Is there a turn signal auto-cancel available?

The A-man_imp said:
Someone remind me - didn't the early 750s have an audible beeper when the signal was on? That's what I want!
Ugh! My first street bike ('76 KZ400) had that "feature". It was loud and annoying. I used to get nasty looks from nearby drivers when sitting at long traffic lights.
 
obleo_imp said:
So glad all the old school riders look down their noses at self canceling turn signals , my 2004 Road King has them ,never have failed and yes the turn signal buttons are on each side. You would think the Japanese would take an engineering hint from Harley Davidson on this safety feature. Probably the single most item I don't care for on the CB 1100,other than the hard uncomfortable seat.
As did both of my Sportsters.
Press both sides for 4 way.
H-D TSM modules are very durable.
Most H-D turn issues are bulbs, sockets, wiring.
 
Your problems i like to have..smile

I have it learned as a automatism to hit the button always bcos its a important savety factor....for my own body......

But yes i can it understand why you like to have a auto switcher....bcos your streets , crossings are so large and big overthere..you have to drive a half day long for ending the turn / leave the crossing......and after this you forgett to hit the button......

Here i have often the problem by my goldwing that the time is to much long until it stops to blink........bcos there is already the next crossing or some like that.....and must self stop the turn signal....
 
The ferret_imp said:
Nortoon_imp said:
Django_imp said:
"Is there a turn signal auto-cancel available?"

Nope. The switch is pure mechanic.
I don't know why they are not standard now with all the other safety devices: ABS, rev limiters, ride modes, traction control, etc.

My 1972 Kawasaki H2 Mach IV had self cancelling turn signals. No wheelie limiting electronics though. :rofl:

However nothing is perfect. I made a left turn with my H2 at the end of an off ramp. Three blocks later while I passing through a busy intersection on a green light, I had a car make a left turn right in front of me.

I chased the driver down, and angrily scolded him. He pointed to my flashing left turn signal, and he said he though I was going to make a turn in the other direction. I apologized to him, and noticed his wife and two kids were wide eyed with fear because of this angry motorcyclist. I skulked away feeling very small. :blush:
Most CB's don't have any of that stuff
Most CB's don't have any of that stuff
I do like the Ferrets solution that entails always pushing the button to cancel the signal. However I just cannot get around why auto cancel is not the default behavior. In my mind Honda tends to come down on the side of such issues with features that just make sense to me. But this just doesn't percolate.
 
I find the little green warning LEDs hard to see in sunlight. And you have to take your eyes off the road to see them, which is really dangerous in the city. Now if I am not sure I just push the button. If it depresses, I know I forgot to cancel.

Sometimes after riding many miles after a turn, I will notice the orange signal light flashing, not the pale green warning light.

I would like self-cancelling signals with the option of manually canceling them.

If I ever get around to installing my wind screen, I may add flashing yellow LED warning lights to the edges so they can be seen without taking my eyes off the road.
 
I had self cancellers on a Kawasaki drifter, very useful. Like most I keep pressing the button out of habit. Not a bad habit though.
 
ohiorider_imp said:
tinboatcapt_imp said:
my BMW's had self cancelling signals. I thought they turned off far too quickly. I had to trigger them at least twice to signal a turn in advance of actually making the move.

+1 on Ferrets technique.

I had other bikes that didn't self cancel at the same time as the BMW's and found myself still manually cancelling the self cancelling signals with a flick of the left thumb. (For those who have ridden the K Bikes: you know the bike has a switch on each side. one needed to 'lift' the button to cancel. The German Engineers could have taken a lesson from the Japanese. There is elegance in simplicity.
jim
What model Beemer(s) did you own with self-cancelling turn signals? Must have either been after my last model (2003 Rockster) or before my first one (1985 K100RS,) Had a bunch in between the first and last. My 26 year old R100GS uses the same controls as the K bikes of the time. I was never fond of their 'lift switches' but finally quit blowing the horn instead of setting the turn signal.
What model Beemer(s) did you own with self-cancelling turn signals? Must have either been after my last model (2003 Rockster) or before my first one (1985 K100RS,) Had a bunch in between the first and last. My 26 year old R100GS uses the same controls as the K bikes of the time. I was never fond of their 'lift switches' but finally quit blowing the horn instead of setting the turn signal.
Ohiorider,
I had two of them. First was an'86 K100RT that had been rode hard and put up wet. Bought with 40K sold at 100K miles. Great bike. The second was a '90 K100LT ABS that was totaled. I bought a frame with a clean title and rebuilt it. I rode it from 22K to 65K and sold it. I traded it for a '00 ST1100 with 38K and it is now 102K and still counting
 
Thread starter
tinboatcapt_imp said:
ohiorider_imp said:
tinboatcapt_imp said:
my BMW's had self cancelling signals. I thought they turned off far too quickly. I had to trigger them at least twice to signal a turn in advance of actually making the move.

