Ion lithium batteries

Micahgerv_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Just a quick poll. How do you guys feel about ion-lithium replacement batteries. Obviously OEM is preferred, but I just got a high end ion-lith for my birthday and was wondering what the general consensus was. The research I've done seems to sing high praises and my OEM was toast anyways. The weight difference is amazing honestly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
I think what you’ll find is that a number of members have them and like them and another number of us (me and at least Ferret) go stock OEM. There is discussion of them here and there on the board.

OK, just did a search on Lithum Ion and a bunch of threads came up.
 
You can rightfully feel very pleased with the gift and the thoughtful group behind it.
At this point i believe we are almost at the point of changing to lithium, but some more evaluation is required before i make the decision,( i'm thinking a consistent track record and when perhaps Honda starts putting them in their bikes ) it is very important that the battery has an internal management system that controls the individual cell voltage to prevent runaway for any reason, if that is the case you can look forward to a carefree and reliable battery life , some very positive story's are around and as technology progresses will become the norm.

Personally the lithium stuff has overtaken all other battery tech so far in my case and with some very surprising results in batteries other than in my bike, some really go the distance.
 
General opinion is that IL batteries last longer than acid flooded or AGM, especially in hot climate.
I still have my OEM that was transferred from my "13 to "14 model, so I let "13 model go with newly purchased acid flooded battery.
If OEM fails, I will make my decision to buy one, and is very unlikely to be AGM due experienced short life in automotive business.
The bottom line: as long as it cranks over and lasts 5 seasons, I have no complaints about its type = will not buy cheep, cause costs twice as the good one.
More important to me are i.e. tires than a box with 2 opposite terminals..
 
A wet lead acid can last for decades if properly maintained. Farmers have been doing this. This also implies lead acid are resilient over a very high count of recharges and deep discharges.

AGMs make sense for vehicles that experience constant mechanical events, probably Lion too.

Lion have finite count of recharge cycles.

Lion are higher capacity thus allowing for higher loads in the vehicle. It opens possibilities where lead-based batteries cannot do conveniently.

Lion can be more dangerous under certain circumstances and quality of manufacturer.

Lion are more expensive.

- - -

If your ride was engineered around a 12V AGM or traditional lead acid battery, probably makes the most economical sense keep using the same battery technology.

If your ride has enhanced features that justify a Lion source, then its premium is probably justified.
 
Lead acid will not last decades in Phoenix based on my experience. Shorai had a sale last year so I picked one up but it does NOT have an internal circuit for charging. Picked up a L-Ion battery for my go box battery supply (telescope, ham radio etc.) and it DOES have the extra circuitry. Got it from Batteries Plus and Bulbs. No more Shorai for me.
 
I'm quite happy with my LI battery. See the thread Cormanus posted above.

In another few weeks my battery will have survived 4 years of regular use here in the desert. I've never had a lead/acid battery go longer than three. The main advantage (for me, and other desert dwellers) is that the LI battery doesn't suffer the short life typical of lead/acid batteries in extreme heat.

I just wish I could get one for my truck and my plane.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
I'm quite happy with my LI battery. See the thread Cormanus posted above.

In another few weeks my battery will have survived 4 years of regular use here in the desert. I've never had a lead/acid battery go longer than three. The main advantage (for me, and other desert dwellers) is that the LI battery doesn't suffer the short life typical of lead/acid batteries in extreme heat.

I just wish I could get one for my truck and my plane.

OT Would love to see a pic of your plane ;)

On Topic; I have LiIon batteries in two of my Kawa’s since three or four years.
Best thing of it is that they don’t have the problem of loosing acid while warm temperatures and while charging. Also think about when acid level is low and Bike is on the side stand. Then parts of the Anodes (cathodes?) get dry. Also if one put the bike in winter storage you’ll never have the issue of refilling the cells.
AND no rust around the battery compartment.

When the lead battery of my GPX will get weak I also replace it by a
LiIon :biker:
 
MaFiHa_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
I'm quite happy with my LI battery. See the thread Cormanus posted above.

In another few weeks my battery will have survived 4 years of regular use here in the desert. I've never had a lead/acid battery go longer than three. The main advantage (for me, and other desert dwellers) is that the LI battery doesn't suffer the short life typical of lead/acid batteries in extreme heat.

