Impressions from a Longer Ride

metallyguitarded_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
The bad news is that I had to come into the office today to get some work done. The good news is that the normally 10-mile commute turned into a 100-mile commute. I went through some local winding roads that lead into the mountains then took the freeway back to downtown. This was the longest ride I've done so far on my CB. Here are a few of my impressions:

First and foremost, I love this motorcycle more and more every time I get on it. I could put it into 3rd gear and leave it there and still have plenty of pull when the corners got tight and I needed to slow things down then, of course, as the corners opened up there was just smooth, effortless acceleration. Of course, I didn't just leave in 3rd. I played around with other engine speeds and in the end, believe the gearing and low-end torque make this an incredibly easy bike to ride.

On the big sweepers, it felt securely planted and didn't take much effort at the bar or with the throttle to get her back up and going straight. In the tighter corners, I felt a little uneasy but only because I'm still learning the limits of this bike and establishing my comfort level. I'm used to my VFR which has better suspension and tires. Until I get those dialed in on the CB along with more time in the saddle, I'll continue to be conservative on the tight turns. I'm not sure I trust the stock rubber and the suspension feels so stiff that I'm concerned with losing contact at deeper lean angles.

The stock seat had my butt a little numb within the first 50 miles but not terribly uncomfortable. I was certainly ready to get off and stretch once I made it to the office though! Another thing I noticed is a fair amount of vibration through the bars. Both hands were noticeably numb and tingling (Can hands be both numb and tingling? I suppose so - where they weren't tingling, they were numb!). I ride with a pretty relaxed grip so I'm confident it's not from gripping too tightly. I put some after market bar ends on the VFR that helped a lot. I might have to add some to the CB. They are these: http://www.vibranator.com/default.asp I haven't checked to see if they make ones compatible with our bikes yet.

I mentioned the suspension already. Too stiff in it's stock setting. It looks like I have one more tooth I can adjust on the rear shocks. I'll do that and see how much that helps. At least until I can upgrade to something like the Ikons. And I'll have to investigate what my options are for up front.

I go back and forth on whether I should get a small fairing up front. I like the looks of the Road Comet available on Samurider's website. The wind blast coming back on the freeway was pretty intense. But at lower, around town or back road speeds, I really enjoy feeling the wind. I'm hoping the Road Comet is good compromise. Not too much protection but enough to make the longer jaunts on the freeway more tolerable.

Overall, I give my new CB a 8.5 out of 10. Once I get the suspension, saddle, vibration and possibly wind issues addressed, she'll definitely be in the 9's. What a great bike! With so much potential to become even greater!
 
What part of CA are you in?
 
The stock seat got better for me as it broke in. I had in mind to buy a Sargent upgrade but now that it's broke in I can do a tank full without discomfort.
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
The stock seat got better for me as it broke in. I had in mind to buy a Sargent upgrade but now that it's broke in I can do a tank full without discomfort.
That's great to hear! I'll give it some time before I drop a few hundred dollars on another seat. I'm eyeballing the Corbin which I had on my very first motorcycle. I loved it. Sargent seems to be the preferred after market seat for the guys over at the VFRW forum. I tried (admittedly, not too hard) to see if Sargent made one for the CB but couldn't find one. I'll have to give it a real look. I'm not too confident the stock seat will break-in to my liking. I fear it's already too soft. I've found that the stiffer seats actually provide better long range comfort. But, fingers are crossed! Let's see how it goes.
 
I had Sargent seat make me a seat on my seat pan and am pretty happy. They give discounts in their off season. We have long winters up here so it works out. You have to really study their web page on all their custom seat section.
 
