972 Kawasaki H2 Mach IV had self cancelling turn signals. No wheelie limiting electronics though. :rofl:

However nothing is perfect. I made a left turn with my H2 at the end of an off ramp. Three blocks later while I passing through a busy intersection on a green light, I had a car make a left turn right in front of me.

I chased the driver down, and angrily scolded him. He pointed to my flashing left turn signal, and he said he though I was going to make a turn in the other direction. I apologized to him, and noticed his wife and two kids were wide eyed with fear because of this angry motorcyclist. I skulked away feeling very small. :blush:
I had a similar incident which made my blood boil, but I cooled off before I embarrassed myself when I saw my flashing signal light caused the incident.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
Django_imp said:
"Is there a turn signal auto-cancel available?"

Nope. The switch is pure mechanic.
I don't know why they are not standard now with all the other safety devices: ABS, rev limiters, ride modes, traction control, etc.

My 1972 Kawasaki H2 Mach IV had self cancelling turn signals. No wheelie limiting electronics though. :rofl:

However nothing is perfect. I made a left turn with my H2 at the end of an off ramp. Three blocks later while I passing through a busy intersection on a green light, I had a car make a left turn right in front of me.

I chased the driver down, and angrily scolded him. He pointed to my flashing left turn signal, and he said he though I was going to make a turn in the other direction. I apologized to him, and noticed his wife and two kids were wide eyed with fear because of this angry motorcyclist. I skulked away feeling very small. :blush:
Most CB's don't have any of that stuff
 
my BMW's had self cancelling signals. I thought they turned off far too quickly. I had to trigger them at least twice to signal a turn in advance of actually making the move.

+1 on Ferrets technique.

I had other bikes that didn't self cancel at the same time as the BMW's and found myself still manually cancelling the self cancelling signals with a flick of the left thumb. (For those who have ridden the K Bikes: you know the bike has a switch on each side. one needed to 'lift' the button to cancel. The German Engineers could have taken a lesson from the Japanese. There is elegance in simplicity.
jim
 
Thread starter
tinboatcapt_imp said:
my BMW's had self cancelling signals. I thought they turned off far too quickly. I had to trigger them at least twice to signal a turn in advance of actually making the move.

+1 on Ferrets technique.

I had other bikes that didn't self cancel at the same time as the BMW's and found myself still manually cancelling the self cancelling signals with a flick of the left thumb. (For those who have ridden the K Bikes: you know the bike has a switch on each side. one needed to 'lift' the button to cancel. The German Engineers could have taken a lesson from the Japanese. There is elegance in simplicity.
jim
What model Beemer(s) did you own with self-cancelling turn signals? Must have either been after my last model (2003 Rockster) or before my first one (1985 K100RS,) Had a bunch in between the first and last. My 26 year old R100GS uses the same controls as the K bikes of the time. I was never fond of their 'lift switches' but finally quit blowing the horn instead of setting the turn signal.
 
So glad all the old school riders look down their noses at self canceling turn signals , my 2004 Road King has them ,never have failed and yes the turn signal buttons are on each side. You would think the Japanese would take an engineering hint from Harley Davidson on this safety feature. Probably the single most item I don't care for on the CB 1100,other than the hard uncomfortable seat.
 
Bravo, I completely agree. I much prefer individual L/R switches than the all-in-one with your left thumb contortion device found on Japanese bikes. It's very surprising the industry hasn't been mandated to settle on a standard, for safety's sake. At least "all" bikes have left toe shifting now.

My '98 K-bike, and every BMW I've owned since (lots of 'em), have self-cancelling signals. I usually just cancel manually.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
Django_imp said:
"Is there a turn signal auto-cancel available?"

Nope. The switch is pure mechanic.
I don't know why they are not standard now with all the other safety devices: ABS, rev limiters, ride modes, traction control, etc.

My 1972 Kawasaki H2 Mach IV had self cancelling turn signals. No wheelie limiting electronics though. :rofl:

However nothing is perfect. I made a left turn with my H2 at the end of an off ramp. Three blocks later while I passing through a busy intersection on a green light, I had a car make a left turn right in front of me.

I chased the driver down, and angrily scolded him. He pointed to my flashing left turn signal, and he said he though I was going to make a turn in the other direction. I apologized to him, and noticed his wife and two kids were wide eyed with fear because of this angry motorcyclist. I skulked away feeling very small. :blush:
I was quite pleased to leave the ABS and traction control on the V7II when I traded it!
 
Back
Top