+1 on Ferrets technique.

I had other bikes that didn't self cancel at the same time as the BMW's and found myself still manually cancelling the self cancelling signals with a flick of the left thumb. (For those who have ridden the K Bikes: you know the bike has a switch on each side. one needed to 'lift' the button to cancel. The German Engineers could have taken a lesson from the Japanese. There is elegance in simplicity.
jim
What model Beemer(s) did you own with self-cancelling turn signals? Must have either been after my last model (2003 Rockster) or before my first one (1985 K100RS,) Had a bunch in between the first and last. My 26 year old R100GS uses the same controls as the K bikes of the time. I was never fond of their 'lift switches' but finally quit blowing the horn instead of setting the turn signal.
What model Beemer(s) did you own with self-cancelling turn signals? Must have either been after my last model (2003 Rockster) or before my first one (1985 K100RS,) Had a bunch in between the first and last. My 26 year old R100GS uses the same controls as the K bikes of the time. I was never fond of their 'lift switches' but finally quit blowing the horn instead of setting the turn signal.
Ohiorider,
I had two of them. First was an'86 K100RT that had been rode hard and put up wet. Bought with 40K sold at 100K miles. Great bike. The second was a '90 K100LT ABS that was totaled. I bought a frame with a clean title and rebuilt it. I rode it from 22K to 65K and sold it. I traded it for a '00 ST1100 with 38K and it is now 102K and still counting
What model Beemer(s) did you own with self-cancelling turn signals? Must have either been after my last model (2003 Rockster) or before my first one (1985 K100RS,) Had a bunch in between the first and last. My 26 year old R100GS uses the same controls as the K bikes of the time. I was never fond of their 'lift switches' but finally quit blowing the horn instead of setting the turn signal.
Ohiorider,
I had two of them. First was an'86 K100RT that had been rode hard and put up wet. Bought with 40K sold at 100K miles. Great bike. The second was a '90 K100LT ABS that was totaled. I bought a frame with a clean title and rebuilt it. I rode it from 22K to 65K and sold it. I traded it for a '00 ST1100 with 38K and it is now 102K and still counting Tinboat, the auto cancelling signals must have been on specific models, or perhaps a factory option. Maybe the LTs came with that feature, being top of the line bikes. I went thru a bunch of K-RS bikes (85, 89, 93, 93, 98.) Who knows ..... maybe I just didn't know they all self-cancelled!!

Bob

PS - those first year K bikes were tough machines! Here's a pic of mine that I resurrected from an old Kodak disc camera I found in a tank bag years after the pic was take. What a great surprise!

Well .... forget it. I can't find the button to permit me to attach the pic to the post.
 
ohiorider_imp said:
tinboatcapt_imp said:
ohiorider_imp said:
tinboatcapt_imp said:
my BMW's had self cancelling signals. I thought they turned off far too quickly. I had to trigger them at least twice to signal a turn in advance of actually making the move.

+1 on Ferrets technique.

I had other bikes that didn't self cancel at the same time as the BMW's and found myself still manually cancelling the self cancelling signals with a flick of the left thumb. (For those who have ridden the K Bikes: you know the bike has a switch on each side. one needed to 'lift' the button to cancel. The German Engineers could have taken a lesson from the Japanese. There is elegance in simplicity.
jim
What model Beemer(s) did you own with self-cancelling turn signals? Must have either been after my last model (2003 Rockster) or before my first one (1985 K100RS,) Had a bunch in between the first and last. My 26 year old R100GS uses the same controls as the K bikes of the time. I was never fond of their 'lift switches' but finally quit blowing the horn instead of setting the turn signal.
What model Beemer(s) did you own with self-cancelling turn signals? Must have either been after my last model (2003 Rockster) or before my first one (1985 K100RS,) Had a bunch in between the first and last. My 26 year old R100GS uses the same controls as the K bikes of the time. I was never fond of their 'lift switches' but finally quit blowing the horn instead of setting the turn signal.
Ohiorider,
I had two of them. First was an'86 K100RT that had been rode hard and put up wet. Bought with 40K sold at 100K miles. Great bike. The second was a '90 K100LT ABS that was totaled. I bought a frame with a clean title and rebuilt it. I rode it from 22K to 65K and sold it. I traded it for a '00 ST1100 with 38K and it is now 102K and still counting
What model Beemer(s) did you own with self-cancelling turn signals? Must have either been after my last model (2003 Rockster) or before my first one (1985 K100RS,) Had a bunch in between the first and last. My 26 year old R100GS uses the same controls as the K bikes of the time. I was never fond of their 'lift switches' but finally quit blowing the horn instead of setting the turn signal.
Ohiorider,
I had two of them. First was an'86 K100RT that had been rode hard and put up wet. Bought with 40K sold at 100K miles. Great bike. The second was a '90 K100LT ABS that was totaled. I bought a frame with a clean title and rebuilt it. I rode it from 22K to 65K and sold it. I traded it for a '00 ST1100 with 38K and it is now 102K and still counting Tinboat, the auto cancelling signals must have been on specific models, or perhaps a factory option. Maybe the LTs came with that feature, being top of the line bikes. I went thru a bunch of K-RS bikes (85, 89, 93, 93, 98.) Who knows ..... maybe I just didn't know they all self-cancelled!!

