Iron Butt Association

mvk24_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Do we have any members that have completed any of the Iron Butt Association challenges? I want to do it on the cb1100 as I'm sure almost noone if any have done it. Those guys are alot of dual sport and adventure bike riders so I'd love to have a certified 24 hour/1000 mile cb1100. If possible keep pushing for the 1500mile/36 hour challenge.

My buddy I tour with alot and I saw a couple enduros with the Iron butt license plates on the way home from a trip 1 last year and decided we would do it. He got to 960 miles on his Victory Octane before he said he would have fell asleep if he went any longer.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
mvk24_imp said:
Do we have any members that have completed any of the Iron Butt Association challenges? I want to do it on the cb1100 as I'm sure almost noone if any have done it. Those guys are alot of dual sport and adventure bike riders so I'd love to have a certified 24 hour/1000 mile cb1100. If possible keep pushing for the 1500mile/36 hour challenge.

My buddy I tour with alot and I saw a couple enduros with the Iron butt license plates on the way home from a trip 1 last year and decided we would do it. He got to 960 miles on his Victory Octane before he said he would have fell asleep if he went any longer.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
I did the SaddleSore 1000 about five years ago on a 2005 Harley Wide Glide. I did about 1100 miles in 19 hours, along with a buddy on a BMW.

In fact, it was after doing the ride on a Harley that I decided I wanted a *smoother* engine and bought the CB1100. I would have no reservations about doing it again on a CB1100.

The CB is gone now, and I'm back on another Harley.

I was 71 years old at the time
 
Thread starter
decarmine_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
Do we have any members that have completed any of the Iron Butt Association challenges? I want to do it on the cb1100 as I'm sure almost noone if any have done it. Those guys are alot of dual sport and adventure bike riders so I'd love to have a certified 24 hour/1000 mile cb1100. If possible keep pushing for the 1500mile/36 hour challenge.

My buddy I tour with alot and I saw a couple enduros with the Iron butt license plates on the way home from a trip 1 last year and decided we would do it. He got to 960 miles on his Victory Octane before he said he would have fell asleep if he went any longer.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
I did the SaddleSore 1000 about five years ago on a 2005 Harley Wide Glide. I did about 1100 miles in 19 hours, along with a buddy on a BMW.

In fact, it was after doing the ride on a Harley that I decided I wanted a *smoother* engine and bought the CB1100. I would have no reservations about doing it again on a CB1100.

The CB is gone now, and I'm back on another Harley.

I was 71 years old at the time
I did the SaddleSore 1000 about five years ago on a 10 year old Harley Wide Glide. I did about 1100 miles in 19 hours, along with a buddy on a BMW.

In fact, it was after doing the ride on a Harley that I decided I wanted a *smoother* engine and bought the CB1100. I would have no reservations about doing it again on a CB1100.

The CB is gone now, and I'm back on another Harley.

I was 71 years old at the time Very cool! Did you do a loop or was it 1000 miles out? I haven't checked the final rules yet. I just know I have to document the miles and gas stops.

I actually fell in love with Indian after riding Harleys when I got on a 2019 chieftain dark horse. Very smooth bike compared to harley also. After riding the 2019 street glide and than the 2019 chieftain back to back. The chieftain was MUCH smoother and felt like it weighed HALF as much as the Harley.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
mvk24_imp said:
Do we have any members that have completed any of the Iron Butt Association challenges? I want to do it on the cb1100 as I'm sure almost noone if any have done it. Those guys are alot of dual sport and adventure bike riders so I'd love to have a certified 24 hour/1000 mile cb1100. If possible keep pushing for the 1500mile/36 hour challenge.

My buddy I tour with alot and I saw a couple enduros with the Iron butt license plates on the way home from a trip 1 last year and decided we would do it. He got to 960 miles on his Victory Octane before he said he would have fell asleep if he went any longer.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
It was a loop -- from Ocala, FL down to Naples, across the state to Ft Lauderdale, north on I-95 to Jacksonville, west on I-10 past Tallahassee, and home to Lecanto. Watched weather maps for several days before deciding *which* day to go...

BIKE I DID IT ON.
366e3bb404bb933e7d04ff3dc42e301c.jpg


BIKE I BOUGHT *AFTER* THE RIDE.
6e71953c3f56aa381b6c95ae5a4c87b7.jpg


BIKE I HAVE NOW.
7d0dd28f2f2d5d5d9777c4df5499f2fa.jpg
 
I've done the SS1000 on my 2013 CB1100 - Circle Tour of Lake Michigan. So, that would be a loop route (with a giant puddle in the middle of the loop). I've done a couple of other long days...500+ miles... on the CB1100 as well. I don't find it uncomfortable over long distances, but I am in the minority in that subject.

