Inseam length

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Guys all the time say they have a 29,30, 32,34,36 (pick one) inseam. When I was in the clothing business from 1969-1971, we measured men for suits and the "inseam" measurement was from the crotch to the ankle bone, down the inside of one leg. (Usually left leg ffor some reason unknown to me). One could have a 30 1/4" inseam for example, when measured for a suit. So to me that has always been the inseam.

Now if you go crotch to ground that would of course be longer, especially if you were wearing shoes, or wearing boots and not in stocking feet.

If you go by the size of blue jeans you wear, that could be anything as most jeans are only measured in even inch sizes (waist and length) and they don't make certain lengths for certain waists. For example I wear a 36 X 30 jeans, but only because they don't make 36 x 28 jeans. Even a 28" length jean would pile up on top of my boots some. The 30's I could roll up like a Hipster but I just let them pile up.

So how do you figure your inseam when talking on a motorcycle forum?
 
I go by my pants size. I have to order 31x36 on line, no one seems to stock them. sigh. Sometimes I use 32x36. If the gut has gotten out of hand.

Inseam is a much better metric when talking about a bike fitting you vs. your over all height. This does not take into account arm length either - but it's much more reliable for a starting point than your height. Both are really useful together. Weight can be useful too as a generous bum will make you taller in the seat (more critical in a car) and I think will make your feet shorter (perhaps the extra mass will increase the sag enough to compensate? Not sure).
 
I wear 34 x 34 pants and am having a heck of a time finding that size for riding pants. Anything with a 34 waist rides halfway up my calf while riding.
 
When I buy my trousers/pants in the UK, I get 38 waist, 31 inside leg - that's what it says on the label. I've never actually measured the length, just gone with what I know fits.

36/27 everyday jeans are readily available too ferret, just in case your passing, as are 34/34 riding jeans KE, tested to 75mph too.
 
Thread starter
Blockhead_imp said:
You can tell it’s late winter by the topics of some of these threads lately (no pun intended) haha...

I wear a 36x30...
Well I see it in threads on every forum

"I buy this size windshield because I have a 34" inseam". "If I had a 30" inseam I could ride this kind of bike." " I have this kind of seat but then I have a 32" inseam YMMV." etc etc

I just wondered if everyone was on the same page when it came to inseams and where it came from.

No one ever says I have a 32 1/2" inseam. :-/
 
Rboe_imp said:
I go by my pants size. I have to order 31x36 on line, no one seems to stock them. sigh. Sometimes I use 32x36. If the gut has gotten out of hand.

Inseam is a much better metric when talking about a bike fitting you vs. your over all height. This does not take into account arm length either - but it's much more reliable for a starting point than your height. Both are really useful together. Weight can be useful too as a generous bum will make you taller in the seat (more critical in a car) and I think will make your feet shorter (perhaps the extra mass will increase the sag enough to compensate? Not sure).
(+1) I will add I use this metric for my Forum convenience. More importantly for me, the inseam must be such so it doesn't "flood", and doesn't "drag" on the ground when wearing a standard walking/riding boot.
 
If I’m talking about how gear fits, I generally refer to my best fitting pant size which is 32” inseam. Measured to the anklebone I’m at 31” - but that’s not a particularly useful size!
 
The ferret_imp said:
Guys all the time say they have a 29,30, 32,34,36 (pick one) inseam. When I was in the clothing business from 1969-1971, we measured men for suits and the "inseam" measurement was from the crotch to the ankle bone, down the inside of one leg. (Usually left leg ffor some reason unknown to me). One could have a 30 1/4" inseam for example, when measured for a suit. So to me that has always been the inseam.

Now if you go crotch to ground that would of course be longer, especially if you were wearing shoes, or wearing boots and not in stocking feet.

If you go by the size of blue jeans you wear, that could be anything as most jeans are only measured in even inch sizes (waist and length) and they don't make certain lengths for certain waists. For example I wear a 36 X 30 jeans, but only because they don't make 36 x 28 jeans. Even a 28" length jean would pile up on top of my boots some. The 30's I could roll up like a Hipster but I just let them pile up.

So how do you figure your inseam when talking on a motorcycle forum?
I go by my jeans size when I posted up my inseam, and my size is 32 x 29.
I buy that odd size through Levi's b/c they sells jeans in every conceivable size (aa x yy)

Ferret, click on Levi's Jeans link below, and then click on "select a size". then scroll down to 36x29, ---->there's your size, for $39.

Levi's Jeans

oopps, just saw your inseam's 28...never mind, levi's don't list one for that inseam.
 
Thread starter
Yep, tough to find. Sometimes I see them in a catalog from Cabela's or LL Bean but can't find them in a store anywhere. The ones I have on at the moment are LL Beans 36x29. My store bought's are 36 x 30's.
 
I use my jean size: 36x34. The riding pants I bought from Klim fit perfectly in that size. They have an adjustable waist for umm...layering clothing...yeah...that's it. Klim seems to go with a more relaxed fit, like the jeans I wear, instead of a race leather fit.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Yep, tough to find. Sometimes I see them in a catalog from Cabela's or LL Bean but can't find them in a store anywhere. The ones I have on at the moment are LL Beans 36x29. My store bought's are 36 x 30's.
Same for me ferret. I take my 36 x 30 jeans to a lady that does alterations and get them cut to 28 inseam. Duluth Trading Co is another source for 36 x 28 jeans.
 
I wear Diamond Gusset Kevlar-lined riding jeans that you can order by inseam and waist size. I'm "in between" for both inseam and waist size so this is a great option for me.
 
Back
Top