I think you'll be surprised that the Honda bar ends look very much like the Vibranators you're considering. The Honda units are about 6-7" long with a reasonable weight on the end. I know this because I removed mine to install Salamander weights. I did this only because I wanted to use a pair of Rizoma bar-end mirrors I had from a previous bike. (I hated those stock elephant ears that showed great views of my elbows.) Anyway, Salamander offers bar-end adapters for their weights & it made a great combination of a better view, much better looks and enabled me to keep bar-end weights. I didn't notice any difference in vibration, which on my 14 DLX is pretty smooth. Oh yea, wait until you try to drag those Honda weights out of the bars !! Rocket
 
redbirds_imp said:
The stock seat got better for me as it broke in. I had in mind to buy a Sargent upgrade but now that it's broke in I can do a tank full without discomfort.
Noticing that on mine, as well. First 300 miles I thought there was no way I was keeping the stock seat. The next 300 miles were much better, so here is hoping comfort continues to come with time.
 
Thread starter
DGShannon_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
The stock seat got better for me as it broke in. I had in mind to buy a Sargent upgrade but now that it's broke in I can do a tank full without discomfort.
Noticing that on mine, as well. First 300 miles I thought there was no way I was keeping the stock seat. The next 300 miles were much better, so here is hoping comfort continues to come with time.
Noticing that on mine, as well. First 300 miles I thought there was no way I was keeping the stock seat. The next 300 miles were much better, so here is hoping comfort continues to come with time.
Very reassuring. I definitely like the look of the stock seat and would like to keep the "Honda" that's printed at the back of it. I guess one option is to take/send it to an upholsterer with experience working on motorcycle seats. There are a ton of them out there and from what I've seen, they charge between $75 to $100. But I'm going to give the stock seat a few more hundred miles before doing that and see if I'm as lucky as you guys.
 
Thread starter
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
I just spent 7 days in the saddle of my sons CB. Nice long ride. 2,194.8 miles.
C'mon geeze, you can't lob out a teaser like that and not follow through! We need a full ride report with all the gory details. Feel free to hijack this thread or start your own. Either way, I'd love to hear about those seven days. And, I'm guessing my 100 miles didn't impress you much.
 
Thanks MG ;) I just arrived home yesterday around 8:15 pm after a few hundred miles.
So, I slept in late this morning, got up, cleaned up the bike, then I headed out to meet friends for lunch after which we rode Sugar Loaf Mountain. It's a local spot with some twists, turns and topography that most people who ride frequent.
Anyway, once home, I unpacked, got caught up on opening mail, did laundry and am now just sitting down to check emails and this forum!
I promise a ride report sometime soon ;)
 
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
Thanks MG ;) I just arrived home yesterday around 8:15 pm after a few hundred miles.
So, I slept in late this morning, got up, cleaned up the bike, then I headed out to meet friends for lunch after which we rode Sugar Loaf Mountain. It's a local spot with some twists, turns and topography that most people who ride frequent.
Anyway, once home, I unpacked, got caught up on opening mail, did laundry and am now just sitting down to check emails and this forum!
I promise a ride report sometime soon ;)
I did two laps around Sugar Loaf Mountain today, then around to Winter Garden for brunch and back home to Mount Dora via Binion Road and 441, later a round trip to Winter Park. I always look for another CB1100 because I know you're out there, but have yet to see one in the wild. Anyway, great riding on the first cool day of the season.
 
The AirHawk is working for me on longer-distance trips. It's almost the only accessory I kept from the DL1000. Fa
The only downside IMO is you can't slide side to side in twisties...which isn't a big deal in South Florida.
 
Interesting you found the stock suspension too stiff. I think most find it woefully under-damped. If I may ask, how much do you weigh?
 
Thread starter
AzBob_imp said:
Interesting you found the stock suspension too stiff. I think most find it woefully under-damped. If I may ask, how much do you weigh?
That is interesting. I'll have to look into what others are experiencing. I weigh 190 lbs. Certainly not light enough to cause the stiffness I'm feeling and not heavy enough to be bottoming out on small bumps in the road. This is my sixth motorcycle and it is by far the roughest, harshest ride. I hope to remedy that soon though!

There's another thread here: Rear Shocks- OUCH ! where you'll find that I'm not alone in finding the stock setup way too stiff. Seems like a number of people are feeling the same thing I am.
 
Back
Top