I just wish I could get one for my truck and my plane.

OT Would love to see a pic of your plane ;)

On Topic; I have LiIon batteries in two of my Kawa’s since three or four years.
Best thing of it is that they don’t have the problem of loosing acid while warm temperatures and while charging. Also think about when acid level is low and Bike is on the side stand. Then parts of the Anodes (cathodes?) get dry. Also if one put the bike in winter storage you’ll never have the issue of refilling the cells.
AND no rust around the battery compartment.

When the lead battery of my GPX will get weak I also replace it by a
LiIon :biker:

OT Would love to see a pic of your plane ;)

On Topic; I have LiIon batteries in two of my Kawa’s since three or four years.
Best thing of it is that they don’t have the problem of loosing acid while warm temperatures and while charging. Also think about when acid level is low and Bike is on the side stand. Then parts of the Anodes (cathodes?) get dry. Also if one put the bike in winter storage you’ll never have the issue of refilling the cells.
AND no rust around the battery compartment.

When the lead battery of my GPX will get weak I also replace it by a
LiIon :biker: With an AGM batterie you do not have the problems you mention.
MaFiHa_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
I'm quite happy with my LI battery. See the thread Cormanus posted above.

In another few weeks my battery will have survived 4 years of regular use here in the desert. I've never had a lead/acid battery go longer than three. The main advantage (for me, and other desert dwellers) is that the LI battery doesn't suffer the short life typical of lead/acid batteries in extreme heat.

I just wish I could get one for my truck and my plane.

OT Would love to see a pic of your plane ;)

On Topic; I have LiIon batteries in two of my Kawa’s since three or four years.
Best thing of it is that they don’t have the problem of loosing acid while warm temperatures and while charging. Also think about when acid level is low and Bike is on the side stand. Then parts of the Anodes (cathodes?) get dry. Also if one put the bike in winter storage you’ll never have the issue of refilling the cells.
AND no rust around the battery compartment.

When the lead battery of my GPX will get weak I also replace it by a
LiIon :biker:

OT Would love to see a pic of your plane ;)

On Topic; I have LiIon batteries in two of my Kawa’s since three or four years.
Best thing of it is that they don’t have the problem of loosing acid while warm temperatures and while charging. Also think about when acid level is low and Bike is on the side stand. Then parts of the Anodes (cathodes?) get dry. Also if one put the bike in winter storage you’ll never have the issue of refilling the cells.
AND no rust around the battery compartment.

When the lead battery of my GPX will get weak I also replace it by a
LiIon :biker: With an AGM batterie you do not have the problems you mention.
 
Rboe_imp said:
Lead acid will not last decades in Phoenix based on my experience. Shorai had a sale last year so I picked one up but it does NOT have an internal circuit for charging. Picked up a L-Ion battery for my go box battery supply (telescope, ham radio etc.) and it DOES have the extra circuitry. Got it from Batteries Plus and Bulbs. No more Shorai for me.
Maybe so. Wet lead acid batteries do need top-up of water and/or acid from time-to-time. Maybe the dryness of the desert-like regions are harsher?
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
Lead acid will not last decades in Phoenix based on my experience. Shorai had a sale last year so I picked one up but it does NOT have an internal circuit for charging. Picked up a L-Ion battery for my go box battery supply (telescope, ham radio etc.) and it DOES have the extra circuitry. Got it from Batteries Plus and Bulbs. No more Shorai for me.
Maybe so. Wet lead acid batteries do need top-up of water and/or acid from time-to-time. Maybe the dryness of the desert-like regions are harsher?
It's not a lack of electrolyte solution, it's mostly the battery chemistry. Lead/acid batteries will accept more charging current as the temperature increases. Charging and discharging at higher ambient temperatures tends to increase the amount of lead sulfate that is deposited on the outer surface of the plates. This premature buildup of corrosion on the plates is what ultimately kills the battery before its time.
MaFiHa_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
I'm quite happy with my LI battery. See the thread Cormanus posted above.

In another few weeks my battery will have survived 4 years of regular use here in the desert. I've never had a lead/acid battery go longer than three. The main advantage (for me, and other desert dwellers) is that the LI battery doesn't suffer the short life typical of lead/acid batteries in extreme heat.