I preferred the idea of sleeping in my own bed so I opted for a loop route. The record keeping can be a little (just a bit) problematic for an "out and back" route because the IBA is going to want to verify your turnaround point. Not a big deal, but something to think about.

Lots of folks just hop on their bikes and ride the SS1000. I preferred to have it planned out. I planed for a gas/food/stretch stop about every 100 -120 miles. Others like to push out to 150 or 200 miles (depending on fuel capacity), but i stopped 11 times and finished in 21 hours (if I recall). It's not a race, so if some guy wants to brag that he did the same route as me in 18 hours, that's good on him.

LongRider is just as his screen name describes. He might be able to provide some tips regarding the rules and strategy. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about this with me.

Good luck.
 
Thread starter
decarmine_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
Do we have any members that have completed any of the Iron Butt Association challenges? I want to do it on the cb1100 as I'm sure almost noone if any have done it. Those guys are alot of dual sport and adventure bike riders so I'd love to have a certified 24 hour/1000 mile cb1100. If possible keep pushing for the 1500mile/36 hour challenge.

My buddy I tour with alot and I saw a couple enduros with the Iron butt license plates on the way home from a trip 1 last year and decided we would do it. He got to 960 miles on his Victory Octane before he said he would have fell asleep if he went any longer.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
It was a loop -- from Ocala, FL down to Naples, across the state to Ft Lauderdale, north on I-95 to Jacksonville, west on I-10 past Tallahassee, and home to Lecanto. Watched weather maps for several days before deciding *which* day to go...

BIKE I DID IT ON.
366e3bb404bb933e7d04ff3dc42e301c.jpg


BIKE I BOUGHT *AFTER* THE RIDE.
6e71953c3f56aa381b6c95ae5a4c87b7.jpg


BIKE I HAVE NOW.
7d0dd28f2f2d5d5d9777c4df5499f2fa.jpg
It was a loop -- from Ocala, FL down to Naples, across the state to Ft Lauderdale, north on I-95 to Jacksonville, west on I-10 past Tallahassee, and home to Lecanto. Watched weather maps for several days before deciding *which* day to go...

BIKE I DID IT ON.
3d0358988fe1b35004626c0e8c9d872c.jpg


BIKE I BOUGHT *AFTER* THE RIDE.
da3b49d4a0d4157abaade51fa33bf62c.jpg


BIKE I HAVE NOW.
b0a71578d1d893aa055d81ac012e4cbd.jpg
Gorgeous bike

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
EmptySea_imp said:
I've done the SS1000 on my 2013 CB1100 - Circle Tour of Lake Michigan. So, that would be a loop route (with a giant puddle in the middle of the loop). I've done a couple of other long days...500+ miles... on the CB1100 as well. I don't find it uncomfortable over long distances, but I am in the minority in that subject.

I preferred the idea of sleeping in my own bed so I opted for a loop route. The record keeping can be a little (just a bit) problematic for an "out and back" route because the IBA is going to want to verify your turnaround point. Not a big deal, but something to think about.

Lots of folks just hop on their bikes and ride the SS1000. I preferred to have it planned out. I planed for a gas/food/stretch stop about every 100 -120 miles. Others like to push out to 150 or 200 miles (depending on fuel capacity), but i stopped 11 times and finished in 21 hours (if I recall). It's not a race, so if some guy wants to brag that he did the same route as me in 18 hours, that's good on him.

LongRider is just as his screen name describes. He might be able to provide some tips regarding the rules and strategy. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about this with me.

Good luck.
Thanks I appreciate the info! I also have done alot of 500ish days on the cb and I enjoyed stopping for gas to let the blood flow back to my butt. Thats actually why I changed to the Corbin seat to make it a bit more enjoyable on the long days. But I've done NY to Maine on the 81 kz440 in the past with no wind or face protection so if its got 2 wheels and a motor ill usually ride it anywhere.

I agree it sounds more like a marathon than a sprint and stopping to take a break is important on a 21 hour ride. Im thinking this would be the first day of a larger trip so a loop may not be in the cards if we are going further so I may not have to worry about a turning point. I think I will use the Cali moto app to track my exact path and trip info also as proof.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Doing it as a first leg of a longer trip is not a bad option; you can turn try for your 1500 in 36 hours and, if you fail, it's still possible to have finished the 1000 in 24. Plus, I bet it's kind of cool to wake up an realize that you're 1000 miles from where you woke up the day before and you got there on your motorcycle.

