importing a CB1100RS into the US

jdiv_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Hi all,

Has anyone attempted to import a CB1100RS into the US? I did a quick search and didnt really find anything. Obviously the RS is gorgeous and worth bringing in on its own merits, but the price with the CAD exchange rate makes it an even sweeter deal.

The bike should be identical from an emissions and DOT perspective to the EX. Honda would likely have to write a letter stating as such (has anyone contacted them about this?).
 
Bringing a non-US vehicle into the US is not hard - thousands are driven over the border daily (and then driven back out). Registering and titling, and even insuring one is the problem - nearly impossible.

All US spec models have a VIN that must be from the manufacturer's database for US model specs. Even if the identical model were sold here, it couldn't be done. Additionally, there would only be the Canadian warranty - American Honda cannot honor the warranty.
 
Up until shortly after 2000, it wasn't very hard. I brought in a VTR1000 Firestorm and registered it in North Carolina (I was in the Air Force at the time). However, shortly there after, one of our pilots tried to get a Ducati into the states and customs wouldn't let him have it. They gave him two options (So he said), send it back, or watch it burn.
Now, the bike has to be over 20 years old (I believe, but don't quote me on that).
 
Welcome to the Forum jdiv.

What Cormanus said.

I know people who brought bikes into the U.S., however, there is paperwork and certifications that must be met.

When not elsewhere, you will be here.
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
Bringing a non-US vehicle into the US is not hard - thousands are driven over the border daily (and then driven back out). Registering and titling, and even insuring one is the problem - nearly impossible.

All US spec models have a VIN that must be from the manufacturer's database for US model specs. Even if the identical model were sold here, it couldn't be done. Additionally, there would only be the Canadian warranty - American Honda cannot honor the warranty.
The warranty issue is a concern, I will talk to honda and see what they have to say about it (might require voiding the warranty, though its a honda, so maybe not a big deal)

I live in NY state and they do not require a US vin, they require only that it meet NYS safety and emissions (i.e. pass an NYS inspection), have proof of ownership (local title is ok), and have the appropriate CBP paperwork. In order to get that, I would need to get honda to state in a letter that it is equivalent in emissions and safety to the CB1100EX. Still not sure about that as I have not contacted honda just yet (was hoping someone had done this before :) )

As far as insurance, I got a quote from progressive and the only model listed was CB1100. No trim level listed. I will check around to see if the trim is listed elsewhere.

All big challenges, but I have not seen anything impossible just yet. If the CB1100EX wasnt sold here, I would agree, but the fact that a basically equivalent vehicle is sold here is stopping me from giving up hope.

Like I said though, I was hoping to find someone here who has taken the few initial steps (i.e. contacting honda). Maybe I will be the first, I report back on how it goes.
GoldOxide_imp said:
Welcome to the Forum jdiv.

What Cormanus said.

I know people who brought bikes into the U.S., however, there is paperwork and certifications that must be met.

When not elsewhere, you will be here.
Thanks GO

I do believe that this having an equivalent powertrain to the US model CB1100EX could open the door to bringing one in. The question is if honda will write a letter stating as such. Will report back.
 
jdiv_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Bringing a non-US vehicle into the US is not hard - thousands are driven over the border daily (and then driven back out). Registering and titling, and even insuring one is the problem - nearly impossible.

All US spec models have a VIN that must be from the manufacturer's database for US model specs. Even if the identical model were sold here, it couldn't be done. Additionally, there would only be the Canadian warranty - American Honda cannot honor the warranty.
The warranty issue is a concern, I will talk to honda and see what they have to say about it (might require voiding the warranty, though its a honda, so maybe not a big deal)

I live in NY state and they do not require a US vin, they require only that it meet NYS safety and emissions (i.e. pass an NYS inspection), have proof of ownership (local title is ok), and have the appropriate CBP paperwork. In order to get that, I would need to get honda to state in a letter that it is equivalent in emissions and safety to the CB1100EX. Still not sure about that as I have not contacted honda just yet (was hoping someone had done this before :) )

As far as insurance, I got a quote from progressive and the only model listed was CB1100. No trim level listed. I will check around to see if the trim is listed elsewhere.

All big challenges, but I have not seen anything impossible just yet. If the CB1100EX wasnt sold here, I would agree, but the fact that a basically equivalent vehicle is sold here is stopping me from giving up hope.

Like I said though, I was hoping to find someone here who has taken the few initial steps (i.e. contacting honda). Maybe I will be the first, I report back on how it goes.
GoldOxide_imp said:
Welcome to the Forum jdiv.

What Cormanus said.

I know people who brought bikes into the U.S., however, there is paperwork and certifications that must be met.

When not elsewhere, you will be here.
Thanks GO

I do believe that this having an equivalent powertrain to the US model CB1100EX could open the door to bringing one in. The question is if honda will write a letter stating as such. Will report back.
I knew an owner who imported a used Yamaha Road Warrior into the U.S. and the most complicated thing he had to do was ensure the speedometer had MPH as the major scale (vs. the Canadian km/h scale). Getting the replacement part, I recall, was his biggest obstacle. I believe in his case everything else complied and he paid for whatever paperwork fees there were.