I just wish I could get one for my truck and my plane.

OT Would love to see a pic of your plane ;)

On Topic; I have LiIon batteries in two of my Kawa’s since three or four years.
Best thing of it is that they don’t have the problem of loosing acid while warm temperatures and while charging. Also think about when acid level is low and Bike is on the side stand. Then parts of the Anodes (cathodes?) get dry. Also if one put the bike in winter storage you’ll never have the issue of refilling the cells.
AND no rust around the battery compartment.

When the lead battery of my GPX will get weak I also replace it by a
LiIon :biker:
Here you go! When I travel on the CB, I tend to stick to the pavement. This is my off road transportation. :D

6cc17c4c13ef3ffd04137de8f77da6b4.jpg
 
Nice plane! I put a lot of gas in those things when I was a line boy right out of high school. Worked at the Hilton Head airport. Wasn’t much back then but got a lot of traffic and high end planes. Fun times!

My dad flew Aero Commanders for a living. Are you multi engine rated?
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Nice plane! I put a lot of gas in those things when I was a line boy right out of high school. Worked at the Hilton Head airport. Wasn’t much back then but got a lot of traffic and high end planes. Fun times!

My dad flew Aero Commanders for a living. Are you multi engine rated?
I'll bet you really liked the low wings. No ladder required to fuel :D

I'm not multi rated. Much like my motorcycles, I like my planes to be simple and relatively inexpensive to operate. I just fly for personal transportation. I've had offers, but I always thought that doing it for a living would take some of the fun out of it. :P
 
Flynrider_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
Lead acid will not last decades in Phoenix based on my experience. Shorai had a sale last year so I picked one up but it does NOT have an internal circuit for charging. Picked up a L-Ion battery for my go box battery supply (telescope, ham radio etc.) and it DOES have the extra circuitry. Got it from Batteries Plus and Bulbs. No more Shorai for me.
Maybe so. Wet lead acid batteries do need top-up of water and/or acid from time-to-time. Maybe the dryness of the desert-like regions are harsher?
It's not a lack of electrolyte solution, it's mostly the battery chemistry. Lead/acid batteries will accept more charging current as the temperature increases. Charging and discharging at higher ambient temperatures tends to increase the amount of lead sulfate that is deposited on the outer surface of the plates. This premature buildup of corrosion on the plates is what ultimately kills the battery before its time.
MaFiHa_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
I'm quite happy with my LI battery. See the thread Cormanus posted above.

In another few weeks my battery will have survived 4 years of regular use here in the desert. I've never had a lead/acid battery go longer than three. The main advantage (for me, and other desert dwellers) is that the LI battery doesn't suffer the short life typical of lead/acid batteries in extreme heat.

I just wish I could get one for my truck and my plane.

OT Would love to see a pic of your plane ;)

On Topic; I have LiIon batteries in two of my Kawa’s since three or four years.
Best thing of it is that they don’t have the problem of loosing acid while warm temperatures and while charging. Also think about when acid level is low and Bike is on the side stand. Then parts of the Anodes (cathodes?) get dry. Also if one put the bike in winter storage you’ll never have the issue of refilling the cells.
AND no rust around the battery compartment.

When the lead battery of my GPX will get weak I also replace it by a
LiIon :biker:
Here you go! When I travel on the CB, I tend to stick to the pavement. This is my off road transportation. :D

6cc17c4c13ef3ffd04137de8f77da6b4.jpg
MaFiHa_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
I'm quite happy with my LI battery. See the thread Cormanus posted above.

In another few weeks my battery will have survived 4 years of regular use here in the desert. I've never had a lead/acid battery go longer than three. The main advantage (for me, and other desert dwellers) is that the LI battery doesn't suffer the short life typical of lead/acid batteries in extreme heat.

I just wish I could get one for my truck and my plane.

OT Would love to see a pic of your plane ;)

On Topic; I have LiIon batteries in two of my Kawa’s since three or four years.
Best thing of it is that they don’t have the problem of loosing acid while warm temperatures and while charging. Also think about when acid level is low and Bike is on the side stand. Then parts of the Anodes (cathodes?) get dry. Also if one put the bike in winter storage you’ll never have the issue of refilling the cells.
AND no rust around the battery compartment.

