Insurance info

Romo1969_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hey team CB
Wanted to share I got a rate I thought was pretty good from progressive who I've always had my bikes with. 417 for the year with replacement guarantee.
Maybe you all have done better bit I thought that was a solid rate and the replacment value is msrp of current model year not Bluebook. This is huge since the KBB kills this bike value in the 1st couple years.
Current kbb would suck for most of us.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I was really surprised at the quote I received on the used '13 I just bought. It was actually higher than my BMW K1300S (which, if you're not familiar, is a 175 horsepower "hypersport" category machine with a full fairing. It's a 2009, but it's still worth more than the CB). I've done business with the agency for a while now, and in fact their rate on the BMW is quite good...but I was really surprised. I mean, c'mon: How many losses can they possibly be having on these bikes?

The agent told me that he double-checked the quote and it was correct. This is what he said: "Looking at the quote what I see is the Insurance Rating Group (IRG) is REALLY high. This correlates to the cost of parts for a particular vehicle/bike. For some reason, it is higher than the BMW. That tells me the parts for this bike are either: A) less readily available than the others—therefore some supply/demand issues apply or B) more expensive strictly due to some reason that I don’t understand (possibly because it’s a well-made bike with higher quality components)."

Anyway...maybe others can shed light, but that sounds fishy to me.
 
I got a very very good quote from a local independent; found out it did not cover uninsured/under insured. Once that was factored in (a relatively cheap addition via State Farm) the savings went away for the most part.

In Phoenix about 25% of the drivers are uninsured so to go without it was folly. Highly recommend that you look into that for your area.
 
Pechorin, I think you company has quoted the bike on the same risk category as a CBR. Progressive did that to me when the bike arrived; my quote went from $2k a year to $350 once they put it in the right group.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
Pechorin, I think you company has quoted the bike on the same risk category as a CBR. Progressive did that to me when the bike arrived; my quote went from $2k a year to $350 once they put it in the right group.
This happened to me too. Once I showed the agent it was NOT a CBR, all was good.
 
Rboe_imp said:
I got a very very good quote from a local independent; found out it did not cover uninsured/under insured. Once that was factored in (a relatively cheap addition via State Farm) the savings went away for the most part.

In Phoenix about 25% of the drivers are uninsured so to go without it was folly. Highly recommend that you look into that for your area.
Having lived in Arizona for 18 years, I think your 25% is a little low... it is higher than that...

yes anywhere you go there are the ones without the insurance, as there are bikers without the motorcycle endorsement on their license, so it would be a good idea to ensure that you do get the uninsured/under insured coverage. In my opinion well worth it!
 
I explained at some length what kind of bike it is (and isn't), but maybe that's something the company--rather than the agent--has to figure out. Anyway, maybe I shouldn't be complaining ...the quote was $430/year, which isn't all that bad compared with $350 (the K13S is $414, which I consider quite reasonable for that bike). This is State Farm, btw.
 
I have full coverage for a price a 15 % higher than romo in CA as an inexperienced rider. includes multi policy discount, good driver, age and MSF course discounts.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Another thing I had happen was the price "I" found on Progressives website myself was over a $100 cheaper per year than the dealer was looking at all their policies…maybe they were trying to tack on their fee?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
And its not just the final price, its what you get for that price.
------------------------
About $500 from Progressive.

Policy coverages
Bodily Injury & Property Damage: $250,000 person/$500,000 accident/$100,000 property damage
Uninsured/ Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury & Uninsured Motorist Property Damage: $250,000 person/$500,000 accident/$100,000 property damage
Personal Injury Protection: $15,000 person/$30,000 accident ($1,000 ded) R
Medical Payments: No coverage
Transport Trailer: No coverage
Vehicle coverages for 2013 HONDA CB1100
Physical Damage Options: Total Loss Coverage
Comprehensive: $500 deductible
Collision: $500 deductible
Disappearing Deductibles: Selected
Roadside Assistance: Selected
Accessory coverage: $3,000 (Included)
 
Geico charged me just over $500 my first year. I thought my high rate was because of my 2012 speeding ticket for 6mph over.
My policy renews in April for $100 less. IMO, It's still too high.

