Interesting reading

ClassicVW has given us the wonderful term "Captain Obvious". I now apologise if I'm taking on the role, but it's worth popping up a level on this website to here, Honda Motor Co.,Ltd.|Honda Global Corporate Website

There's more discussion about the CB1100, some of which we've seen before.

Thanks InsolentSquid. It was a great link.
 
Cormanus,

We have a TV commercial here that has a character called Captain Obvious who wears a Captain Crunch like outfit. I don't remember what the product sold is though.
 
Wow, thanks for the read !

Some years back I was commiserating with a Harley owner about how one is excited to get their new bike but as time rolls by you start to notice that certain parts are not as nice or well finished as other parts and you start looking at the 'phone book' Harley accessories catalogue for 'solutions' to that plain zinc cast turn signal mount.
With the CB1100, the experience is exactly the OPPOSITE. Over time you notice that little things are way better than what you would have expected.
I only recently just noticed how the shift lever is so lovingly polished and chromed, or the attention to the detail of the knurled brake pedal foot pad. Wow ! they went out of their way to make these parts really nice...

The stock CB1100 experience is BETTER than the stock Harley experience, and it's NO accident !
 
You're right. When I've added a farkle or two, ;) I'm staring at a particular part of the bike and I'm always thinking to myself, "They really made this piece look nice." So many times on other machines, the parts are manufactured with little thought to making them look nice too.

I have to add, that it's the only bike in the past 10 years that I wasn't looking to enlarge the shift or the rear brake levers.
 
furious_blue_imp said:
Wow, thanks for the read !

Some years back I was commiserating with a Harley owner about how one is excited to get their new bike but as time rolls by you start to notice that certain parts are not as nice or well finished as other parts and you start looking at the 'phone book' Harley accessories catalogue for 'solutions' to that plain zinc cast turn signal mount.
With the CB1100, the experience is exactly the OPPOSITE. Over time you notice that little things are way better than what you would have expected.
I only recently just noticed how the shift lever is so lovingly polished and chromed, or the attention to the detail of the knurled brake pedal foot pad. Wow ! they went out of their way to make these parts really nice...

The stock CB1100 experience is BETTER than the stock Harley experience, and it's NO accident !
Ah geez, ain't love grand! :)

Cheers
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Cormanus,

We have a TV commercial here that has a character called Captain Obvious who wears a Captain Crunch like outfit. I don't remember what the product sold is though.
A marketing executive just woke up from a horrible nightmare...only to find his sheets covered in blood and the severed head of "Capt'n Obvious" lying on the foot of his bed.
 
I should probably just sell my bike because I've changed some parts and want to change some more. Quick, remove those rubber end thingies.
 
kevbroce_imp said:
I should probably just sell my bike because I've changed some parts and want to change some more. Quick, remove those rubber end thingies.
that's probably how they'll lure people over to the '15 models:

"Now, has RLETs as Standard equipment ! Come and get it !"
 
gossman_imp said:
Seems that everyone wants to change pipes, gear ratios, and add power commanders to get worse mileage, less efficiency, and more noise all for a minimal bump in HP. These motorcycles were designed for a certain purpose, if you want a big sportbike, then get the CBR1000. When I had my metric cruiser, it seems everyone was debadging, pulling baffles or exchanging the OEM pipes for V&A then screwing around with a PC so that they could sound like a Harley. They aren't, and the engine life expectancy was reduced. Buy the bike you want or get an old carb bike and build it up. If you want taller gears and less vibration (vibration on a motorcycle, how odd?) sell your '13 and get a '14. I researched both and decided on the '13 as long as I could find an ABS model. I drive the speed limit and that is 65mph in these parts.
This.
 
kevbroce_imp said:
I should probably just sell my bike because I've changed some parts and want to change some more. Quick, remove those rubber end thingies.
Naw, it's just how people are. Mine will be a rare classic since I rarely ever change out or mod anything:) but if people were all like me we would all still be stuck on eastern hemisphere.

Keep modding and posting pics, I do enjoy looking at them:thumbsup:
 
Has anyone seen a comparable website or similar engineering reviews like the pages linked here for other Honda bikes? I've seen "mini-sites" for other bikes, but nothing with close to the depth of the CB's coverage.

I expect the target audience was initially Japan (the first version was published before the bike was sold in the US). Is the website a measure of how the CB redux is an important representation of core Honda culture and history?
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
Has anyone seen a comparable website or similar engineering reviews like the pages linked here for other Honda bikes? I've seen "mini-sites" for other bikes, but nothing with close to the depth of the CB's coverage.

I expect the target audience was initially Japan (the first version was published before the bike was sold in the US). Is the website a measure of how the CB redux is an important representation of core Honda culture and history?
Yes interesting, and often illuminating. However it's worth remembering it's Honda talking, not an independent assessment of the design process. Some moments of creative fantasy therein. For instance if they were looking for "a deep rumble" it would seem to me they never found it. A silky, sewing machine like purr, yep I'll go along with that. But, having said that, I love the bike, it's a beauty.

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
Has anyone seen a comparable website or similar engineering reviews like the pages linked here for other Honda bikes? I've seen "mini-sites" for other bikes, but nothing with close to the depth of the CB's coverage.

I expect the target audience was initially Japan (the first version was published before the bike was sold in the US). Is the website a measure of how the CB redux is an important representation of core Honda culture and history?
Yes interesting, and often illuminating. However it's worth remembering it's Honda talking, not an independent assessment of the design process. Some moments of creative fantasy therein. For instance if they were looking for "a deep rumble" it would seem to me they never found it. A silky, sewing machine like purr, yep I'll go along with that. But, having said that, I love the bike, it's a beauty.

Cheers
Very true, and worth pointing out. I haven't quite connected on that "deep rumble" claim either. When you can hear the engine sounds over the exhaust noise it's definitely NOT a "rumble."

I will say having the OEM system back on the past several days has been interesting. There's a minor loss in how quickly the engine will wind up to redline, and cruising at 90 isn't quite as effortless as it was with the 2Bros kit. But every other operating mode is so much better I don't see myself putting the 2Bros back on. Unless of course some Harley fags show up and I need to make some noise.
 
I dont think you can " hear" the grumble or growl as much as you can feel it. Hard to explain but right between 2800 and 3200 thee is a courseness or vibe to the bike that os diffferent above and below that rev range.

You might not ride much in that range Spaceman. My bike has never seen 90 lol
 
gossman_imp said:
:) mine barely see's 65mph
LOL I hear ya, the VAST majority of my riding is backroads between 45 and 60 mph
 
that was a great read
this bike was engineered for me
an old fart
am going to buy another dirt bike soon
hoping Honda will stuff that little 300 thumper in to the CRF
but the CB11 stays in the garage
 
Back
Top