In Defense of the CB1100

Flytech99_imp said:
I think riders are drawn to the CB for a variety of different reasons; however, all out sport performance is definitely (or should) not be one of them. I do believe the RS version will blur the line a bit, but no amount of looks-fast parts or trademarked acronym forks will overcome a near 550 lb curb weight and steel cradle frame. Please don't interpret that as a criticism, I'm only highlighting a reality....

To me, the CB1100 is a rock-solid, classy standard with a killer aesthetic that is truly heritage based. In America, that is a genre of motorcycle that has been lacking until the past few years. Unfortunately, that is also a market section that most people describe with terms like boring, slow, old, etc.... Not exactly encouraging for manufacturers to offer more variety to fill such a void.

I was hopeful the RS would come to the U.S. I even waited for the Kawasaki Z900RS to materialize, but in the end I had no problem deciding a used 2014 DLX was going to be just fine for me!
 
147196a3079a4b200c92344dd4134c65.jpg
 
Anything can be wheelied. Doug Domokos used to ride around on the back wheel of a Kawasaki Voyager 1300 6 cylinder.
 
My buddy at the Honda dealership where I used to work wheelied everything in the store, including Gold Wings, Valkyries, Shadows....even Silver Wing scooters. That guy could probably wheely your Prius.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Anything can be wheelied. Doug Domokos used to ride around on the back wheel of a Kawasaki Voyager 1300 6 cylinder.
Now that guy was entertaining! I saw him a few times when I was young.
 
Me too. Watched his high wire wheelie act at the Del Mar Mile about 20 years ago. It was amazing. Evel Knievel was there too, giving a talk to the crowd. Poor guy was hobbled. Both of 'em -- RIP.
 
He'd ride around the entire motocross course at Red Bud (near Buchanan, Michigan) on one wheel to keep the crowds entertained between races. Good stuff!
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
Nicely written observations and opinions. I really like the look of the RS but believe it has strayed significantly from the classic lines that attracted me to the '14 std. To my eye, it has joined the likes of the RnineT, another bike that I admire greatly, but not one I find to be classically beautiful. I find the '10 to '14 CB1100 to have timeless design while it seems the RS has become just another muscular naked bike; albeit an attractive one. I'm confident that I'd love riding the RS as much as I love riding my '14 std, but when the novelty wore off, I'd enjoy looking at the '14 more.
:beerchug:I'm 100% with you...
 
Back
Top