In Defense of the CB1100

Ulvetanna_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
There’s been some debate over whether the CB1100 is truly a sportbike, as Honda’s North American website states. This struggle in identity politics is not just among CB1100 owners; it also exists in the motorcycle press, and apparently Honda have noted this and decided to remedy the confusion.

The newest version of the CB1100, the CB1100RS, is undoubtedly a sportbike, or more accurately, a “sport heritage” motorcycle. It’s another iteration of a great machine, and not unwelcome nor unexpected by anyone who loves motorcycles and does not require a litmus test in order to appreciate a particular machine.

Even so, some of the comments about the CB1100 family found in the motorcycle press immediately following the Intermot revelations of the new RS model are instructive. One reviewer claimed the original 2013 was “boring” and another stated he never really learned to “love” the CB1100. The first of these pundits asked for someone who owned a CB1100 to “chime in”. Well, I’m your huckleberry.

As most members of this forum know, the CB1100 is a bike that satisfies the broadest need for motorcycling; it delivers a very satisfying ride under just about every conceivable set of circumstances. There are guys who do the long days and longer weekends. There are those who commute. Some have customized their bikes with some pretty interesting modifications: paint, intake and exhaust changes, wheels, suspension, handlebars, and so on. It’s a bike that inspires a surprising amount of loyalty and continuing interest in owners who understand motorcycling in its essential form.

The newest version, the RS, takes the CB1100 platform in a new visual direction; the bike is primarily a styling exercise, and should get the results Honda wants, which are sales. Many of the changes to the bike are cosmetic, and even those that appear to be mechanical or technology-driven are going to be either neutral or perhaps even detrimental to the bike’s handling and performance, as compared to the original standard model. They are very, very cool, however.

Some have said Honda lifted the racing stripe theme on the tank from Ducati, but that’s not so. Racing stripes has been around a long time; they were first used by the American Briggs Cunningham on his team cars, and first appeared on a production vehicle in 1965, on Ford’s GT350 Mustang. If the stripes are American, the rest of the bike is pure Honda, and it’s not boring in the least. In fact, the bike suggests the same kind of excitement about the ownership experience as that ‘65 Mustang. That year, Ford and Carroll Shelby reworked the existing Mustang to turn it into a production sports car. It had a small, but potent V-8 engine and much-upgraded suspension and brakes, along with a few other very nice bits to make it a car a driver could really love. While it did not actually handle like a true racing car (as the ads claimed) it was exceptionally fun to drive and made for a great everyday vehicle as well as a heck of a conversation-starter.

I think that description fits the CB1100RS perfectly.

It’s not a Ducati, or a Triumph, and thus avoids the problem of pretense; it’s a reflection of Honda’s original mission in 1969, when the company studied the Ford Mustang and other smaller American sports cars and created the 750 Four, a two-wheeled analog to those much-loved and extremely popular vehicles. Honda has remained true to its roots and its purpose with the RS; they have not adopted a concealed version of liquid-cooling to get more power from the engine, instead retaining a genuine air-cooled inline four-cylinder, which - for a Honda - is the most essential element in the package. Without that central feature the bike might be what some like to call a “poser bike”. No aspect of the RS, like the rest of the CB1100 family, is rendered for cosmetic purposes without the requisite, traditional function.

This strategy is purposeful; there have been several articles in the motorcycle press recently which roundly castigate “fake stuff” on motorcycles: cooling fins, air scoops, phony covers, and the like. The new CB, if anything, is even more authentic than either the Standard or the Deluxe. The new aluminum tank is without pressed seams, a more costly but crafty build. The beefy swingarm, also aluminum, is not cosmetic and reduces unsprung weight. Slender, light twin pipes grace the steel frame nicely, and get the job done while satisfying current noise and emissions standards. Most owners will probably leave them alone.

The rest of the technological changes are purely performance-oriented and in perfect accord with the mission of the 1965 GT350, which is also the mission of the 2017 CB1100RS: to create a highly-stylish (not stylized) road-going vehicle with a lot of magnetic personality, and enough tech bits to allow the owner to comfortably and rightly believe that “it’s in there” even if those bits don’t really change the riding experience much.