Bob

PS - those first year K bikes were tough machines! Here's a pic of mine that I resurrected from an old Kodak disc camera I found in a tank bag years after the pic was take. What a great surprise!

Well .... forget it. I can't find the button to permit me to attach the pic to the post.
Your '98 did. Not sure about your earlier ones.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
ohiorider_imp said:
tinboatcapt_imp said:
ohiorider_imp said:
tinboatcapt_imp said:
my BMW's had self cancelling signals. I thought they turned off far too quickly. I had to trigger them at least twice to signal a turn in advance of actually making the move.

+1 on Ferrets technique.

I had other bikes that didn't self cancel at the same time as the BMW's and found myself still manually cancelling the self cancelling signals with a flick of the left thumb. (For those who have ridden the K Bikes: you know the bike has a switch on each side. one needed to 'lift' the button to cancel. The German Engineers could have taken a lesson from the Japanese. There is elegance in simplicity.
jim
What model Beemer(s) did you own with self-cancelling turn signals? Must have either been after my last model (2003 Rockster) or before my first one (1985 K100RS,) Had a bunch in between the first and last. My 26 year old R100GS uses the same controls as the K bikes of the time. I was never fond of their 'lift switches' but finally quit blowing the horn instead of setting the turn signal.
What model Beemer(s) did you own with self-cancelling turn signals? Must have either been after my last model (2003 Rockster) or before my first one (1985 K100RS,) Had a bunch in between the first and last. My 26 year old R100GS uses the same controls as the K bikes of the time. I was never fond of their 'lift switches' but finally quit blowing the horn instead of setting the turn signal.
Ohiorider,
I had two of them. First was an'86 K100RT that had been rode hard and put up wet. Bought with 40K sold at 100K miles. Great bike. The second was a '90 K100LT ABS that was totaled. I bought a frame with a clean title and rebuilt it. I rode it from 22K to 65K and sold it. I traded it for a '00 ST1100 with 38K and it is now 102K and still counting
What model Beemer(s) did you own with self-cancelling turn signals? Must have either been after my last model (2003 Rockster) or before my first one (1985 K100RS,) Had a bunch in between the first and last. My 26 year old R100GS uses the same controls as the K bikes of the time. I was never fond of their 'lift switches' but finally quit blowing the horn instead of setting the turn signal.
Ohiorider,
I had two of them. First was an'86 K100RT that had been rode hard and put up wet. Bought with 40K sold at 100K miles. Great bike. The second was a '90 K100LT ABS that was totaled. I bought a frame with a clean title and rebuilt it. I rode it from 22K to 65K and sold it. I traded it for a '00 ST1100 with 38K and it is now 102K and still counting Tinboat, the auto cancelling signals must have been on specific models, or perhaps a factory option. Maybe the LTs came with that feature, being top of the line bikes. I went thru a bunch of K-RS bikes (85, 89, 93, 93, 98.) Who knows ..... maybe I just didn't know they all self-cancelled!!

Bob

PS - those first year K bikes were tough machines! Here's a pic of mine that I resurrected from an old Kodak disc camera I found in a tank bag years after the pic was take. What a great surprise!

Well .... forget it. I can't find the button to permit me to attach the pic to the post.
Your '98 did. Not sure about your earlier ones.
Your '98 did. Not sure about your earlier ones. No wonder many of us K bike riders were confused about the turn signals. Check out this 14 year old thread!
http://www.k-bikes.com/ubbthreads/showfl...t=all&vc=1

Bob
 
Lol that was an amusing read Bob.
 
When I was a scooter rider I installed a homemade turn signal beeper on my Vespa. Rationale was to remind oneself to "hit the button." Even using Ferret's situational awareness method, there will be times when we all leave the signal on, and stories here indicate that can be the cause of confusion or worse on the road.