I track with a Spot Gen 3 and use Spotwalla. I use the Scenic app on my phone for navigation and back up tracking. I plot my route on Google Maps and import that into Scenic. I bring a pen (some insist on a pencil) and a small note pad, both of which I keep in a clear pencil case that will hold my receipts. I also take a picture of my receipt with my odometer and clock in the picture for extra back up. Also, remember that if you deviate from the shortest route you will want to document not only gas stops, but the furthest point from that route (a little hard to explain here...the IBA website does a better job of it). Just want to be sure that you can prove that you took the longer route.

Good luck.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
Doing it as a first leg of a longer trip is not a bad option; you can turn try for your 1500 in 36 hours and, if you fail, it's still possible to have finished the 1000 in 24. Plus, I bet it's kind of cool to wake up an realize that you're 1000 miles from where you woke up the day before and you got there on your motorcycle.

I track with a Spot Gen 3 and use Spotwalla. I use the Scenic app on my phone for navigation and back up tracking. I plot my route on Google Maps and import that into Scenic. I bring a pen (some insist on a pencil) and a small note pad, both of which I keep in a clear pencil case that will hold my receipts. I also take a picture of my receipt with my odometer and clock in the picture for extra back up. Also, remember that if you deviate from the shortest route you will want to document not only gas stops, but the furthest point from that route (a little hard to explain here...the IBA website does a better job of it). Just want to be sure that you can prove that you took the longer route.

Good luck.
Thank you, yea I have a spot tracker also but never figured out how to import/export the tracks. I basically just use it for the SOS beacon when I'm hiking for days and take it along on motorcycle trips for the same reason.

The pencil case for receipts is a good idea though!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Have done a couple of IBA rides since 2014, when I discovered IBA.

2015 I did a SS1000 on a CB1100 '13 from Germany to Italy (near Rome). Had really bad weather but my windshield at the CB helped a lot. Fuel capacity of the '13 Model is not really good. It's better with the EX or the newer models.

I never had issues with the seat of the CB. But, well, that might be the iron butt. :biker:
 
I’ve completed six SS1000’s, but none on my CB1100. I’ve also organized eight group SS1000 events, in California and Colorado. My routes were all run on two-lane highways — never on interstates or freeways — and were highly scenic (Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and New Mexico mountain passes, Sierra Nevada scenic byways, etc.). Each event attracted anywhere from 72 to 125 participants, from all over the U.S. At the Finish, we’d host a gala brunch and awards celebration, give out door prizes, hold 50/50’s, etc. Friends and family members were welcome to attend the Finish and it was always a great weekend for all. I’ve not held one since 2015.

At the 2009 event (Denver to Crested Butte, CO), we had an elderly Gold Wing rider who had just completed his third straight SS1000 with us. At the Finish, we celebrated his 80th birthday.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
I’ve completed six SS1000’s, but none on my CB1100. I’ve also organized eight group SS1000 events, in California and Colorado. My routes were all run on two-lane highways — never on interstates or freeways — and were highly scenic (Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and New Mexico mountain passes, Sierra Nevada scenic byways, etc.). Each event attracted anywhere from 72 to 125 participants, from all over the U.S. At the Finish, we’d host a gala brunch and awards celebration, give out door prizes, hold 50/50’s, etc. Friends and family members were welcome to attend the Finish and it was always a great weekend for all. I’ve not held one since 2015.

At the 2009 event (Denver to Crested Butte, CO), we had an elderly Gold Wing rider who had just completed his third straight SS1000 with us. At the Finish, we celebrated his 80th birthday.
That sounds like a blast! Hopefully I'll be back in the southwest by the end of the year. I'll have to keep an eye out for your next event!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I’ve completed six SS1000’s, but none on my CB1100. I’ve also organized eight group SS1000 events, in California and Colorado. My routes were all run on two-lane highways — never on interstates or freeways — and were highly scenic (Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and New Mexico mountain passes, Sierra Nevada scenic byways, etc.). Each event attracted anywhere from 72 to 125 participants, from all over the U.S. At the Finish, we’d host a gala brunch and awards celebration, give out door prizes, hold 50/50’s, etc. Friends and family members were welcome to attend the Finish and it was always a great weekend for all. I’ve not held one since 2015.