When I insured my 2002 919 in spring of '02, Progressive rate was $425ish. The following year, it dropped to $210. The third year, it went down to $130ish.

02 was the first year for the 919 so I've heard that the lack of accident statistics was the reason for the high rate.

I was hoping for a larger decrease this year, but a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks.
 
What kind of coverage limits are these policies at? I'm finding that I can get a policy as cheap as $197/yr or as much as $733/yr.

I carry a 500k CSL on my auto policy.
 
I'm an independent agent in upstate ny and have found my rate for the cb came in at 180.00 per year. I have my policy with progressive but I have a totally clear record with good credit and I have 4 bikes on my policy. total policy is under 300.00 a year with full coverage on everything. each state have different premiums and different coverages (due to different laws) and within each state are different territories. in my instance I live in upstate ny quite rural as apposed to new York city certainly urban, my rate could be three times as much if I lived in ny city. a couple of thoughts though. uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage is very important to the motorcyclist (if someone puts you down you "will" be injured) buy as much as you can afford if your state offers it. also important is medical payments. in ny state it is mandatory on an auto policy (and called personal injury protection) but "not" on a motorcycle policy, it is optional. purchase as much as you can afford even if you have health ins. always talk to your agent they are a wealth of information and will advise what coverages are available to you in your area
 
I pay about $650 from Allstate in California. I think I could do a little better in price and/or coverage. I should maybe shop around.
 
I also have Allstate here in WV. Full coverage on my 2013 with uninsured motorist, increased amounts over minimums and being an older rider, runs me $175 a year. They do carry my auto (3 cars & a 4wd truck) as well as my home owners.
 
I'm in Michigan with Progressive and I'm paying $790/year. Boy do I feel like a fool. I have a clean driving record, older rider. I'd better check the details and see where the devil is. The only positive thought is that it is going to get better.

Thanks for sharing everyone, this is obviously helpful, albeit humbling.
 
Wow. This is quite a standard deviation in rates so far. Sounds like our friendly insurance companies are counting on us NOT getting together and comparing notes!

I shopped around to Progressive, Allstate, State Farm, Farmers and one cut rate insurance company whose name escapes me now. All were in the same ballpark for full coverage except the cut rate proposal. I chose to go with Farmers because they carry most of my policies and the service is good.
 
You should expect large disparities in policies costs since things like coverage amounts, location, coverage options and driving records pretty much combine to make the premium. That's a lot of variables.

In my case I have liability-only at 100K/250K. The straight liability policy would only cost around $30 yr., but the un/underinsured motorist coverage spikes it to $300. That's to be expected in a border state with a lot of uninsured (and unlicensed) drivers. My zip code is particularly bad in this respect.

Oddly enough, my CB750 policy has the same limits, but only costs half as much. When comparing the two, there is still the same big bump in the price for un/underinsured, but all of the amounts are about 1/2 as much as the CB11's policy. I've never figured out why the insurance company would double the liability price on the CB11 policy, when the bikes are so similar. I would think liability-wise, the CB11 should be less risky due to it's improved suspension and brakes. Go figure. (BTW, both bikes are with Progressive, for the time being).
 
I was with Allstate but switched after my policy expired. It was three times as much as my Nighthawk not because it was a decade newer, but simply because of the CB designation. Because of that they say it is a sportbike with a big engine and charge more. I went with Progressive and saved almost $300 a year for full coverage.
 
Correction, mine is actually $560 a year for this coverage on my CB1100.
from Progressive.

Policy coverages
Bodily Injury & Property Damage: $250,000 person/$500,000 accident/$100,000 property damage
Uninsured/ Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury & Uninsured Motorist Property Damage: $250,000 person/$500,000 accident/$100,000 property damage
Personal Injury Protection: $15,000 person/$30,000 accident ($1,000 ded) R
Medical Payments: No coverage
Transport Trailer: No coverage
Vehicle coverages for 2013 HONDA CB1100
Physical Damage Options: Total Loss Coverage
Comprehensive: $500 deductible
Collision: $500 deductible
Disappearing Deductibles: Selected
Roadside Assistance: Selected
Accessory coverage: $3,000 (Included)
 
Back
Top