- - -

I think it is kind of make work. I understand the major vs. minor speed scales for traditional analogue dials. However, I had 'merican bikes with major MPH and minor (or no) km/h scales. However, each jurisdiction has their rules.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
jdiv_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Bringing a non-US vehicle into the US is not hard - thousands are driven over the border daily (and then driven back out). Registering and titling, and even insuring one is the problem - nearly impossible.

All US spec models have a VIN that must be from the manufacturer's database for US model specs. Even if the identical model were sold here, it couldn't be done. Additionally, there would only be the Canadian warranty - American Honda cannot honor the warranty.
The warranty issue is a concern, I will talk to honda and see what they have to say about it (might require voiding the warranty, though its a honda, so maybe not a big deal)

I live in NY state and they do not require a US vin, they require only that it meet NYS safety and emissions (i.e. pass an NYS inspection), have proof of ownership (local title is ok), and have the appropriate CBP paperwork. In order to get that, I would need to get honda to state in a letter that it is equivalent in emissions and safety to the CB1100EX. Still not sure about that as I have not contacted honda just yet (was hoping someone had done this before :) )

As far as insurance, I got a quote from progressive and the only model listed was CB1100. No trim level listed. I will check around to see if the trim is listed elsewhere.

All big challenges, but I have not seen anything impossible just yet. If the CB1100EX wasnt sold here, I would agree, but the fact that a basically equivalent vehicle is sold here is stopping me from giving up hope.

Like I said though, I was hoping to find someone here who has taken the few initial steps (i.e. contacting honda). Maybe I will be the first, I report back on how it goes.
GoldOxide_imp said:
Welcome to the Forum jdiv.

What Cormanus said.

I know people who brought bikes into the U.S., however, there is paperwork and certifications that must be met.

When not elsewhere, you will be here.
Thanks GO

I do believe that this having an equivalent powertrain to the US model CB1100EX could open the door to bringing one in. The question is if honda will write a letter stating as such. Will report back.
I knew an owner who imported a used Yamaha Road Warrior into the U.S. and the most complicated thing he had to do was ensure the speedometer had MPH as the major scale (vs. the Canadian km/h scale). Getting the replacement part, I recall, was his biggest obstacle. I believe in his case everything else complied and he paid for whatever paperwork fees there were.

- - -

I think it is kind of make work. I understand the major vs. minor speed scales for traditional analogue dials. However, I had 'merican bikes with major MPH and minor (or no) km/h scales. However, each jurisdiction has their rules.
I knew an owner who imported a used Yamaha Road Warrior into the U.S. and the most complicated thing he had to do was ensure the speedometer had MPH as the major scale (vs. the Canadian km/h scale). Getting the replacement part, I recall, was his biggest obstacle. I believe in his case everything else complied and he paid for whatever paperwork fees there were.

- - -

I think it is kind of make work. I understand the major vs. minor speed scales for traditional analogue dials. However, I had 'merican bikes with major MPH and minor (or no) km/h scales. However, each jurisdiction has their rules.
I agree that is a BS requirement. But should be easy to do since the EX gauge should swap right in. Do you know if he had to do that before it crossed the border or before it passed inspection?
 
jdiv_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
jdiv_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Bringing a non-US vehicle into the US is not hard - thousands are driven over the border daily (and then driven back out). Registering and titling, and even insuring one is the problem - nearly impossible.

All US spec models have a VIN that must be from the manufacturer's database for US model specs. Even if the identical model were sold here, it couldn't be done. Additionally, there would only be the Canadian warranty - American Honda cannot honor the warranty.
The warranty issue is a concern, I will talk to honda and see what they have to say about it (might require voiding the warranty, though its a honda, so maybe not a big deal)

I live in NY state and they do not require a US vin, they require only that it meet NYS safety and emissions (i.e. pass an NYS inspection), have proof of ownership (local title is ok), and have the appropriate CBP paperwork. In order to get that, I would need to get honda to state in a letter that it is equivalent in emissions and safety to the CB1100EX. Still not sure about that as I have not contacted honda just yet (was hoping someone had done this before :) )

As far as insurance, I got a quote from progressive and the only model listed was CB1100. No trim level listed. I will check around to see if the trim is listed elsewhere.

All big challenges, but I have not seen anything impossible just yet. If the CB1100EX wasnt sold here, I would agree, but the fact that a basically equivalent vehicle is sold here is stopping me from giving up hope.

Like I said though, I was hoping to find someone here who has taken the few initial steps (i.e. contacting honda). Maybe I will be the first, I report back on how it goes.
GoldOxide_imp said:
Welcome to the Forum jdiv.

What Cormanus said.

I know people who brought bikes into the U.S., however, there is paperwork and certifications that must be met.