When the lead battery of my GPX will get weak I also replace it by a
LiIon :biker:
Here you go! When I travel on the CB, I tend to stick to the pavement. This is my off road transportation. :D

07b6bb890e92267557c07025535c0842.jpg

Flynrider_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Nice plane! I put a lot of gas in those things when I was a line boy right out of high school. Worked at the Hilton Head airport. Wasn’t much back then but got a lot of traffic and high end planes. Fun times!

My dad flew Aero Commanders for a living. Are you multi engine rated?
I'll bet you really liked the low wings. No ladder required to fuel :D

I'm not multi rated. Much like my motorcycles, I like my planes to be simple and relatively inexpensive to operate. I just fly for personal transportation. I've had offers, but I always thought that doing it for a living would take some of the fun out of it. :P
I'll bet you really liked the low wings. No ladder required to fuel :D
I'm not multi rated. Much like my motorcycles, I like my planes to be simple and relatively inexpensive to operate. I just fly for personal transportation. I've had offers, but I always thought that doing it for a living would take some of the fun out of it. :P
...and this one already has a newly rebuilt engine, except propeller :P:P
:D
 
Flynrider_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
Lead acid will not last decades in Phoenix based on my experience. Shorai had a sale last year so I picked one up but it does NOT have an internal circuit for charging. Picked up a L-Ion battery for my go box battery supply (telescope, ham radio etc.) and it DOES have the extra circuitry. Got it from Batteries Plus and Bulbs. No more Shorai for me.
Maybe so. Wet lead acid batteries do need top-up of water and/or acid from time-to-time. Maybe the dryness of the desert-like regions are harsher?
It's not a lack of electrolyte solution, it's mostly the battery chemistry. Lead/acid batteries will accept more charging current as the temperature increases. Charging and discharging at higher ambient temperatures tends to increase the amount of lead sulfate that is deposited on the outer surface of the plates. This premature buildup of corrosion on the plates is what ultimately kills the battery before its time.
MaFiHa_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
I'm quite happy with my LI battery. See the thread Cormanus posted above.

In another few weeks my battery will have survived 4 years of regular use here in the desert. I've never had a lead/acid battery go longer than three. The main advantage (for me, and other desert dwellers) is that the LI battery doesn't suffer the short life typical of lead/acid batteries in extreme heat.

I just wish I could get one for my truck and my plane.

OT Would love to see a pic of your plane ;)

On Topic; I have LiIon batteries in two of my Kawa’s since three or four years.
Best thing of it is that they don’t have the problem of loosing acid while warm temperatures and while charging. Also think about when acid level is low and Bike is on the side stand. Then parts of the Anodes (cathodes?) get dry. Also if one put the bike in winter storage you’ll never have the issue of refilling the cells.
AND no rust around the battery compartment.

When the lead battery of my GPX will get weak I also replace it by a
LiIon :biker:
Here you go! When I travel on the CB, I tend to stick to the pavement. This is my off road transportation. :D

6cc17c4c13ef3ffd04137de8f77da6b4.jpg
Makes sense. All batteries prefer cold to retard the redux reaction.

Flynrider_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
Lead acid will not last decades in Phoenix based on my experience. Shorai had a sale last year so I picked one up but it does NOT have an internal circuit for charging. Picked up a L-Ion battery for my go box battery supply (telescope, ham radio etc.) and it DOES have the extra circuitry. Got it from Batteries Plus and Bulbs. No more Shorai for me.
Maybe so. Wet lead acid batteries do need top-up of water and/or acid from time-to-time. Maybe the dryness of the desert-like regions are harsher?
It's not a lack of electrolyte solution, it's mostly the battery chemistry. Lead/acid batteries will accept more charging current as the temperature increases. Charging and discharging at higher ambient temperatures tends to increase the amount of lead sulfate that is deposited on the outer surface of the plates. This premature buildup of corrosion on the plates is what ultimately kills the battery before its time.
MaFiHa_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
I'm quite happy with my LI battery. See the thread Cormanus posted above.

In another few weeks my battery will have survived 4 years of regular use here in the desert. I've never had a lead/acid battery go longer than three. The main advantage (for me, and other desert dwellers) is that the LI battery doesn't suffer the short life typical of lead/acid batteries in extreme heat.

