Is the CB1100 a Sportbike? Ask Freddie.

Ulvetanna_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I found this video on an old thread here. No one had posted to it since 2013.

I think since we have had some commentary regarding when and how to shift, and it appears the sentiment here may be leaning too much toward the lugubrious and not nearly enough to the lascivious, I would repost Mr. Spencer's riding demonstration here once again.

Note the fork compression at 1:22. An expert control input.

"Je suis Freddie Spencer"
 
hmmmm, his left outside foot is clearly up on the peg, but on his inside foot, it appears he might be using it for a lean angle feeler..... interesting



"Je suis Freddie Spencer"
 
Ah the Freddie Spencer video.

I'm guessing that Mr. Spencer could make just about any bike look like a sportbike given his riding skills. But one of the things that I like about the CB1100 is that it is not a sportbike. I enjoy the fact that it's just a great motorcycle. My riding ability represents just a small fraction of the ability that someone like Freddie enjoys. But I'm okay with that, I still enjoy riding. Obviously you can ride a CB1100 in a more spirited manner if you choose, and that's fine by me. If I were Freddie Spencer, I might have a hard time not wanting to put all of that talent to the test every time out.

My favorite thing about the CB1100 is that it doesn't look like a sportbike. Instead it looks like a bike that I should be riding. It matches up with the way I view myself as someone who rides. No disrespect intended towards any of you older guys that don't feel the same as me (to each their own and all that), but as I get older I'm having a harder time envisioning myself on a bike without the upright riding position of the CB. Me being on a bike that requires me to hunch down would just look a bit too much like I'm trying to fit in with the cool kids, lol. (Burt Munro I am not.) Not to mention that I find the upright ergonomics much more comfortable. While I can live with the ergonomics of my Hawk GT which still has an upright riding position (even though it has clip-ons, they are riser clip-ons), I'm much more comfortable on my CB1100. Obviously I like the CB1100 for what it is.
 
Guth_imp said:
Ah the Freddie Spencer video.

I'm guessing that Mr. Spencer could make just about any bike look like a sportbike given his riding skills. But one of the things that I like about the CB1100 is that it is not a sportbike. I enjoy the fact that it's just a great motorcycle. My riding ability represents just a small fraction of the ability that someone like Freddie enjoys. But I'm okay with that, I still enjoy riding. Obviously you can ride a CB1100 in a more spirited manner if you choose, and that's fine by me. If I were Freddie Spencer, I might have a hard time not wanting to put all of that talent to the test every time out.

My favorite thing about the CB1100 is that it doesn't look like a sportbike. Instead it looks like a bike that I should be riding. It matches up with the way I view myself as someone who rides. No disrespect intended towards any of you older guys that don't feel the same as me (to each their own and all that), but as I get older I'm having a harder time envisioning myself on a bike without the upright riding position of the CB. Me being on a bike that requires me to hunch down would just look a bit too much like I'm trying to fit in with the cool kids, lol. (Burt Munro I am not.) Not to mention that I find the upright ergonomics much more comfortable. While I can live with the ergonomics of my Hawk GT which still has an upright riding position (even though it has clip-ons, they are riser clip-ons), I'm much more comfortable on my CB1100. Obviously I like the CB1100 for what it is.
Those are my feelings about the CB and my riding style to a T!! Well said :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Well, that's not a stock CB (notice the Ohlins). Anyone thinking they can ride their CB like Freddie is a fool. Don't kid yourself, the CB is no sport bike, nor does it pretend to be.
 
apparently looking at his riding style, I ride a lot like Freddie (only at maybe 1/4 the speed) :rofl:
 
And 1/4 of the talent :P
 
got that right!

still my favorite Freddie Spencer video

 
Well that video was eye opening!

Guess I'll stick to my "Guth Style" of riding. Freddie can pass anytime he wants :)
 
Honda calls it a sport bike....

 
I'm guessing this is about the point where we come to the standard conclusion (pun intended) that the CB1100 is different things to different people.

When I think of sportbikes, I tend to think of what Honda is calling Supersports.

:biker:
 
EmptySea_imp said:
The Grom is a sportbike, too, then.
Guth_imp said:
I'm guessing this is about the point where we come to the standard conclusion (pun intended) that the CB1100 is different things to different people.

When I think of sportbikes, I tend to think of what Honda is calling Supersports.

:biker:
I agree with you both. It might just be that there isn't another category to put bikes like the Grom and the CB1100 into.
But look at it like this....a CBR300R is no supersport, but it is a sport bike to be sure, yet the CB1100, in the right hands, would probably out perform it on a track all day long.
I know....apples and oranges, but you get my point.
 
It's only in the US that it's classified as a sports bike. See here.
 
Don't get me wrong, I think it would be fun to do a track day on my CB1100 and I think it would hold its own. I will say, though, that provided the track has enough curves in it, I bet I could turn faster laps with my old CBR250r--or at least close.
 
I really like this video and Freddy on a CB1100. I posted it the first time to this forum.

However, one should keep in mind, it's not a documentation of a race or riding abilities, but an entertaining video, to show the BadSeeds modifications. But anyway, it's a nice plot.

For me the CB is a gentleman's bike, not a racing bike and one should not expect too much sportive riding support, while Freddy for sure can ride fast on any bike.
 
Back
Top