At the 2009 event (Denver to Crested Butte, CO), we had an elderly Gold Wing rider who had just completed his third straight SS1000 with us. At the Finish, we celebrated his 80th birthday.
:worship:

I've done 4 SS1000's, but none on the CB1100EX. I think it's definitely doable, but the stock seat would make it a meaningful accomplishment!

My 1st was kind of a loop. Rode 500 miles west from DFW to Sierra Blanca, turned around and rode 500 miles back. Same slab both ways. We didn't know any better and didn't have much craft back then. Wouldn't advise that unless you're just checking a box.

Other 3 were parts of other trips. Craziest was finishing a 3-week trip, riding home from the Sturgis rally on an '04 Harley VROD with a 3-something gallon gas tank. Started in Spearfish, SD at 6 am...14 gas stops later I pulled into the gas station near my home in DFW at 4:30 am. Don't mind having the story to tell to illustrate both what I was able to accomplish and how stupid a sometimes smart person can be in the pursuit of accomplishing something.

Good luck with your planning! It's a fun adventure.
 
Thread starter
TXBikerGuy_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
I’ve completed six SS1000’s, but none on my CB1100. I’ve also organized eight group SS1000 events, in California and Colorado. My routes were all run on two-lane highways — never on interstates or freeways — and were highly scenic (Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and New Mexico mountain passes, Sierra Nevada scenic byways, etc.). Each event attracted anywhere from 72 to 125 participants, from all over the U.S. At the Finish, we’d host a gala brunch and awards celebration, give out door prizes, hold 50/50’s, etc. Friends and family members were welcome to attend the Finish and it was always a great weekend for all. I’ve not held one since 2015.

At the 2009 event (Denver to Crested Butte, CO), we had an elderly Gold Wing rider who had just completed his third straight SS1000 with us. At the Finish, we celebrated his 80th birthday.
:worship:

I've done 4 SS1000's, but none on the CB1100EX. I think it's definitely doable, but the stock seat would make it a meaningful accomplishment!

My 1st was kind of a loop. Rode 500 miles west from DFW to Sierra Blanca, turned around and rode 500 miles back. Same slab both ways. We didn't know any better and didn't have much craft back then. Wouldn't advise that unless you're just checking a box.

Other 3 were parts of other trips. Craziest was finishing a 3-week trip, riding home from the Sturgis rally on an '04 Harley VROD with a 3-something gallon gas tank. Started in Spearfish, SD at 6 am...14 gas stops later I pulled into the gas station near my home in DFW at 4:30 am. Don't mind having the story to tell to illustrate both what I was able to accomplish and how stupid a sometimes smart person can be in the pursuit of accomplishing something.

Good luck with your planning! It's a fun adventure.
:worship:

I've done 4 SS1000's, but none on the CB1100EX. I think it's definitely doable, but the stock seat would make it a meaningful accomplishment!

My 1st was kind of a loop. Rode 500 miles west from DFW to Sierra Blanca, turned around and rode 500 miles back. Same slab both ways. We didn't know any better and didn't have much craft back then. Wouldn't advise that unless you're just checking a box.

Other 3 were parts of other trips. Craziest was finishing a 3-week trip, riding home from the Sturgis rally on an '04 Harley VROD with a 3-something gallon gas tank. Started in Spearfish, SD at 6 am...14 gas stops later I pulled into the gas station near my home in DFW at 4:30 am. Don't mind having the story to tell to illustrate both what I was able to accomplish and how stupid a sometimes smart person can be in the pursuit of accomplishing something.

Good luck with your planning! It's a fun adventure. Haha sounds great! My brother had a Vrod for a short time and it was alot of fun. Wish they have put that high reving motor in a dyna frame.

I've been from El Paso to Roswell and I forget the name of the national park you have to go through but it's nice scenery out that way. Very remote though! Only time I've been to DFW was the airport a few times.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I've done the SS1000 on my 2013 CB1100 - Circle Tour of Lake Michigan. So, that would be a loop route (with a giant puddle in the middle of the loop). I've done a couple of other long days...500+ miles... on the CB1100 as well. I don't find it uncomfortable over long distances, but I am in the minority in that subject.

I preferred the idea of sleeping in my own bed so I opted for a loop route. The record keeping can be a little (just a bit) problematic for an "out and back" route because the IBA is going to want to verify your turnaround point. Not a big deal, but something to think about.