I just wish I could get one for my truck and my plane.

OT Would love to see a pic of your plane ;)

On Topic; I have LiIon batteries in two of my Kawa’s since three or four years.
Best thing of it is that they don’t have the problem of loosing acid while warm temperatures and while charging. Also think about when acid level is low and Bike is on the side stand. Then parts of the Anodes (cathodes?) get dry. Also if one put the bike in winter storage you’ll never have the issue of refilling the cells.
AND no rust around the battery compartment.

When the lead battery of my GPX will get weak I also replace it by a
LiIon :biker:
Here you go! When I travel on the CB, I tend to stick to the pavement. This is my off road transportation. :D

6cc17c4c13ef3ffd04137de8f77da6b4.jpg
Nice setting for the wings FnR.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
Lead acid will not last decades in Phoenix based on my experience. Shorai had a sale last year so I picked one up but it does NOT have an internal circuit for charging. Picked up a L-Ion battery for my go box battery supply (telescope, ham radio etc.) and it DOES have the extra circuitry. Got it from Batteries Plus and Bulbs. No more Shorai for me.
Maybe so. Wet lead acid batteries do need top-up of water and/or acid from time-to-time. Maybe the dryness of the desert-like regions are harsher?
It's not a lack of electrolyte solution, it's mostly the battery chemistry. Lead/acid batteries will accept more charging current as the temperature increases. Charging and discharging at higher ambient temperatures tends to increase the amount of lead sulfate that is deposited on the outer surface of the plates. This premature buildup of corrosion on the plates is what ultimately kills the battery before its time.
MaFiHa_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
I'm quite happy with my LI battery. See the thread Cormanus posted above.

In another few weeks my battery will have survived 4 years of regular use here in the desert. I've never had a lead/acid battery go longer than three. The main advantage (for me, and other desert dwellers) is that the LI battery doesn't suffer the short life typical of lead/acid batteries in extreme heat.

I just wish I could get one for my truck and my plane.

OT Would love to see a pic of your plane ;)

On Topic; I have LiIon batteries in two of my Kawa’s since three or four years.
Best thing of it is that they don’t have the problem of loosing acid while warm temperatures and while charging. Also think about when acid level is low and Bike is on the side stand. Then parts of the Anodes (cathodes?) get dry. Also if one put the bike in winter storage you’ll never have the issue of refilling the cells.
AND no rust around the battery compartment.

When the lead battery of my GPX will get weak I also replace it by a
LiIon :biker:
Here you go! When I travel on the CB, I tend to stick to the pavement. This is my off road transportation. :D

6cc17c4c13ef3ffd04137de8f77da6b4.jpg
It's not a lack of electrolyte solution, it's mostly the battery chemistry. Lead/acid batteries will accept more charging current as the temperature increases. Charging and discharging at higher ambient temperatures tends to increase the amount of lead sulfate that is deposited on the outer surface of the plates. This premature buildup of corrosion on the plates is what ultimately kills the battery before its time.
MaFiHa_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
I'm quite happy with my LI battery. See the thread Cormanus posted above.

In another few weeks my battery will have survived 4 years of regular use here in the desert. I've never had a lead/acid battery go longer than three. The main advantage (for me, and other desert dwellers) is that the LI battery doesn't suffer the short life typical of lead/acid batteries in extreme heat.

I just wish I could get one for my truck and my plane.

OT Would love to see a pic of your plane ;)

On Topic; I have LiIon batteries in two of my Kawa’s since three or four years.
Best thing of it is that they don’t have the problem of loosing acid while warm temperatures and while charging. Also think about when acid level is low and Bike is on the side stand. Then parts of the Anodes (cathodes?) get dry. Also if one put the bike in winter storage you’ll never have the issue of refilling the cells.
AND no rust around the battery compartment.

When the lead battery of my GPX will get weak I also replace it by a
LiIon :biker:
Here you go! When I travel on the CB, I tend to stick to the pavement. This is my off road transportation. :D

2625ff4631bcb4427b1d59b5a1ab4972.jpg

Thank you :worship:
I like that "Off Road"-thing :celebrate:
 
Back
Top