Some of them will, though, and perhaps not for the better; the extremely wide wheels and tires are going to dramatically alter the CB1100RS’s handling compared to the standard, narrow 18” components fitted to the current Deluxe and all previous models. One of the things the CB1100 is known for is the very light, nearly effortless handling once the bike starts rolling beyond a walking speed. It’s extremely agile, particularly for its weight, equally capable on the open road at speed as it is in urban traffic.

The 17” wheels will change all that. The wide tires place the contact patch at a considerable distance from the centerline of the bike when leaned into a turn, and this requires a change in riding style, with increased effort at the bars and more tendency to stand up while trail-braking into a turn. Honda has shortened the wheelbase and reduced both rake and trail to compensate for this, but these things will reduce stability to some degree, robbing the bike of that nice, planted feeling one gets while zipping along at an indicated 80 mph. Not that it will be unstable, just different, with higher-effort steering under some circumstances. The trade-off in being able to fit a practically unlimited selection of tires -- from touring to outright production racing tires -- may offset this to some extent. But the wheel and tire changes are mainly a cosmetic tactic; not fakery, but a fitment of overkill components to satisfy that need to know “it’s in there” for the kind of buyer who wants it.

Some of the other changes, like the slipper clutch, are warranted with this kind of a “sport heritage” build. A bike with the CB’s heavy flywheel and big powerplant has a lot of engine braking inertia, and the slipper clutch -- although hardly needed with a machine built for broad torque -- imparts another layer of safety for the cadre of newer riders that will undoubtedly be drawn to this bike. Like ABS, it’s just one more thing that could prevent a lockup of the rear tire.

The brakes on the existing CB1100 were, and are, outstanding, but the new fork is surely far better for backroad scratching. Since the fork is new, why not fit radially-mounted calipers into the bargain? They don’t help the performance of the brakes in any meaningful way, but they’re easier to remove and replace and they contribute mightily to the purposeful, performance-driven visual mission of the bike.

The truth here is that Honda have in fact managed to gild the lily. While a well-set-up 2013 CB1100 Standard will likely dispatch backroads as well or better than the new RS version, it does not impress in either the parking lot or the garage like the RS will. The new RS is compact, aggressive, and muscular, and conveys that classic roadster look upon first glance. And the closer one gets, the more purposeful and appealing the bike becomes. None of the dazzle turns to glitz; it’s all there for a reason. Honda contemplated this build carefully from the ground up and it shows. If you own an RS, no old geezers are going to come up to your bike and point out flaws, faults, or foibles. The bike is true to form and function. There is not a hair out of place, nor a fly to be seen in the ointment nor a monkey wrench in the works. This is not a simulation, but the real deal. Visually, it’s bad to the bone, but with the same 89 horsepower on tap and a broader spread of torque, it’ll be even more user-friendly.

This is a bike that Honda just had to build, to remind anyone who's paying attention just where they started and where they are now, and lots of us have been along for the ride. As a companion to the CB1100RS, we also have the new CBR1000RR SP2 with which to bookend Honda’s impressive motorsports history; one of each in the garage might be just about right.
 
U,

Nice write up.

Once you change out the stock rubber ( which will be the negative feedback once its reviewed) with a set of PP3's or similar the bike will flick better than all older versions.

It just seems Honda copied what other aftermarket companies have been doing for 4 years. When you look at the bike with exception of the tank we have seen all these changes.

If they where having trouble creating HP due to regulatory emissions restrictions they should have bumped it to a 1250CC and the tags could have remained the same. There has to be a difference in power between these two models..

Most people are happy with 80 RWH but thats not what the RS is or should be about, thats why the have the EX. They missed the boat IMO. They would have had a hot seller (i would have been interested with 115 @ the crank) had they bumped HP enough to catch the attention of the market. [/QUOTE]

I hope its a hit for the company and this forum, I just don't see enough change to bring in a different group of buyers.
 