Lots of folks just hop on their bikes and ride the SS1000. I preferred to have it planned out. I planed for a gas/food/stretch stop about every 100 -120 miles. Others like to push out to 150 or 200 miles (depending on fuel capacity), but i stopped 11 times and finished in 21 hours (if I recall). It's not a race, so if some guy wants to brag that he did the same route as me in 18 hours, that's good on him.

LongRider is just as his screen name describes. He might be able to provide some tips regarding the rules and strategy. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about this with me.

Good luck.
Hi Emptysea. Was your 2013 CB1100 stock, or did you do modifications to it that allowed you to accomplish this incredible feat? I can do 400+ mile days (San Diego to Monterey) on my VFR800, but a 200 mile day on my CB1100 is painful - but this was before I installed a Dart fairing, and Ohlins shocks (these shocks make a big difference). After the pain and discomfort I feel during a long ride on the CB1100 I just don't want to attempt it again. I have to admit, most of the discomfort on the CB1100 was due to traveling at 75 - 80 mph on our California freeways.
 
Thread starter
Dave_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
I've done the SS1000 on my 2013 CB1100 - Circle Tour of Lake Michigan. So, that would be a loop route (with a giant puddle in the middle of the loop). I've done a couple of other long days...500+ miles... on the CB1100 as well. I don't find it uncomfortable over long distances, but I am in the minority in that subject.

I preferred the idea of sleeping in my own bed so I opted for a loop route. The record keeping can be a little (just a bit) problematic for an "out and back" route because the IBA is going to want to verify your turnaround point. Not a big deal, but something to think about.

Lots of folks just hop on their bikes and ride the SS1000. I preferred to have it planned out. I planed for a gas/food/stretch stop about every 100 -120 miles. Others like to push out to 150 or 200 miles (depending on fuel capacity), but i stopped 11 times and finished in 21 hours (if I recall). It's not a race, so if some guy wants to brag that he did the same route as me in 18 hours, that's good on him.

LongRider is just as his screen name describes. He might be able to provide some tips regarding the rules and strategy. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about this with me.

Good luck.
Hi Emptysea. Was your 2013 CB1100 stock, or did you do modifications to it that allowed you to accomplish this incredible feat? I can do 400+ mile days (San Diego to Monterey) on my VFR800, but a 200 mile day on my CB1100 is painful - but this was before I installed a Dart fairing, and Ohlins shocks (these shocks make a big difference). After the pain and discomfort I feel during a long ride on the CB1100 I just don't want to attempt it again. I have to admit, most of the discomfort on the CB1100 was due to traveling at 75 - 80 mph on our California freeways.
The biggest difference i found in 500+ days comfort was the lower handlebars. All of the pressure was on my Butt in the stock position.

The lower CB500F bars were low enough that I felt all the strain in my back but not my butt on the second trip.

I added risers (cant remember what size but I could find it for you if you want) to the CB500F bars and now the riding position on my 2014 cb1100 is a good balance of comfort and fatigue across a few spots instead of just 1 area taking all the pain. The Corbin seat was probably the second best comfort upgrade but I haven't done a 500+ day with it yet.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Sea and I rode back together basically non stop from the Arkansas rally in 2017.. 698 miles in 12 hours for me and a few more for Sea on bone stock CB's.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Sea and I rode back together basically non stop from the Arkansas rally in 2017.. 698 miles in 12 hours for me and a few more for Sea on bone stock CB's.
We know Ferret, you're a bada$$!
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Sea and I rode back together basically non stop from the Arkansas rally in 2017.. 698 miles in 12 hours for me and a few more for Sea on bone stock CB's.
Nice!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Sea and I rode back together basically non stop from the Arkansas rally in 2017.. 698 miles in 12 hours for me and a few more for Sea on bone stock CB's.
We know Ferret, you're a bada$$!
We know Ferret, you're a bada$$!
Empty Sea is bad-er. He rides with no shield at all, in lower temps than I do without electrics and rides further in a day. That guy is TOUGH!
 
Hey mvk24, did you ever set about for the SS1000? I'm actively planning my route and knowing this forum is a wealth of information, I thought I'd check in first before solifiying any plans.

MTC-do you have your route available for me to borrow? The "Lake Michigan Circle Tour" sounds like the best idea as I like the 'loop' version of getting back home to sleep in my own bed. Don't mind taking a night off in a hotel, but the urgency of getting back home might be a better motivator to get my 1k miles in 24hrs. Plus the wife prefers that option too haha

Hope you two are well regardless.

Peace and Axle Grease,
Dave
 
Back
Top