Is $12.3K OTD a good deal on a new 2014 deluxe

AndyHe_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
So I'm in the market for a new deluxe but not sure if at this point I should just wait for the 2015s to come out (assuming they do but that is on another thread) for the price to drop more on the 2014s. No rush since the weather here sucks anyway and I won't really be riding it until spring.

I'd *really* like to test drive one first but the dealer that has one on the floor said if we came to an agreement on price and I agreed to buy it then and only then could I test drive it. The MSRP with freight and tax etc came to $13.7k and the lowest I could talk him down was $12.3K otd. I'd like to pay something south of $11.5K but at this point maybe I'm just being stingy. (I'm one of those a**holes that wants to get "a deal"). The weird part is that if I'd been able to ride it to make sure that it's all that I think it is, he probably would have had me sold on it easily.

There are several dealers around the Pacific Northwest that have them in stock but not assembled and no one I've found is willing to put one together just for a test ride. I can understand that.

Do you think I should wait for the price to drop or pull the trigger?

So in general the answer to my own question is "well if the bike is worth $12.3K to me then I should buy it" but does anyone else have any words of wisdom for someone on the fence?

thanks.
 
Buy a '13 for 7 grand or so. There's your "deal" you're looking for! :thumbsup:

But to answer your question, the price sounds high. Let us know what they are saying MSRP is, and what freight is, and what tax is.
 
Hard to say. I got mine for less than that last April when the bikes were just coming out. However, the DLX was selling very well - I haven't seen them on dealer floors. My bet is that they will bring out a new color for the DLX in '15 and use the '14s as a color "option".
 
If the weather stinks anyway..I'd just hang out and see where the prices go. What so you have to lose if you are not going to be able to ride anyway?
 
Thread starter
ClassicVW_imp said:
Buy a '13 for 7 grand or so. There's your "deal" you're looking for! :thumbsup:

But to answer your question, the price sounds high. Let us know what they are saying MSRP is, and what freight is, and what tax is.
MSRP is $11,900 with a $1200 discount taking asking price to $10,700. Freight is a whooping $795 (!) and the $250 for assembly and sales tax of 9.5%.

There is a new 2013 for $8k but I am willing to pay extra for the 6th gear, ABS, exhaust and color. Basically I really want the 2014 deluxe.

Based on what you guys are saying here, these guys are still on the high side. Good to know.
 
Prices are all over the place based on your area, just like houses.
I know in my area where economy and salaries are doing well they did not deal much at all....maybe $200 off price on the 2013 I bought a while back.
So when everyone starts chiming in with all the great deals they see or got around the country, it may not apply to you.
 
$795 freight and $ 250 set up are ridiculous charges. Paying some freight and set up is not out of line ( although some people refuse to pay any) because the dealer does pay to have bikes shipped and does pay someone to set them up, but what you are really worried about is the bottom line.

Figure a price you are willing to pay. No more. Go in with that figure and get their best price. If its below that figure, buy it. if it's above that figure, tell them the most you are willing to pay. if they won't sell it for that...walk out!
 
Like Ferret said, it's going to be winter very soon. I've seen quite a few '13s this year with 500-1000 miles on them. I bought one. If you wait till the Spring, you can find one still under warranty for maybe 3 grand less than you're looking at paying now. Let someone else pay the depreciation.

I don't know of anyone that paid anywhere near that for freight. And to charge you $1,045 for freight and assembly seems outrageous.

There are some threads here on the forum where owners told what they paid. Try and do a search and find some of them to get a handle on what people paid.
 
I paid $10,450 OTD at Parkway Cycle in Boston ( so its not the low rent district ) in early October. Just get on the phone & call. I was quoted as high as $12,666.
 
Thread starter
rocket_imp said:
I paid $10,450 OTD at Parkway Cycle in Boston ( so its not the low rent district ) in early October. Just get on the phone & call. I was quoted as high as $12,666.
Whoa, that is good info to have. And since I'm not in a rush, maybe one of those dealers that has it boxed in the warehouse will want to unload it just to clear it out. thanks
 
Be aware that some peoples OTD is different than other peoples OTD. If one buys a bike in one state and has to pay taxes, title etc in another state, sometimes their OTD prices do not reflect what they paid after taking delivery from the selling dealer.

My otd is bike, taxes, license, title fees, freight, set up, EVERYTHING required to be paid by me to put the bike on the road in my name.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Be aware that some peoples OTD is different than other peoples OTD. If one buys a bike in one state and has to pay taxes, title etc in another state, sometimes their OTD prices do not reflect what they paid after taking delivery from the selling dealer.

My otd is bike, taxes, license, title fees, freight, set up, EVERYTHING required to be paid by me to put the bike on the road in my name.
Agreed, not just "OTD" of the dealer, but OTD of DMV and ITD( In the door) of your garage.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Be aware that some peoples OTD is different than other peoples OTD. If one buys a bike in one state and has to pay taxes, title etc in another state, sometimes their OTD prices do not reflect what they paid after taking delivery from the selling dealer.

My otd is bike, taxes, license, title fees, freight, set up, EVERYTHING required to be paid by me to put the bike on the road in my name.
Good point. The 9.5% sales tax and another $200 in licensing fees for the county I live in may be quite different from other states. That would be about $1150 that the dealer has no room on whatsoever.

And if I were to go to Oregon and buy it without sales tax, Washington state will charge me a use tax equal to the sales tax when I register it here. But we don't have a state income tax so they get there money one way or another.
 
I would not pay any more than MSRP out the door. At $11,899.00 they are making a decent profit. I started negotiations at a figure south of MSRP with a bottom line figure that I was willing to pay & no more. Also willing to walk if necessary.
 
OTD varies state to state and even county to county in a state. The only fair compare is the number before the sales tax, title, registration and etc fees out of the dealership's hand. For example here in Texas there is a safety inspection for even a new bike. No safety sticker, no registration.

Shop it around. No one can tell you if there is a bike for 2015 at this point. So take a risk there.but there will be new bikes and used bikes for sale, but the number of 2014 DLX models and the 2013 ABS is far more limited than the standard models. You will find it but patience will be required. If a bargain is to your liking find a used 2013.

When you consider a 2 yr old 2013 lightly used can be had between $6000 and $7000, and a 40 yr old CB750 goes for $2000 and say $3500, and the same for a used K75 BMW.

IMHO the CB1100 is a great bargain!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I paid $10,200 no other fees at all but MISSISSIPPI sales tax of 7% I think I got a good deal. But if they don't make a 15 model the new 13 & 14 models will go up in price this spring. I bet atleast MSRP. Mine is a deluxe model and honda only made them as the dealer ordered them. The 14 standards was just shipped to all honda dealers. I don't think many deluxes was made but I could be bad wrong. Resteried deluxe models on this forum the highest vin is around 300. I would guess less than 1,000 deluxe models made. Again just guessing.
 
Thread starter
Well he called me this morning to haggle more. I got them to agree to $11,850 otd plus selling me any accessories at cost plus tax. I called other dealers in the area and that's probably about as good as I'm going to get for this area so I'll pick up the bike on Friday. It's not a great price but it's not horrible either considering the > $1050 just in taxes and licensing fees.

Now I just need to decide if I want the engine guards and luggage rack at cost or not. Definitely yes on the engine guards but I'm thinking about buying the honda top box from samurider which includes the luggage rack.

The reason why I didn't wait was because this is exactly the bike I want. Even if they came out with spokes and different colors for 2015, I'd want the deluxe just as it is today. Could have waited for a used deluxe to come on the market but there's something about that new bike smell...
 
Back
Top