Scoobynut_imp
Been there
Thread starter
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Haha, I had a similar thought too. I mean all you have to do is look at the bikes and it's pretty easy to decide.Chapomis_imp said:I would say that the ad sold more Honda's than Triumph's.

Probably true. The Honda four, which was new AND compact and stylish, was revolutionary at the time. As opposed to the Triumph triple - which isn't so obvious in the ad.Chapomis_imp said:I would say that the ad sold more Honda's than Triumph's.
JustPassin, I didn't realize they were under the British Leyland umbrella at the time. That explains a lot. It's sad really, I liked British vehicles back in the day -- I lived the first 8 years of my life in England as an Air Force brat -- and loved many of their cars. It's just too bad they didn't invest anything to compete with modern products.JustPassinThru_imp said:Triumph was desperate.
At the time, Triumph had been part of the new British Leyland conglomerate - a collection of unprofitable vehicle manufacturers merged together at the behest of the ruling Labour Party government. With untenable costs; and nationalized by 1975.
Morale was in the dumper. Quality control was an alien concept at any of the BL plants. While Honda and other Japanese companies were setting new heights of manufacturing quality.
MAYBE Triumph had a superior design. I had never looked closely at one. They certainly had the tradition.
It wasn't enough. The Honda was, hands down, the superior product. And the memory of Triumph in its nadir, still stays - I wouldn't trust a Bonneville, even though, by style and design, it appeals to me.
Well said. Couldn't agree more.The ferret_imp said:I like them both. I'm an expert enthusiast![]()
So true!redbirds_imp said:I remember that ad. Check out the "ATGATT".


JustPassin, I didn't realize they were under the British Leyland umbrella at the time. That explains a lot. It's sad really, I liked British vehicles back in the day -- I lived the first 8 years of my life in England as an Air Force brat -- and loved many of their cars. It's just too bad they didn't invest anything to compete with modern products.Scoobynut_imp said:JustPassin, I didn't realize they were under the British Leyland umbrella at the time. That explains a lot. It's sad really, I liked British vehicles back in the day -- I lived the first 8 years of my life in England as an Air Force brat -- and loved many of their cars. It's just too bad they didn't invest anything to compete with modern products.JustPassinThru_imp said:Triumph was desperate.
At the time, Triumph had been part of the new British Leyland conglomerate - a collection of unprofitable vehicle manufacturers merged together at the behest of the ruling Labour Party government. With untenable costs; and nationalized by 1975.
Morale was in the dumper. Quality control was an alien concept at any of the BL plants. While Honda and other Japanese companies were setting new heights of manufacturing quality.
MAYBE Triumph had a superior design. I had never looked closely at one. They certainly had the tradition.
It wasn't enough. The Honda was, hands down, the superior product. And the memory of Triumph in its nadir, still stays - I wouldn't trust a Bonneville, even though, by style and design, it appeals to me.
Yes and yes. An interesting time. Triumph (motorcycles) was taken over/merged with BSA, Norton Villers and Arial at one time or another.Scoobynut_imp said:Pterodactyl, so it was just Triumph automobiles that were merged into British Leyland? Didn't Triumph motorcycle merge with BSA -- and possibly others -- at one point as they circled the wagons under the Japanese onslaught?
Anyone who was really an "expert" would have known that the quality of the CB was in a different universe.A Brit UJM (or UBM?). Looks like it would have competed directly with the Kaw Z-1. I think that would have solved the modernization issue, but I have a feeling that the quality control issues would have still killed them.The ferret_imp said:The Triumph handled superbly compared to the Honda, and they had similar top speeds however the Honda had a 5 speed box and the Trident a 4 speed box, but more importantly the Honda had an electric started which Triumph didn't get until 1975... Way too late to save Triumph.
BTW little known, by 1973 Triumph had a 1000cc 4 cyl in prototype form called the Quadrant ( actually quite an attractive motorcycle) but it never made it to production.
True, the Triumph frame was more than adequate. But a Triumph engine in the Norton featherbed frame gave rise to the legendary Triton. A formidable racer and, in some guises, one of the most evocative looking motorcycles of all time. A great performer at the TT.The ferret_imp said:The Triumph handled superbly compared to the Honda, and they had similar top speeds however the Honda had a 5 speed box and the Trident a 4 speed box, but more importantly the Honda had an electric started which Triumph didn't get until 1975... Way too late to save Triumph.
BTW little known, by 1973 Triumph had a 1000cc 4 cyl in prototype form called the Quadrant ( actually quite an attractive motorcycle) but it never made it to production.
A Brit UJM (or UBM?). Looks like it would have competed directly with the Kaw Z-1. I think that would have solved the modernization issue, but I have a feeling that the quality control issues would have still killed them.Flynrider_imp said:A Brit UJM (or UBM?). Looks like it would have competed directly with the Kaw Z-1. I think that would have solved the modernization issue, but I have a feeling that the quality control issues would have still killed them.The ferret_imp said:The Triumph handled superbly compared to the Honda, and they had similar top speeds however the Honda had a 5 speed box and the Trident a 4 speed box, but more importantly the Honda had an electric started which Triumph didn't get until 1975... Way too late to save Triumph.
BTW little known, by 1973 Triumph had a 1000cc 4 cyl in prototype form called the Quadrant ( actually quite an attractive motorcycle) but it never made it to production.
![]()