When not elsewhere, you will be here.
Thanks GO

I do believe that this having an equivalent powertrain to the US model CB1100EX could open the door to bringing one in. The question is if honda will write a letter stating as such. Will report back.
I knew an owner who imported a used Yamaha Road Warrior into the U.S. and the most complicated thing he had to do was ensure the speedometer had MPH as the major scale (vs. the Canadian km/h scale). Getting the replacement part, I recall, was his biggest obstacle. I believe in his case everything else complied and he paid for whatever paperwork fees there were.

- - -

I think it is kind of make work. I understand the major vs. minor speed scales for traditional analogue dials. However, I had 'merican bikes with major MPH and minor (or no) km/h scales. However, each jurisdiction has their rules.
I knew an owner who imported a used Yamaha Road Warrior into the U.S. and the most complicated thing he had to do was ensure the speedometer had MPH as the major scale (vs. the Canadian km/h scale). Getting the replacement part, I recall, was his biggest obstacle. I believe in his case everything else complied and he paid for whatever paperwork fees there were.

- - -

I think it is kind of make work. I understand the major vs. minor speed scales for traditional analogue dials. However, I had 'merican bikes with major MPH and minor (or no) km/h scales. However, each jurisdiction has their rules.
I agree that is a BS requirement. But should be easy to do since the EX gauge should swap right in. Do you know if he had to do that before it crossed the border or before it passed inspection?
I do not recall, however, I am connecting up this weekend for a ride, so I can find out. It was on the west coast U.S.. I seem to recall him just waiting for the part. In the meantime, no plate could be issued, so not "a danger" to others.
 
Or...you could get a deeply discounted new 2014 CB1100 standard and order the parts from Samurider to make it into an RS. I'm not sure which is more hassle--trying to bring one into the U.S. or changing wheel size and fork.
 
There are always some exceptions where something is imported and slips through. 50 states, 50 sets of regulations. A US resident trying to register a new bike in the US would bring up lots of red flags. The state inspection will look for an emissions certification label on the bike and it won't be there. The VIN will not be in the US VIN registry.

When I get insurance on a car or bike, I just give them the VIN, and they know what year make and model it is. They won't insure a vehicle they don't know the value of, or that you can't get parts for. Not worth it for them.

For Honda to import a particular model, it must pass US emissions certification. The actual certification process includes listing the part numbers of each individual part specific to a particular model. This includes anything to do with fuel intake, exhaust, ignition, combustion, down to hose clamps and hardware. Any time there is a manufacturing or design change to one of those affected parts, it is submitted to the EPA who may require it be be re-certified. Very costly.

So it is not very likely that American Honda could write a letter saying the Canadian model is the same. Equivalent is not the same as identical.
 
And cheap at half the price! :D
 
It was in the early nineties when I tried to import a RC 30 from Canada into New York State where I was living. Before I paid the bike in full I contacted Honda USA and explained my plan ( it was a 1989 model ) They send me a LOT of paper work and it became to complicated for me to continue . The Canadian owner returned my deposit and I found a 1990 USA model in Scranton PA , close by to our home near Binghamton NY. Is there perhaps a company in the USA or Canada whom could do the paper work for you ? Good Luck.
 
I have a friend with a collection of JDM motorcycles that were never imported to the U.S. He attaches a dummy plate to them and rides conservatively. He figures that motorcycles are homogeneous enough that a law enforcement officer wouldn't be able to spot something and think "That's not supposed to be here!"

It will not be fun if he's ever pulled over, but for now, he's enjoying himself.
 
i was very sad to find out that i would be unable to title a cb1300 even if i forked over the cash to import one. i think this is the same for all bikes that are not sold in the US. it's some protectionist junk at play....
 
Houtman_imp said:
The only problem with this is when in an accident caused by the rider , insurance will not pay out ?
Not the only problem. In California at least, you can't register a vehicle that is not insured (you can insure an un-registered vehicle, but not too likely).

If the police take an accident report (regardless of who hit who) and find the bike's plate does not match the VIN, the bike is impounded and held until you can show current registration and/or proof of ownership/title. And you will get a ticket for no insurance, and another one for using a plate from another vehicle (fraud), which is usually a misdemeanor, but could be a felony.

If you don't have a title, then to get one, it has to have VIN verification by the DMV if you have legit paperwork. Plus CHP inspection if you have none. Which you can't do without the bike, since it's in impound storage collecting fees. You are really screwed.

So you will owe for the towing, impound lot storage, release fee, plus the expense of titling and registration and the tickets.
 
I fell in love with Honda CG150 bikes I saw in Mexico delivering pizzas while working for a Baja team. I could have easily stashed one in one of our equipment trucks and brought it back, but my friends talked me out of it due to the hassle of making it legal, and 15 minutes of online research confirmed it.
My friend with the fake plate plate? Yeah, he'd be major screwed if he ever got caught, and obviously none of his bikes are insured.
 
Back
Top