Is That An Eighty-One!?

Yata-Garasu_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I've heard of people getting the CB1100 confused with the older CBs, but it had never happened to me... Until today!

Coming out of my local diner after lunch, a couple fellers in work clothes were eyeing up my bike.

The taller of the two says, "Is this your bike?"

I nodded that it was, and then he says, "What year is it? Is that an eighty-one?"

Made my day. Got to stop and talk to a random stranger about Japanese inline fours for ten minutes... Another day in paradise! :cool:
 
When I bought mine and was bringing it home on a trailer I had to stop and get gas in my truck. This guy came from accross the parking lot asking me crazy questions like how long did it take to restore this beauty, how long did it take to find the parts and WoW those modern wheels look great on this vintage bike. When I told him it was a 2013 he was blown away. He never knew HONDA made these let alone brought them to the states.
6da76ae172cd5622b398ad0da40361ff.png


Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
 
my girlfriend is fed up of going around behind me in my CB because every time we stop for lunch, for gas, or simply when we park, at least one 50-years-old (or more) man comes up all hyped to me and start talking about it, asking if it's original, if it's restored etc: no one ever believes that it's a 2019 bike! probably because they are rarer than unicorns here in Italy..

4 cylinder Hondas were a big thing back in the 70/80s, and people love to remember the good old days
 
These are all familiar tales of the legend. Excellent to read they are still alive and well.

Sometimes it is easier to say, " ... yeah, totally restored and updated ... " and watch where the conversation goes next.
 
We CB1100 owners get such a wide range of comments/questions from the spectator gallery :) Some know its a retro, some don't. All have loved it and want to talk for a moment. Two opposing comments I received during my ownership are (a) dang that a big bike/engine and (b) is that 250cc? As a naked bike, its size is really understated IMHO. Glad I am not in the spectator only gallery.
 
I had a cage pull up next to me at a red light and the driver simply say out the window, " ... man, - oh man, that bike is quiet."
 
Bearded guy about 35 walks up to me while I was filling up my CB yesterday and says " that's weird" I asked him what was weird about it? and he says he cant figure out what year my bike is. I tell him 2014 and he was amazed. Then he says his dad bought the first Honda Magna in our county in 1984. I said in 1984 I worked at the only Honda dealer in the county. Then he says his mom worked there then in the parts dept. Hmm I was parts manager then, and had 2 girls that worked for me. What was your mom's name? He says Lynn. Turns out I was her boss. Nice lady. Last time I ran into her she was talking about moving to California, but her son said she still lived nearby, but was thinking about moving to Fla or Az lol. I told her to tell her hi for me.

Small world made smaller by the CB 1100
 
Interesting story Ferret.

1984 there was only one Honda dealership in the ̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶r̶y̶ county?

Even still, that is somewhat unexpected.
 
He said COUNTY. Never mind, I see he edited his post.
 
i've gotten everything from "is that a nighthawk?" to, "what year is that?" to, " man that's a classic you shoulda left it stock." happens a lot. almost nobody knows that honda was making an air-cooled i4 in 2014 and 2017.
 
I was a Moto Guzzi rally in Susanville CA last weekend. Folks thought it was a pretty cool bike.

But the K&H seat, for me, is a bum killer. The bloom has left the Laam seat so I think I'm going to spring for a Russell Day Long.

I rode up from Carson City (trucked the bike to there from Phoenix as I could not take the heat expected Sunday and Monday+ ). That bike has spent more time and miles in the back of the truck (or trailer) than on the road! LOL
 
I never thought anyone would interested in an older looking bike when I bought it two months but I have received a bunch of attention in two different states (Arizona and California). I am guessing there are still thousands and thousands of folks who rode Honda’s in the 70’s that still miss those early days. I rode a 50cc Honda MB5 from 1982-1984 when I was a poor dude in high school. I have owned many more motorcycles including Honda’s, BMW’s and Kawasaki’s, but Honda bikes still make me feel like I am 16 when I ride them.
 
I had wanted to go to that Guzzi rally in Susanville but a hip replacement put a stop to that but, a couple of previous months to that, I was at a gas station here in SoCal and had a guy-that looked like a former motorcyclist from the '60's 70's (just like me)- ask me about the bike because he remembered the 750 so, Honda got the look of the bike down pretty well...
 
Back
Top