In case you're curious, exhaust material

kDiqq_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
So I was gonna start fabricating my exhaust, but naturally I need to know the content of the steel. So I figured I'd bust out my $35k Niton Analyzer and hit it with some X-rays! Turns out the entire stock system is 304 stainless.

Also, the Niton isn't mine.. but I had one at work! Cool, right?

d4d2e914ada8fd5fb1ccc40df72f4249.jpg


0c28626a54e15dcab56305968eb61a7d.jpg


Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
I actually didn't either! I got turned down on analyzing more materials though haha! I guess inspection needed it more than I do.

Here we use it for two main purposes. One is stock identification if there is a mix up, but the main purpose is identifying chemistry in our forgings. Reports within a 95% confidence interval! Only thing we can't find out is carbon content...

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
As a follow-up, this is the main reason I'm not getting rid of my factory header. Its here, it's cheap, it just needs the cat deleted to be a hot rod header. Luckily for us, deleting the cat just 'extends' the collector. And after that, I have myself a nice 304 header with thick wall tubing. Oh and it's not located across the world haha! Anyone else need a cat delete?? :D

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
 
They had essentially the same tool at KSC when I worked there in the '80's. The only difference was that it rolled around in a cart the size of an airport luggage wagon. Amazing how far they've come with it since then.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
They had essentially the same tool at KSC when I worked there in the '80's. The only difference was that it rolled around in a cart the size of an airport luggage wagon. Amazing how far they've come with it since then.

Ah yes, sadly in the Colonel's declining years, he often forgot the secret recipe, and you had to go back to a previous batch to recover it.
 
Back
Top