What I learned with my scooter is that the darn motor was so quiet, the beeper actually alerted pedestrians in a city situation that I was there--and probably prevented a few of them from stepping off the curb in front of me.

With my CB I try to practice the Ferret method, but occasionally find myself blinking away. With the stock exhaust, again, the motor is so darn quiet that I wonder if a beeper or a louder exhaust would be a good idea.

For now I am keeping it stock and not putting in a beeper.
 
SailorRider_imp said:
When I was a scooter rider I installed a homemade turn signal beeper on my Vespa. Rationale was to remind oneself to "hit the button." Even using Ferret's situational awareness method, there will be times when we all leave the signal on, and stories here indicate that can be the cause of confusion or worse on the road.

What I learned with my scooter is that the darn motor was so quiet, the beeper actually alerted pedestrians in a city situation that I was there--and probably prevented a few of them from stepping off the curb in front of me.

With my CB I try to practice the Ferret method, but occasionally find myself blinking away. With the stock exhaust, again, the motor is so darn quiet that I wonder if a beeper or a louder exhaust would be a good idea.

For now I am keeping it stock and not putting in a beeper.
Loud beepers save lives
 
I looked into self cancelling for my 17 CB, the module is a little more complex than just a normal flasher, it turns off the running light on the front turn signal, and flashes, making the flashing stand out a bit more. I have a nice beeper flasher sitting on my counter at home. Not going in the bike.
 
I just learned about the Safter Turn System when Cageron2wheels installed one. It seems like a good idea to me, but maybe I wouldn't like it once installed. I only forget to turn off my signals when I make a turn and there is some sort of traffic issue ahead that takes my mind off the signal. I, now, more often than not, turn the signal off just as I am entering the turn.

Another device they sell that looks interesting turns on the brake light when you downshift or engine brake. I like that idea too. Most people don't tailgate me I've noticed but sometimes they do and I have gotten in the habit of pressing the brake lever just before downshifting to give them some warning that I will be slowing dramatically.
 
I was spoiled by Harley self-cancelling turn signal modules, but after 1 Triumph, 2 Yamahas and 1 Moto Guzzi, I have since got into the habit of cancelling during a turn.
 
I never understood why vehicles (any vehicle!) would have two indicators on the dash: one for the left, one for the right.

Surely, you know what turn you intended to make. Surely, if you are not sure which way you last pressed (or not at all) the turn indicator as "the situation develops" you simply press in the direction you intend to turn the handle bars; you don't look look down to determine which of the two light is blinking! There just isn't time to look down.

The only purpose of the light on the dashboard (if any!) is to remind you: "Hey, you fool, your turn signal is still blinking!". At that point, it does not matter one iota whether it's left or right! Either there is the eye-thumb muscle memory bypass active, or you won't be riding long in the dense city traffic!

(OK, thanks for enduring the rant. Assuming you got to the end :)
 
rotor_imp said:
I never understood why vehicles (any vehicle!) would have two indicators on the dash: one for the left, one for the right.

Surely, you know what turn you intended to make. Surely, if you are not sure which way you last pressed (or not at all) the turn indicator as "the situation develops" you simply press in the direction you intend to turn the handle bars; you don't look look down to determine which of the two light is blinking! There just isn't time to look down.

The only purpose of the light on the dashboard (if any!) is to remind you: "Hey, you fool, your turn signal is still blinking!". At that point, it does not matter one iota whether it's left or right! Either there is the eye-thumb muscle memory bypass active, or you won't be riding long in the dense city traffic!

(OK, thanks for enduring the rant. Assuming you got to the end :)
Both recent Yamahas had a single indicator, which requires the wiring to include diodes to prevent feed back to the other side. Without the diodes, either left or right switch would provide a 4 way hazard signal, instead of left or right.
 
rotor_imp said:
I never understood why vehicles (any vehicle!) would have two indicators on the dash: one for the left, one for the right.

Surely, you know what turn you intended to make. Surely, if you are not sure which way you last pressed (or not at all) the turn indicator as "the situation develops" you simply press in the direction you intend to turn the handle bars; you don't look look down to determine which of the two light is blinking! There just isn't time to look down.

The only purpose of the light on the dashboard (if any!) is to remind you: "Hey, you fool, your turn signal is still blinking!". At that point, it does not matter one iota whether it's left or right! Either there is the eye-thumb muscle memory bypass active, or you won't be riding long in the dense city traffic!

(OK, thanks for enduring the rant. Assuming you got to the end :)
My CB750 has a single amber light that flashes when either turn signal is on. It's big, bright and right in between the tach and speedo. I find it much more effective than the relatively dim green indicators on the CB1100.
 
Back
Top