International Motorcycle Show - Chicago 2/13-2/15

emptysea

Road warrior
Thread starter
Who's going?

I'll be there Friday evening. Can't wait to check out the new Ducati models....oh and the bikes are nice, too.
 
My local Ducati dealer is having an open house next Friday and will have the new Scrambler and Multi on display. I am hoping to get over there for a peek.

I would love to attend one of the big shows some day. It's on my gear head bucket list like the NAIAS and SEMA
 
If you go on Saturday instead, you stand a better chance of getting a closer inspection of the Ducati models. Just bring a box of chocolates and a bouquet of flowers. Of course, when I say "a better chance," I mean it goes from 1% to 1.5%.

Be sure to hit up the Honda guys and see if they have an update on the release of 2015 CB1100. The person I spoke with when they were in Long Beach had no idea. There was just one CB1100 DLX on the show floor. But when I was there, it was getting plenty of attention from the crowd.

I love the idea of adventure bikes but have never really been drawn to them or imagined myself an owner of one. But KTM has some amazing models that made me think, "Wow...I could definitely see that in my garage." I was excited to see the Ducati Scrambler up close but when I finally did, I was not impressed. I felt just the opposite with the BMW R nine T. Seeing it in photos and reading about it online, I thought it was a nice bike but wasn't overly thrilled by it. Seeing it in person, however, I was struck with how great of a design it is and the technology that it possesses. Photos don't do it justice.

Oh, and those other Ducati models...where do they find them?! One came up to me, holding an iPad, and asked if I'd be interested in signing up to receive information regarding the Scrambler. She did this is as I was looking over the Scramblers and thinking to myself, "Hmmm...so disappointing." My response - "Oh, uh, huh? Uh, yeah, sure. Okay." Thank God she hadn't asked if I'd be willing to lie down on the convention center floor to be run over repeatedly by the Ducati Monster 1200 to demonstrate the effectiveness of its suspension. I fear my answer would have been the same.
 
If you can find the composure to actually engage one of those models in conversation, you will find that for the most part, they are local talent, they don't travel as part of the show. And they also know very little about the bikes they are showcasing. At least I think that's what they were supposed to showcase.
 
Thread starter
So...a) When I first read MG's post I wondered if "looking over the Scramblers" was some sorta Cali-phrase for "staring at her chest". b) I'm too old to be a threat to the models and the models are too young to be a threat to my wife, so it's easy enough to talk to them, even though I will be at the show with my wife. Usually, my only fear is that, after laughing politely at one of my jokes, they will tell me that I remind them of their father. (Although, that usually gets a nice laugh from Cheryl.)
 
Haha! Fantastic post MTC. I can't wait to use the line, "Look at the scramblers on that one!" Which, undoubtedly, will result in a quick slap to the back of my head from the missus. Somehow, I think she'll still be able to put two and two together.
 
Flying back from Fl. Friday night to Chicago ,staying over to go to
the show on Sat.. then back to Wi. Hope to take some pictures.
 
Thread starter
d8bb2da44c7b3eff4261eb33a1c587d7.jpg


e75c2be0a86f63409c963e9aeabd167e.jpg


bdb9742229e50a05a6707601ccc73015.jpg


Wow! A touring bike with less than 1200CCs. Whoda thunkit? ;)
 
I so wish I had bought one of those naked wings. Just beautiful!
 
Thread starter
I think she liked the Victory
7cc88466c36a202982b0eedef9ebb337.jpg


Not the Scout quite as much (Although, the boots coordinated nicely)
ee74d3acc94df854bc25fe5dcae72b71.jpg


Clearly didn't care for the NM4. "Too weird"
fb95ff7425061bfb26f2562091136c56.jpg
 
I was surprised how small the Scout was.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I so wish I had bought one of those naked wings. Just beautiful!
I saw the same bike at the NYC show. I must have been in a trance, my son kept saying: "Dad...Dad...Dad" and then I noticed I was drooling.
 
Early naked Wings were beauties. I test rode the first year model, it was a gorgeous red, and what a revelation. Could not believe how smooth and powerful it was. I see them on Craig's List in my area on occasion but they usually look a bit beat up for the price.
Just noticed the Scout pictured has no switches or hand controls. Must be a new automated version that you ride by mind control.
 
Lol didn't even notice, was looking how well Cheryl's boots matched the seat.
 
Ole_imp said:
No mirrors on the Scout?
Brakes? Clutch?
Somebody steal/borrow them?
Noticed that, and t-handle wrenches sticking out of the top clamps. Assume it was setup to allow folks to easily move the bars fore and aft, without levers, cables, hoses, etc. hindering movement.
 
Back
Top