What Rocky said!
 
"It’s not a Ducati, or a Triumph, and thus avoids the problem of pretense." That's pretty funny. Honda makes the Sabre and Interstate. 20 different Harley copycats. The CTX1300. And the NM Vulture thing. No pretense in Honda- land there.

Nice POV, but no need to defend what you ride, nor demean what anyone else rides or why they choose to...or for that matter, take umbrage with what moto- journalists opinions are. They aren't far off base, in general about the CB1100, especially based on it's competition and the market response to it.

As for comparing this bike to a Shelby. OK. The CB/RS will be over 550 lbs and have mid- 80's BHP. They'll likely price it so that it languishes after the initial rush. It sure looks good, but in that nobody has ridden one yet, probably premature to anoint it. Like the current CB, it will no doubt capture the look of it's ancestors, without the hassle of classic ownership. I'm pulling for it, but wouldn't buy one.
 
Welcome back Ulve, we wondered where you ran off to.

I wonder if Honda piggy back shocks are the quality of say top shelf piggy back shocks or if they are mainly for looks. I'm already reading complaints ( not from anyone who has ridden one mind you) that Honda should have gone with USD forks on it, or at least quality cartridge forks instead of the two valve thingy thtas supposed to act like a cartridge fork.

Also wonderings if, to go along with its sporty looks, if it has had the rev limiters and speed limiter removed or if it's still going to only run 112 mph. Or is it all just lipstick on a pig.

We all love the CB1100, but for it to be universally accepted its going to have to be lighter and faster than current offerings and at least as capable as a Thruxton or R9T. We will just have to wait and see.
 
:) Great post and thoughtfully worded.
I like this: Quote:This is a bike that Honda just had to build, to remind anyone who's paying attention just where they started and where they are now, and lots of us have been along for the ride.
I think this iteration will sell better.
 
Well written post. I'm a newbie CB owner, I'm old, fat and slow so the CB is the perfect ride for me at this stage in my life. BTDT as far as the sport bike thing goes. Had a 2012 BMW S1000RR with all the goodies. Reality check I couldn't use 10 percent of what it could do. :biker:
 
Good read and agree 100%.

At 56 years young, I have L4-5 problems and I am looking to improve my riding days. My K4 Gixxer 1K and 1988 Hurricane 1K are not being kind to my back, so this RS is the ticket for me. I was waiting for a good looking Neo-retro bike, plus I like Honda quality, reliability, fit and finish.
My days of being hunch over hugging a gas tank are over and better ergo's are in at this stage.
Only hope this bike makes it to the USA.
BTW, great forum.
 
Nicely written observations and opinions. I really like the look of the RS but believe it has strayed significantly from the classic lines that attracted me to the '14 std. To my eye, it has joined the likes of the RnineT, another bike that I admire greatly, but not one I find to be classically beautiful. I find the '10 to '14 CB1100 to have timeless design while it seems the RS has become just another muscular naked bike; albeit an attractive one. I'm confident that I'd love riding the RS as much as I love riding my '14 std, but when the novelty wore off, I'd enjoy looking at the '14 more.
 
Will have to wait for an actual ride. Before I bought the CB I test rode the Bonnie T100 and Guzzi V7. On paper the spec's had the Bonnie kicking the bum of the V7. Once ridden, the V7 had a much bigger grin factor (if a bit small for my lanky frame - I've said all this before so insert broken record smiley here).

So I'd prefer a ride and the opinions of folks that have ridden them. The spec's say one thing, let's see what the bike says.
 
Nice piece, Ulvetanna. You raise some interesting points. I'm with your comment that the CB1100 is a 'sports heritage' bike rather than a fully fledged sportster. Let's face it, sports bikes have evolved considerably since 1969. I can't see it appealing to the I-need-to-lean-right-forward-over-the-tank-behind-the-full-fairing-and-it-isn't-worth-riding-if-it-doesn't-make-257+hp set. Everything you say is a clear reminder that different bikes appeal to different people and there's little you can do to change their minds.

I hope the new CB1100RS is sent to the US and Australia along with the EX and some clever marketing and that it sells.
 
I'm glad they went this direction. I would prefer inverted forks and same color side covers or maybe a retro paint scheme . I like the standard size wheels and tires and the better suspension and so on. It would be nice to get rid of the speed limiter and wake the motor up a bit. If I wanted a true 1979 CB750 I would look for one on eBay. I like retro style with technology from the year I'm actually living in.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
I don't mind the air cooled motor and the styling of it, that looks great. Someone mentioned that it looks too much like a BMW nineT . Our bike was actually in a comparison shoot out with the BMW and the griso on motorcycle.com. I love the looks of those two other bikes as well and wished they went more to that direction, now it looks as if they are.


Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
I was keen on getting an old naked Goldwing; until I bought the CB AND rode my buddies naked Wing. Ha! That experience ripped off the rose coloured glasses. This CB scratches the retro itch while offering the comfort and performance of a modern bike.

It's a nice sporty Thunderbird. It's not a Mustang or Camero. It's a very nice Standard, not a crotch rocket, designed for us old timers to ride comfortably and easily so we can remain in the wind. I'd say it is what it is and if you want more of something then you are looking at the wrong bike (or if you are fortunate, have a second or third bike that will scratch those other itches).
 
Sam Mac_imp said:
Well written post. I'm a newbie CB owner, I'm old, fat and slow so the CB is the perfect ride for me at this stage in my life. BTDT as far as the sport bike thing goes. Had a 2012 BMW S1000RR with all the goodies. Reality check I couldn't use 10 percent of what it could do. :biker:
I experienced similar rides on a Yamaha FZ-09 before I bought my CB1100 EX. Rode all day on some of my favourite roads. The bike was light, nimble, had good torque and brakes. But I seldom got beyond 3rd gear while riding enthusiastically on the twisty roads. On the highway 6th gear was never needed. The motor is overkill for anything other than track days, wheelies and hooliganism.

The looks of the FZ are not my cup of tea. But I understand is was not made for that purpose, or my age group. Premium priced gas and poor gas mileage did not bother me either, as it was not designed as a cruiser or touring motorcycle. But am I sure the insurance premiums would have.
 
I think riders are drawn to the CB for a variety of different reasons; however, all out sport performance is definitely (or should) not be one of them. I do believe the RS version will blur the line a bit, but no amount of looks-fast parts or trademarked acronym forks will overcome a near 550 lb curb weight and steel cradle frame. Please don't interpret that as a criticism, I'm only highlighting a reality....

To me, the CB1100 is a rock-solid, classy standard with a killer aesthetic that is truly heritage based. In America, that is a genre of motorcycle that has been lacking until the past few years. Unfortunately, that is also a market section that most people describe with terms like boring, slow, old, etc.... Not exactly encouraging for manufacturers to offer more variety to fill such a void.

I was hopeful the RS would come to the U.S. I even waited for the Kawasaki Z900RS to materialize, but in the end I had no problem deciding a used 2014 DLX was going to be just fine for me!
 
Thread starter
Flytech99_imp said:
I think riders are drawn to the CB for a variety of different reasons; however, all out sport performance is definitely (or should) not be one of them. I do believe the RS version will blur the line a bit, but no amount of looks-fast parts or trademarked acronym forks will overcome a near 550 lb curb weight and steel cradle frame. Please don't interpret that as a criticism, I'm only highlighting a reality....

To me, the CB1100 is a rock-solid, classy standard with a killer aesthetic that is truly heritage based. In America, that is a genre of motorcycle that has been lacking until the past few years. Unfortunately, that is also a market section that most people describe with terms like boring, slow, old, etc.... Not exactly encouraging for manufacturers to offer more variety to fill such a void.

I was hopeful the RS would come to the U.S. I even waited for the Kawasaki Z900RS to materialize, but in the end I had no problem deciding a used 2014 DLX was going to be just fine for me!
You absolutely made the right decision.:thumbsup:
 
Back
Top